• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Competitiveness

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The recent addition of the Most Awesome Arcade here has prompted me to ponder the concept of competitiveness. What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?

T

ThatGirl

I'm not competitive in a win or loose sense but I do like to push myself to better standards by evalutating myself against others. If you can do it how did you do it and is it something I can do, type of thing.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I guess it has something to do with most men being "hunters" by their nature. But, in that case women should be nurturers. I believe that while feminism made progress by having women think themselves equal, it partially failed by making women act like men (which is requirement for success in a male dominated world). This makes women more competitive also, and twists them into something they are not supposed to be.

Myself, I am not competitive at all, never been. I think its because competitiveness is more of an extrovert thing. Only thing that keeps me motivated is the result of the work I do, and maybe achieving something that I couldn't do before.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I'm not very competitive with others.

I tend to pour intensity into my inner psychological "sanctum". I set goals within myself and regiment my lifestyle/work habits to accomplish my desired end.

Sometimes fleshing-out the ideal requires additional craftsmanship - I find that it's important to have an ever-evolving blueprint available. The maturation of which grants greater clarity into one's true goal (sometimes hidden from immediate view).

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The recent addition of the Most Awesome Arcade here has prompted me to ponder the concept of competitiveness. What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?

It's genetic. We're wired to compete with each other for everything: people, food, resources, attention. I'm pretty competitive when I have a chance.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
It's genetic. We're wired to compete with each other for everything: people, food, resources, attention. I'm pretty competitive when I have a chance.

Edahn makes a great point.

Within our competitive nature, we also find hardwired a superabundant urge to pool our resources, as to hedge the probability of our shared genetic code to thrive.

Accommodation and competition are shades of the same conversation.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I find that a bit of healthy competition with females is very attractive.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think competitiveness is natural but I must ask these things to understand....

Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it? Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like to know that I am pushed to improve my performance in various aspects of life. Also, especially for us males, (friendly) competition can teach how to assert yourself, whilst still following "the rules of the game," and how to be gracious in both victory and defeat. Team competition is great at forming bonds of camaraderie with your teammates, as well.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm not competitive with other people. I once had a very long conversation/discussion/argument about competition with a very competitive guy I sat beside in grade 9 science. He said, as ThatGirl said, that he can only measure his own success and can only push himself by trying to better another person. I said that I only measure against myself, and that before I can be better than someone who is better than myself I have to be better than myself in the first place, so I just focus on that. Most of the stuff i like to do you couldn't really compete in anyway (i.e. music... it's pretty difficult to measure if someone is better or makes better music unless they learn in the exact same way in the same amount of time and play the same style).

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I don't know if I necessarily gain anything from being competitive. I compete simply because I think that it's fun. Regardless, I still try to keep the feelings of others in mind. Therefore, even when I really really want to, I often refrain from yelling, "Suck it, bitch!"

I suppose that I could gain the knowledge that I'm better at something than someone else. . . but honestly, I think more about the billions of people out there that are still better than me. Except for Snake. . . I'm definitely the best Snake player EVER.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?

I think some people are competitive and some just aren't. No reason or rhyme to it - although I'd say you could guage how competitive someone could be based on their type. Perhaps the root cause is a drive to prove yourself to others, competing with yourself, or maybe you're just good at something and love doing it better than others.
I like competing against both men and women. In areas physical and non-physical. All the boggle/scrabble players that can really kick my ass are women.
I think by competing with people you understand each other better - that could be several things. For example, you realize how much you dislike someone, like someone, respect someone, enjoy being around them in all kinds of situations (not just non-competitive), and you can certainly learn more about yourself when competing.
I, myself, can be competitive under the right circumstances. But, as an INFJ, it has to be something I'm invested in and care a lot about. I couldn't care less for debating about politics and sports or board games, for the post part, and so I won't go through the trouble and waste energy to endure the conflict and confrontation to put my views out there. I come from a family of competitors and their always saying, 'hey let's play dominoes/cards..." and I don't want to go near that bed of trash talking.
On the other hand, music, movies, food/coffee, and weight lifting (random, yes) I'm very open for debating on/being competitive in.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it?
I don't believe anyone thinks that we should exercise it just because it's natural, except maybe Nietzsche.

Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?
I think you can generalize that morally favorable competition has ground rules while unfavorable competition doesn't. Anything goes in war, cheating and killing are practically mandatory. In a soccer match those things are frowned upon.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think competitiveness is natural but I must ask these things to understand....

Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it? Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?

No, because I don't think you can really build an ethical system based on what's "natural" because if you zoom out enough, everything people do is "natural." To me, ethics are about responsibility and being conscious of a certain outcome, so, having natural urges is one thing, but how to express those urges is another.

Things like war aren't always frowned upon. Some wars are seen as helping oppressed civilians. I think what people are bothered by is not the competition, but the intention. If a country goes in to make life better for the underdog, they're given some leeway to hurt others. If a county is looking out for its own needs and neglecting the welfare of others, some (but certainly not all) will look down upon it. Then again, some people (Ghandi, many Buddhist, Jains) always frown upon active aggression.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
On the other hand, music, movies, food/coffee, and weight lifting (random, yes) I'm very open for debating on/competitive in.

I could use some workout tips. And some movie/music debates!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm competetive though you would never guess it by looking at me. I don't care if I win or lose but I do care if I try my best. I like a challenge. speaking of which I need to get back to tetris so I can get 1st place.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, because I don't think you can really build an ethical system based on what's "natural" because if you zoom out enough, everything people do is "natural." To me, ethics are about responsibility and being conscious of a certain outcome, so, having natural urges is one thing, but how to express those urges is another.

What if I say that I think it's unethical and irresponsible of you that you are always winning at Solitaire because I want to win, and when I don't it is detrimental to my natural urge to have a healthy self-esteem, which winning at Solitaire helps to build. Just sayin...

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What if I say that I think it's unethical and irresponsible of you that you are always winning at Solitaire because I want to win, and when I don't it is detrimental to my natural urge to have a healthy self-esteem, which winning at Solitaire helps to build. Just sayin...

:violin:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Except for Snake. . . I'm definitely the best Snake player EVER.

I agree.

There are certain games in which I'm unswerving in my lack of compromise.

Mario Kart 64, for example. I briefly held a national record in Wario Stadium.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it really fair to dismiss aggression or might as a legitimate means to compete?