• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If someone's views...

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
...disrespect you as a person (i.e. they're homophobic, racist, etc.), do you still owe their beliefs respect?

Why or why not?

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Respect them for being a living creature, not their beliefs ... Sometimes the emphasis really is on creature though :newwink:

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...disrespect you as a person (i.e. they're homophobic, racist, etc.), do you still owe their beliefs respect?

No. Respect is a two-way street.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
they don't deserve your respect. which brings me to the next thing. you know that thing (I can't find it because I can't remember exactly what it says) but it's why people get walked on. like the wise don't react or some shit. ok most of the time it's not good idea to react but if you just lie there expect to be taken advantage of it's. it's one of the reason the government is raping us and spoiling the corporations because of that philosophy.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm only gonna respect their right to an opinion, not the opinion itself, and certainly not them as a person.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always say everyone has a story and a right to tell that story in his/her/unlabeled voice but that's it. I don't have to respect the story or the person.

Gah...that's basically what [MENTION=11809]Hive[/MENTION] just said....

xisnotx

Permabanned
life's too short to hate. i'm not perfect either...
if i got upset over every racist, i'm pretty much doing exactly what they want me to...

and besides, it's not like my own opinions are universally loved..

it's more about actions, at the end of the day. and if you're not acting right, i just cut you out of my life...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If possible i show them this:

and then laugh at them and try to make a face similar to this :-----DDDDD

So no, i dont respect their ideas and i dont care if i offend them by telling them that they are retarded and going to great details on explaining why just to piss them off :D

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't feel that i owe anyone respect, especially if they have none for me. it's a privilege, not a right.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Why or why not?

No, but there's a naive part of me that thinks I might be able to change their mind somehow. I'm probably wrong.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No.

Why? Strange question. Why is it assumed that respect should be given in the first place?

Alea_iacta_est

One should respect other's freedom to voice their own opinions.

One should not however, immediately respect those opinions, especially if they are fucking idiotic.

That's the glorious part of free speech, you can say whatever you want, but others can too, so there is a nice balance.

If someone were to say something offensive, they have the right to, but you also have the right to attack their opinions.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The odds are high that this thread is a subtle dig at me.

Anyway, I don't really care if someone disagrees with me about my ideology/views, as I am confident in them so it doesn't worry me what anyone else thinks.

What upsets me is when people insult me personally. There's an important difference between harassment and political debate/freedom which I think should be legally recognised.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I respect actions, not beliefs. Oskar Schindler was a member of the Nazi party but he did a great deal of good.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No.

Why? Strange question. Why is it assumed that respect should be given in the first place?

This. I know it is rather common to respect until something is done to cause withdrawal or to trust until a person becomes untrustworthy but, I never understood it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do not owe their beliefs respect. There is, however, a naive part of me that thinks they might change some day, and I wonder if maybe I could play some part in that. I'm probably wrong on this, though.

I also pity people like that.

However, my ideals regarding this are sort of libertarian. I also don't always live up to my ideals in this regard. I think if you silence them, you make it look like they have a point. Arguing with them is fine, though.