• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Creativity

LucrativeSid

Are you creative, and in what ways are you creative?

How do you think creativity works in the mind?

Are there ways to increase creativity?

Is creativity correlated to intelligence and/or mental illness and depression?

Q1: Yes. I write, write music, perform, draw, paint, make up jokes, build things, make websites, design systems, fix things, modify things, use my imagination, dance, solve problems, make inventions, perceive things in new ways, etc...

Q2: I don't understand the question.

Q3: You can probably increase creativity by creating things, but that's not really much of an answer. Stop thinking too much, stop worrying about results, and reach a state of flow. When you create, it's not about the creation, really. Nor is it about you, meaning your ego. It's about being. When you're really there, you're everywhere. If you're not there, you're just making it hard on yourself.

Q4: Correlated? Yes.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?

My high creativity comes natural, I can't help it!...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Rarely. Mostly in thinking of unusual ways that things are related to or connected to one another.

Spontaneously. It occurs when you happen to be thinking of two disparate things at once, and notice patterns in them that match up just right, sometimes just showing a connection, sometimes creating something new out of them.

Not consciously, but a person's creative ability can wax and wane. I do think that having had more varieties of experiences, meditating, and trying repeatedly to apply ideas out of context while making them fit in a different way than they were intended to can help.

Neither. Creativity is a talent that is not really related to either. Intelligence can enhance a person's ability to express and articulate creativity, but is not correlated with their actual creativity. Certain kinds of mental illness can occur more easily in creative people due to their being less attuned to reality and more prone to delusions, but there is no other correlation.

The problem is that creativity is passe.

Both creativity and empathy are products of literacy.

And the Age of Literacy is passing.

We are entering the age of the telegraph, the telephone, the television and the internet.

We are entering the Noosphere.

And the Noosphere produces Presence.

As we drive forward into the future, we look in the rear vision mirror and see creativity and empathy.

But as we look through the windscreen, we see Presence.

That's regrettable. Presence is a poor substitute for creativity and empathy.