• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are women obsessed with shoes?

Qre:us

What is it about shoes, in particular, that seem to be an obsession with women*?

* I know, not all women, but it seems like a frequent enough phenomenon.

I ask as I don't get it myself. I have personal quirks, things that I buy a lot of - perfumes, and earrings, namely. But I don't get the shoes phenomenon.

Yet, there's a stereotype that has some basis in reality regarding women and shoes, in particular. What's behind this? What is it about shoes that is so irresistible?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's the promise of transformation! The right pair of shoes can so elevate any outfit. And the choices are endless. It's the giddiness of the kid in the candy store.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shoes are good. They can add a pop or be really simple and nice and just go with everything. Also not having to put them on my body is nice in a way. Clothes shopping can be hard. Shoes are easy.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Clothes shopping can be hard. Shoes are easy.

I'm not a shoe fiend like some ladies are, but to the extent that I enjoy buying new shoes, this is why. I hate clothes shopping. It's depressing. Shoe shopping doesn't remind me of my huge ass.

gromit

likes this

WOW it has been a lot of years since I've seen this video. Still fabulous. Those shoes are mine betch.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION], haha yes!

Qre:us

I wonder what the psychology is between shoes and addiction, for women?

[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], that makes sense, as feet don't yo-yo (as much) in size, as body shapes do, for women.

I'm sure it also has to do with how arched shoes (heels) also elongate the legs, and accentuates the buttocks, and the sway of the hips while walking, thus, associating it with women and their sexuality.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Quite simply, women's fashion is more complicated, and so women have many more shoes to choose from. A "core" set of shoes, for women, in order to stay trendy, would probably be:
- Casual sandals
- Work sandals
- Casual flats
- Work flats
- Work heels
- Party heels
- Winter boots
- Gym shoes
- Shower sandals

Whereas for men it would probably be
- Work shoes
- Casual shoes/gym shoes
- Shower sandals

Women are told that heels go with particular outfits and flats with others. We're told that no one pair of shoes can go with every work or casual outfit. I'm not sure whether women started this, or men, but those are the rules of the game, and you can choose to either play, and have that big collection of shoes, or not play, and do what men do.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Father: Kelly, where are you going?
Kelly: Out.
Mother: Whore.

Lol

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]: I've solved this problem by not giving a flying fuck about "the rules of the game" and just wearing the shoes I like whenever I want to wear them. I never wear heels. I have one pair of gym/running shoes and some beach/shower shoes. But I don't really do what men do, either-- my area of indulgence is in casual comfort shoes, and I have more pairs of those than I really need. None of them are "sexy" or whatever- but I think they're cool and fun and comfy.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Shoes always fit. Unlike clothes which fit differently depending on weight fluctuation. But, EJCC is right. Women have a lot of shoe options with corresponding occasions.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is it about shoes, in particular, that seem to be an obsession with women*?

* I know, not all women, but it seems like a frequent enough phenomenon.

I ask as I don't get it myself. I have personal quirks, things that I buy a lot of - perfumes, and earrings, namely. But I don't get the shoes phenomenon.

Yet, there's a stereotype that has some basis in reality regarding women and shoes, in particular. What's behind this? What is it about shoes that is so irresistible?

Lol no idea. Though I'm female but no stereotype. Until recently, I hated shopping for clothes, if I was in need of updating my wardrobe, I'd just go out to buy everything in one go, in one afternoon, I always had a really goal oriented way of executing it. I'll tell you this, I was always terribly picky in the shoes department. Picky with everything clothes related but especially the shoes! Would often take me an extra afternoon to find one pair of shoes. Then I'd wear that pair everywhere for a year. Then buy a new one, repeat process...

Well what changed, I do look around more often when I happen to go to a place with shops, a shopping mall or street etc, for whatever reason e.g. eating out, and sometimes I'll pick up something nice, piece of clothing, pair of shoes, etc. I find this way I have more chance of finding exactly what I want, the stuff that's exactly my style etc. But it does have the side effect that I do buy a bit more :D So I now have more than one pair of shoes, whoops! :shock:

Anyway, I still don't get what's so special about shoes. It's still just one piece of clothing to me. Except the extra pickiness, sure, it's hard to explain why that's though. :dry:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]: I've solved this problem by not giving a flying fuck about "the rules of the game" and just wearing the shoes I like whenever I want to wear them. I never wear heels. I have one pair of gym/running shoes and some beach/shower shoes. But I don't really do what men do, either-- my area of indulgence is in casual comfort shoes, and I have more pairs of those than I really need. None of them are "sexy" or whatever- but I think they're cool and fun and comfy.
Good for you! Heels are bad for your feet, anyway -- I avoid them too. Besides that, I try to play the game, I guess.

Though I'm way more into scarves, than shoes. I have about twice as many scarves as shoes.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I should hook you up with my mother-in-law- she has never once seen me wear a scarf, but she still gives me one on every gift giving occasion. :D

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But, EJCC is right. Women have a lot of shoe options with corresponding occasions.

I think women have a lot of options with pretty much everything when it comes to fashion. :D Guy fashion is so boring! It's so limited and monotonous. I try to make my outfits as lively as possible but it's hard!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Fortunately, Jonny Weir is blazing a trail for the menfolk.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quite simply, women's fashion is more complicated, and so women have many more shoes to choose from. A "core" set of shoes, for women, in order to stay trendy, would probably be:
- Casual sandals
- Work sandals
- Casual flats
- Work flats
- Work heels
- Party heels
- Winter boots
- Gym shoes
- Shower sandals

(...)
Women are told that heels go with particular outfits and flats with others. We're told that no one pair of shoes can go with every work or casual outfit. I'm not sure whether women started this, or men, but those are the rules of the game, and you can choose to either play, and have that big collection of shoes, or not play, and do what men do.

Lol god what a silly game. I do get the idea that some shoes don't go well with some clothes but beyond that... pfft, I never had sandals or specific party gear and only recently bought pair of high heels. They're nice btw but I still try to walk as fast in them as possible lol. Don't get me wrong, I like to dress up nice in my own style but I couldn't give a rat's ass about certain styles, like the work sandals/heels idea for example. Maybe you are slowly starting to guess what my dressing style is like, then. :newwink:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should hook you up with my mother-in-law- she has never once seen me wear a scarf, but she still gives me one on every gift giving occasion. :D
:laugh: Wow. Doesn't help that you live in completely the wrong part of the country for that!
I think women have a lot of options with pretty much everything when it comes to fashion. :D Guy fashion is so boring! It's so limited and monotonous. I try to make my outfits as lively as possible but it's hard!
I KNOW. The world would be so much more interesting if guys could have wardrobes as varied as women's.

(Side note: I think a lot of guys could benefit from mascara and eyeliner.)
Lol god what a silly game. I do get the idea that some shoes don't go well with some clothes but beyond that... pfft, I never had sandals or specific party gear and only recently bought pair of high heels. Don't get me wrong, I like to dress up nice in my own style but I couldn't give a rat's ass about certain styles, like the work sandals/heels idea for example. Maybe you are slowly starting to guess what my dressing style is like, then. :newwink:
:laugh: Yep. No judgment here, though.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Quite simply, women's fashion is more complicated,
Yeah, I noticed. :shock:

For guys it's fairly simple. Black shoes with a black or gray suit, brown shoes with a brown or blue suit, although you can do black shoes with a blue suit if it's pretty dark. Your socks should match your pants, and your belt should match your shoes. With braces you have more leeway.

Is there standard operating procedure for women? :shrug:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My standard operating procedure:

Black or grey yoga pants
Whatever colorful shirt I feel like wearing
Shoes in the same color family as the shirt (or another one, IDGAF)