• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Irrational longing for over 10 years

jaque158

Ok, I'm 18 and for the last 10 years I have had a longing for magic, monsters, and such to be real(like off of harry potter, full metal alchemist, fairy tail, warehouse 13, etc.) I was wondering if there is any cognitive reason as to this longing. I think it might be b/c, due to these shows, I associate magic with a strong sense of belonging, friendship, and never-ending adventure. Any ideas?

W

WhoCares

No idea. But when you find out can you PM me since I've obssessed over LOTR for the past 3 decades.....:D

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, everyone has to make life a little more interesting...

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe because you’re 18, albeit, I’ve met many 40, 50 and some 60 year olds who still glom onto longings of this type. Surprisingly many of them were able to work jobs, raise families, and lead productively happy lives while blending into the fabric of society.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You really need to read "the Magicians" by Lev Grossman. The main character is this dude who is depressed he has to go to College, because he still longs for Narnia and Hogwarts and such. And he ends up finding a magical realm, but it's nothing like he expected it to be.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I thought my stuffed animals were alive (in a secret Toy Story sort of way) well into high school. I mean, I knew they weren't, intellectually, but I remember feeling really guilty, about putting them in a garbage bag in my closet. I thought I was somehow hurting their feelings,

L

LadyLazarus

1.)Somehow get into MIT, learn computer-y things and graduate with a computer-y major.
2.)Get addicted to WoW or something like that, re-read Harry Potter and LoTR. Play all the LoZ games consecutively. All within the span of 48 hours. No coffee or energy drinks.
3.)Be so far gone from lack of sleep that you attempt to build a virtual reality helmet from a toaster and parts of your childhood Furby doll.
4.)Succeed in doing so somehow.
5.)Think of David Hasslehoff(sexually or no-sexually is up to you; I don't judge.)
6.)Think of how great he was in "Click".
7.)Put on the virtual Furby helmet, which will not stop asking you to feed it human flesh.
8.)Get electrocuted by said Furby helmet(fatally or non-fatally; like I said I don't judge)
9.)Viola! Narnia.

Or you know; LSD.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there are plenty of adults who love fantasy novels until they die. i wouldn't worry about it. as long as you keep your fantasy world...somewhat compartmentalized, i think you're solid.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How serious is this "longing"? You know some people saw the 3D movie Avatar, and became suicidal because they could never live on a planet like Pandora. I hope it hasn't gotten this far.

But I can tell you that there is magical things out there, but you have to open your eyes. Pandora for example, much of the planet's flora and fauna was based on Cameron's 10+ years scuba diving, much of it coral dives.

As an amateur scuba diver, I've seen where the inspiration comes from, plants on coral the shoot downward in a microsecond if you try to touch them, one of MANY examples.

But as far as looking for a Hogwarts, hmmmm, probably out of luck. You can always practice White Magick. But stay away from Black, trust me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I'm 18 and for the last 10 years I have had a longing for magic, monsters, and such to be real(like off of harry potter, full metal alchemist, fairy tail, warehouse 13, etc.) I was wondering if there is any cognitive reason as to this longing. I think it might be b/c, due to these shows, I associate magic with a strong sense of belonging, friendship, and never-ending adventure. Any ideas?

Another explanation:

Escapism

Realize that there are beautiful, magical things in this life to find. And realize that if you have trouble finding them, create them yourself. Love of fantasy, luckily is something shared by many, you can use this to connect to people and go on real adventures, if only in LARPland. ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm 23 and I still want superpowers. Totally normal.

(I also agree that it's boredom and escapism. You'll probably long for it less if more of your "real world" meets your needs.)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Join the club...

LadyRain

MBTI Type
INFJ

"Fantasies are not frivolous. They can be entertaining, distracting, frightening, even arousing, but they also allow for creativity and help us plan for the future. As long as we don't mistake fantasies for reality (as in delusional disorder and schizophrenia) or let them become too rigid (as in paraphilias), they provide a necessary escape from the here and now." - Psychology Today

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't think it'd hold the same charm if it was real though. That's why it's so great.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I also agree that it's boredom and escapism. You'll probably long for it less if more of your "real world" meets your needs.)
^
This.

Also, I find that fantasies are okay in moderation, and can even be a positive thing when I understand the essence of what they're about (whatever I feel I'm missing in my life -- excitement, passion, etc.) so I can try to actually find it in real life. I think fantasies are only negative when people get so absorbed in them that they neglect their external lives instead of trying to improve them.