• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forgiveness

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How do you view it?

Me it's a personal thing if I have a resentment against someone it doesn't affect them. So me forgiving them is more for my piece of mind. I don't need to let them know most of the time I've forgiven them. It's not for them.

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so
Bit of a redundant concept in my mind. Social relationships to me are fluid and not quantitative, there's no 'forgiven' switch, things just are as they are at face value.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Bit of a redundant concept in my mind. Social relationships to me are fluid and not quantitative, there's no 'forgiven' switch, things just are as they are at face value.

So if someone seriously crossed a boundary of yours, you'd be ok with that?

Forgiveness is letting what happened go so you're no longer emotionally hurting over it. Like I said forgiveness in most situations doesn't need to be known.

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so
So if someone seriously crossed a boundary of yours, you'd be ok with that?

Forgiveness is letting what happened go so you're no longer emotionally hurting over it. Like I said forgiveness in most situations doesn't need to be known.

It's not quite as simple as that. Forgiveness holds spiritual connotations as well as ones that absolve one of negative emotion. If someone commits an offense against me then I would consider it improper to begrudge them it for no particular reason. There's always an element of wariness that becomes deep-seated into a relationship because it would be ridiculous not to take previous events into future consideration, so neither guilt has been absolved nor grudge sustained.

Depending on one's perception of forgiveness, that could be considered either total forgiveness or no forgiveness. Perhaps it's incomplete forgiveness.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's not quite as simple as that. Forgiveness holds spiritual connotations as well as ones that absolve one of negative emotion. If someone commits an offense against me then I would consider it improper to begrudge them it for no particular reason. There's always an element of wariness that becomes deep-seated into a relationship because it would be ridiculous not to take previous events into future consideration, so neither guilt has been absolved nor grudge sustained.

Depending on one's perception of forgiveness, that could be considered either total forgiveness or no forgiveness. Perhaps it's incomplete forgiveness.

You can cut some one out of your life and still forgive them. Forgiveness is not ignoring what happened

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so
Fantastic that I didn't imply that, then.

Noon

I like the quote, "to understand is to forgive."

But in order to avoid any connotation of sympathy, I'd change understand to comprehend. Forgiveness then means to relinquish any preoccupation or fixation surrounding a thing that's happened.

I think you should forgive as much as possible - but tolerate only what can stay in a state of having been forgiven. In other words, if there are things that keep coming up, unsettling things that demand to be made good sense of, it's a sign to distance yourself more than just mentally.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like the quote, "to understand is to forgive."

But in order to avoid any connotation of sympathy, I'd change understand to comprehend. Forgiveness then means to relinquish any preoccupation or fixation surrounding a thing that's happened.

I think you should forgive as much as possible - but tolerate only what can stay in a state of having been forgiven. In other words, if there are things that keep coming up, unsettling things that demand to be made good sense of, it's a sign to distance yourself more than just mentally.

Yup