• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What if we didn't have ego?

á´…eparted

passages
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death

This guy I know apparently experienced ego death after taking a lot of mushrooms.

I haven't experienced ego death, but I was fairly close to it. I had lost all emotion completely. Really strange experience, and you can't react to it while you're experiencing it, because that's an emotion. It truly is nothingness and meaninglessness. It's kinda dangerous too.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't experienced ego death, but I was fairly close to it. I had lost all emotion completely. Really strange experience, and you can't react to it while you're experiencing it, because that's an emotion. It truly is nothingness and meaninglessness. It's kinda dangerous too.

I've experienced ego death more times than I can count.

In psychedelic circles, also known as the "death curve." Can be very anxious feeling. And the more a person is attached to their ego, the wilder the ride. But on the other side, temporary enlightenment.

á´…eparted

passages
I've experienced ego death more times than I can count.

I haven't done hallucinogens enough to get to that point, and it's not something I actively seek to experience. If it were to happen then it happens. Based on the experiences I've had though I suspect I'd handle it just fine.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't done hallucinogens enough to get to that point, and it's not something I actively seek to experience. If it were to happen then it happens. Based on the experiences I've had though I suspect I'd handle it just fine.

That's a good attitude. Cuz it's potent, mind altering stuff that should be treated with respect. When the student is ready, the psychedelics arrive.

I think you'd be fine. In fact, I think just about anyone would be, but SOME people would require more proper preparation.

á´…eparted

passages
That's a good attitude. Cuz it's potent, mind altering stuff that should be treated with respect. When the student is ready, the psychedelics arrive.

I think you'd be fine. In fact, I think just about anyone would be, but SOME people would require more proper preparation.

Indeed. The biggest thing is when I do it I go into it thinking "it's temporary, things will undo, then come back" and I never forget that. I've had times where I did not understand that, but I just said "no, accept it, because it is what it is, okie dokie", and it rolls on. It's been years since I've done anything, I'm overdue.

As uptight as I am, I'm able to let go of this sort of thing just fine. It's more that, I have so much trust in myself, that I am completely able to let myself go, because I know even out of control, I will still be "in control" and not do, say, or think anything that would cause something permenant damage/harm. In essence, I know the uncertainty won't do anything bad, so I can completely dive into it. Now if I could just apply that to other aspects of my life... :alttongue:.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Animals are not aware of their existence, they are not aware of their ownselves, so they don't have ego.

That... isn't true. At all.

A horse isn't scared shitless when it swats itself with its tail. And they don't piss themselves when they see their reflection in the water. They have physical awareness of themselves.

Plus, humans couldn't logically prove their own existence until Descartes took seven years of his life to come up with the genius idea "Je pense, donc je suis," I think, therefor I am.

Humans still aren't entirely convinced of their existence. There's a plenty of philosophical theories that say we're really just illusions of some elaborate demonstration. We could be computer programmed beings in a server for people from the future to experience the past, we could be mirrors of another universe and completely without any TRUE free will (and any question of free will being a reflection of the real universe's free will), we could be brains in a vat being stimulated by scientists and completely at their mercy of their test parameters.

So just because a cow doesn't come right out and discuss existential philosophy with you, don't assume things like the cognitive and philosophical capabilities of animals.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That... isn't true. At all.

A horse isn't scared shitless when it swats itself with its tail. And they don't piss themselves when they see their reflection in the water. They have physical awareness of themselves.

Plus, humans couldn't logically prove their own existence until Descartes took seven years of his life to come up with the genius idea "Je pense, donc je suis," I think, therefor I am.

Humans still aren't entirely convinced of their existence. There's a plenty of philosophical theories that say we're really just illusions of some elaborate demonstration. We could be computer programmed beings in a server for people from the future to experience the past, we could be mirrors of another universe and completely without any TRUE free will (and any question of free will being a reflection of the real universe's free will), we could be brains in a vat being stimulated by scientists and completely at their mercy of their test parameters.

So just because a cow doesn't come right out and discuss existential philosophy with you, don't assume things like the cognitive and philosophical capabilities of animals.

Unless, we are really just all, animals.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Unless, we are really just all, animals.

We're just doing the world's bidding we're given power but the animals know we're just silly. They're all like fuck clothes but we get embarrassed when we're naked as we've been conditioned to. They don't need money but society has mad it so we do. Useless pieces of paper with numbers attached. And only so much never mind that it's not actually real. We're dependant on it. Even though most people are going to be born go to school get a job get married and have babies then simply die. We're weak compared to animals we live protectes but we believe we're above them, most people wouldn't survive a week in the wild I know I wouldn't. But it's ok because we all are under the delusion that we're separate and above animals, we simply are them in fact they have a better grasp as to what life is

Mole

Permabanned

I think there is good reason to believe we are the only meaning creating animal. And on top of that, there is good reason to believe we are the only inter-subjective animal.

And putting the two together makes us the most powerful animal on Earth. And of course, with great power comes great responsibility.