• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it ever acceptable to lash out at others due to stress?

Is it ever ok to be extremely rude to someone?

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean, it's not good and people should try not to; but it's forgivable. As for me I would let the person know that they need to stop or I won't want to hang out with them.

It probably gives you bad karma.

I hate it when people do this, and I try not to because I don't like experiencing it. I know I do come off as abrasive and have dumped my emotions onto people though, even when making an effort not to.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People that work in customer service are often treated very rudely, so it would follow that they don't do it themselves. At least, that's my case. Waiting tables, dealing with customers is HARD work considering the pay.

Yea, I work in customer service. And they are rude lol. But I tried not to do it even before I was in that line of work. But I think everyone does this a little. There's no denying that.

I just didn't understand U's statement.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People that work in customer service are often treated very rudely, so it would follow that they don't do it themselves. At least, that's my case. Waiting tables, dealing with customers is HARD work considering the pay.

And it's not always about being treated rudely but also having to answer dumb questions. Of course, if you're a mechanic, you could sometimes use those dumb questions to screw the customer.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea, I work in customer service. And they are rude lol. But I tried not to do it even before I was in that line of work. But I think everyone does this a little. There's no denying that.

I just didn't understand U's statement.

Ohh, actually I forgot to mention that. This is a poll thread and when he posted that, 11 people had said "no" to "Is it ever ok to be extremely rude to someone?"

G

Ginkgo

because of some external situation that is not caused by the person you're being rude to?

I'm going to answer your question with another question. When is anyone ever solely responsible for the behavior of another?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm going to answer your question with another question. When is anyone ever solely responsible for the behavior of another?

where did I say, that it's about being responisble for other's behavior? I'm asking if it's justified. not whether or not it happens. not whether or not you do it. people seriously

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's acceptable to lash out at others in certain instances. In therapist Stephen Grosz' "The Examined Life", he tells of a teenage patient who spits at him every session. The therapist acts as if nothing happened even though it distresses him greatly. This behavior is acceptable because the therapist is trained and gets paid to accept the abuse. The same is true with prison guards; if you're a prison guard, you get paid to be insulted and even violently assaulted.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's acceptable to lash out at others in certain instances. In therapist Stephen Grosz' "The Examined Life", he tells of a teenage patient who spits at him every session. The therapist acts as if nothing happened even though it distresses him greatly. This behavior is acceptable because the therapist is trained and gets paid to accept the abuse. The same is true with prison guards; if you're a prison guard, you get paid to be insulted and even violently assaulted.

I'm pretty sure prison guards find ways to "correct" chronically troublesome inmates.

But after finally figuring out what the OP's question was, my answer is "probably not." OP asks if it's ok to lash out at people because of some OTHER stress. Here's an example of that happening:

He did apologize profusely after.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm pretty sure prison guards find ways to "correct" chronically troublesome inmates.

But after finally figuring out what the OP's question was, my answer is "probably not." OP asks if it's ok to lash out at people because of some OTHER stress. Here's an example of that happening:

He did apologize profusely after.

:yes:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think this depends entirely on the length of anger, the situation, and the person you're directing it to...

I've said before and will say again, PMS is no excuse to be bitchy towards someone. You know it's coming by now, it comes every month, you have an idea of it getting here--it's like people getting stressed out about holidays when they've had all year to plan for it.

... But I know that there are things that push my buttons no matter what I do. People who know me just know that I'm a short fuse during those times.. it's sort of a mutual understanding. I don't really think it's appropriate then to be rude, but I don't necessarily always feel bad for the times I am when it's understood the situation is what it is.

I don't at all find it rude to be honest with yourself and others. You can't be kumbia all the time. People were made to vent their stress. If you say "Hey, I need to just yell at you for a while." and your friend/SO or whatever is cool with it, then it's all good. Making a habit out of things (like always being a raging asshole just because you were stuck in traffic when your job puts you in traffic all the time) isn't really being honest with your emotions, and you're sort of taking liberties where they needn't be. But that doesn't mean being rude all the time is inappropriate. You just can't be nice all the time. Nor would I expect my friends to be that way with me. I don't just want to see them at their best.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes I'm just dealing with things and it makes me not want to be around other people because then I'll just get even more worked up, so even if they don't know I think trying to understand that the person might be going through something is the best way to handle it. So I voted yes.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. If it's okay to be rude, then it's okay to slay someone in anger. It's the same thing, fundamentally.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sometimes I'm just dealing with things and it makes me not want to be around other people because then I'll just get even more worked up, so even if they don't know I think trying to understand that the person might be going through something is the best way to handle it. So I voted yes.

understanding something vs justifying it is different

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think this depends entirely on the length of anger, the situation, and the person you're directing it to...

I've said before and will say again, PMS is no excuse to be bitchy towards someone. You know it's coming by now, it comes every month, you have an idea of it getting here--it's like people getting stressed out about holidays when they've had all year to plan for it.

... But I know that there are things that push my buttons no matter what I do. People who know me just know that I'm a short fuse during those times.. it's sort of a mutual understanding. I don't really think it's appropriate then to be rude, but I don't necessarily always feel bad for the times I am when it's understood the situation is what it is.

I don't at all find it rude to be honest with yourself and others. You can't be kumbia all the time. People were made to vent their stress. If you say "Hey, I need to just yell at you for a while." and your friend/SO or whatever is cool with it, then it's all good. Making a habit out of things (like always being a raging asshole just because you were stuck in traffic when your job puts you in traffic all the time) isn't really being honest with your emotions, and you're sort of taking liberties where they needn't be. But that doesn't mean being rude all the time is inappropriate. You just can't be nice all the time. Nor would I expect my friends to be that way with me. I don't just want to see them at their best.
venting stress is fine. what I'm talking about is for the 5000000th time some one lashing out on someone who did nothing to the other person I mean in terms of harming said person verbally. you can vent at someone without harming them. I mean the person had literally done nothing what so ever to you. They didn't even cut you in line or unknowingly cut you off. you went over to them and were rude.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, I don't think it's ever okay. I mean, it happens, and I've certainly done it, but I don't think it's ideal and I think it's something we should all try to avoid. I don't think it actually ever helps anyone to project anger on the wrong source. It just perpetuates the burden of negativity and it creates more complication to an already-existing problem.

Like [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] said, I think's fine to be emotionally honest and open with people. If you've had a shit day, and you're angry, it's cool to tell people that. And I do think sometimes one just needs to vent and say nasty, angry things, and that's okay. It's fine to get the feels out but I don't think it's healing or fair to turn it into a major source of stress on anyone who has nothing to do with the situation.

I took great pleasure in being overly sweet to people who were screaming at me, it only made them angrier, which was like delicious, delicious tears in my cup of daily joy.

:laugh:

I work part-time in retail at a slightly snobby store, and of course that attracts snobby customers, so we get some real assholes sometimes. I used to have such a hard time dealing with them. I used to get so mad at them and sometimes be a jerk back but that only made me feel like crap afterwards. Then I guess I saw the light, and now I play the game with them of trying to "crack" them to get to the humanity within. It seems like usually they get frustrated first, then they wrestle with whether to stay angry or to get okay. I know you probably didn't have the ability to do this on the phone, but sometimes it's fascinating to watch their faces when they're transitioning from projecting anger to moving beyond it, it's this weird almost painful look. Like they're fighting themselves or something.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Like [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] said, I think's fine to be emotionally honest and open with people. If you've had a shit day, and you're angry, it's cool to tell people that. And I do think sometimes one just needs to vent and say nasty, angry things, and that's okay. It's fine to get the feels out but I don't think it's healing or fair to turn it into a major source of stress on anyone who has nothing to do with the situation.
:yes:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
venting stress is fine. what I'm talking about is for the 5000000th time some one lashing out on someone who did nothing to the other person I mean in terms of harming said person verbally. you can vent at someone without harming them. I mean the person had literally done nothing what so ever to you. They didn't even cut you in line or unknowingly cut you off. you went over to them and were rude.

I find my answer still stands. If it's someone you know, and you know the situation they're in, absolutely it would be okay if my sister just walked in and started screaming at me. If I knew she was stressed out and she walked in and took her anger out on me, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Water off my back.

But if she was like that all the time, yeah, I'd put a cork in her. If she was like that every time she went to a baby shower, I'd tell her to stop going to baby shower or to stop talking to me after them. The situations present themselves differently, and so my response is different. I'm not going to tolerate someone being rude all the time and grating on my nerves, or a stranger coming up and starting shit... but an occasional outburst from someone is absolutely acceptable. People say things they don't mean, do things they regret.. so I'm generally fine with that.

You have to be emotionally honest with yourself too. If they're like that all the time--chances are it isn't because of you. If they're like that after certain triggers, it's safe to say they aren't personally mad at you. Just because someone is being rude doesn't mean you have every right in the world to just take everything said personal. It's important to evaluate what's meant to be personal jabs and what is not. Usually in this situation, it is never personal.

If I got truly upset and took personal each time someone did something they later on didn't mean at all and apologized for I'd have no friends or loved ones. If I didn't take into consideration my sister always gets bitchy when she's working 60+ hours a week with kids at home, I'd probably never talk to her. Sometimes it's just life and it's normal. What you're talking about seems like a particular situation, in which case I refer to my original thought. It just depends.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I find my answer still stands. If it's someone you know, and you know the situation they're in, absolutely it would be okay if my sister just walked in and started screaming at me. If I knew she was stressed out and she walked in and took her anger out on me, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Water off my back.

But if she was like that all the time, yeah, I'd put a cork in her. If she was like that every time she went to a baby shower, I'd tell her to stop going to baby shower or to stop talking to me after them. The situations present themselves differently, and so my response is different. I'm not going to tolerate someone being rude all the time and grating on my nerves, or a stranger coming up and starting shit... but an occasional outburst from someone is absolutely acceptable. People say things they don't mean, do things they regret.. so I'm generally fine with that.

You have to be emotionally honest with yourself too. If they're like that all the time--chances are it isn't because of you. If they're like that after certain triggers, it's safe to say they aren't personally mad at you. Just because someone is being rude doesn't mean you have every right in the world to just take everything said personal. It's important to evaluate what's meant to be personal jabs and what is not. Usually in this situation, it is never personal.

If I got truly upset and took personal each time someone did something they later on didn't mean at all and apologized for I'd have no friends or loved ones. If I didn't take into consideration my sister always gets bitchy when she's working 60+ hours a week with kids at home, I'd probably never talk to her. Sometimes it's just life and it's normal. What you're talking about seems like a particular situation, in which case I refer to my original thought. It just depends.

the thing is the hypothetical situation i'm referring to you don't. you barely know the person.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

the thing is the hypothetical situation i'm referring to you don't. you barely know the person.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I generally tolerate a lot less and have little patience with strangers.. so if someone just walks up and starts acting rude to me, I'm going to try shutting them down very quickly. ... Or in the case of the random drug-addict trying to claim he was a city parking person on my vacation, yell at him until he runs away.