• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Men, Women, and Monkeys (split)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally can't keep myself from making that sort of jacking, "you're full of shit" gesture every time I read one of those incredibly gender dividing comments. :rolli:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally can't keep myself from making that sort of jacking, "you're full of shit" gesture every time I read one of those incredibly gender dividing comments. :rolli:

:high-five:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh yeah, us guys and gals are like totally the same when it comes to sex and sexual desires. :rolli:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, us guys and gals are like totally the same when it comes to sex and sexual desires. :rolli:

i like to be coddled and dominated
and its nice to have my hair stroked as i cry
resting my weary head upon the lap of my lover

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think the differences between men and women are vastly over-rated. Most of them are socially formed. Of course, being social creations, they are subject to popular belief, so ironically, people like you reinforce their existence even as you complain about them.

And for the record, the majority of the time you make some snarky comment about men and women, your depiction of women is closer to what I'm like. :dry:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
i like to be coddled and dominated
and its nice to have my hair stroked as i cry
resting my weary head upon the lap of my lover

I think the differences between men and women are vastly over-rated. Most of them are socially formed. Of course, being social creations, they are subject to popular belief, so ironically, people like you reinforce their existence even as you complain about them.

And for the record, the majority of the time you make some snarky comment about men and women, your depiction of women is closer to what I'm like. :dry:
Word up.

Y'all are exceptions to the *general* rule.

I am pretty exceptional too.

Rock on!!!

:D

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Captain Chick said:
If us gals had the balls, (har-har) to actually explicitly state what turns us on, in detail, y'all would be shocked/bewildered.

Hey! I totally opened up in this thread! See my steamy, detailed, sexy post a couple pages back.

Magic said:
I personally can't keep myself from making that sort of jacking, "you're full of shit" gesture every time I read one of those incredibly gender dividing comments.

+1

It's a pet peeve of mine to read or hear someone make broad generalizations about how "all men act" or how "all women behave." It's like, are you kidding?

I don't mind when people make generalizations about men and women in jest or mockery, but when they are completely serious about dividing the human experience into what males experience and what females experience, I just don't understand the logic. If you want to talk about how men and women differ physiologically or societally, and how THAT might have an impact on their behavior, go ahead, but don't try to take universal human emotions and experiences and assign them exclusively and totally to one sex or the other, rather than to the realm of all humans. :coffee: There may indeed be experiences that apply exclusively to one sex or the other, but it's important to try discern the difference between (1) societal conditioning and/or physiological-based differences and (2) what are most likely universal human experiences, and it's important to try not to blur those lines too much or with reckless abandon. I guess the thing I hate most about these generalizations is that they're not carefully or well thought-out.

WOAH. Mempy just got serious on your asses. ;)

Edited to add:

I also agree with Magic that the differences between men and women are just vastly exaggerated.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Pssht.

I've sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo done my research on this subject.

I actually happen to exhibit plenty of androgynous characteristics as well.

Go do some research on the physiological effects of estrogen and testosterone on human behavior.

To put an emphasis on societal and environmental factors on sexuality and sex differences is a disservice to people like homosexuals. They are biologically wired differently, just as women and men happen to be.

Of course there are and will forever be exceptions to the *general* rules.

Regardless, please, I implore you, do your research.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, think big, or bigger at least.

Think of males and females in the *entire* animal kingdom.

Then think smaller, think of animals in the mammalian sense, sans hyenas, you will definitely recognize behavioral tendencies of males and females that transcend the species level.

For all intents and purposes and to be concise,

Femininity ~ Estrogen-induced behaviors/characteristics

Masculinity ~ Testosterone-induced behaviors/characteristics

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey! I totally opened up in this thread! See my steamy, detailed, sexy post a couple pages back.

+1

It's a pet peeve of mine to read or hear someone make broad generalizations about how "all men act" or how "all women behave." It's like, are you kidding?

I don't mind when people make generalizations about men and women in jest or mockery, but when they are completely serious about dividing the human experience into what males experience and what females experience, I just don't understand the logic. If you want to talk about how men and women differ physiologically or societally, and how THAT might have an impact on their behavior, go ahead, but don't try to take universal human emotions and experiences and assign them exclusively and totally to one sex or the other, rather than to the realm of all humans. :coffee: There may indeed be experiences that apply exclusively to one sex or the other, but it's important to try discern the difference between (1) societal conditioning and/or physiological-based differences and (2) what are most likely universal human experiences, and it's important to try not to blur those lines too much or with reckless abandon. I guess the thing I hate most about these generalizations is that they're not carefully or well thought-out.

WOAH. Mempy just got serious on your asses. ;)

Edited to add:

I also agree with Magic that the differences between men and women are just vastly exaggerated.

We seem to identify with each other on a lot, Mempy. Why does it always seem like you are in the shadows?

Pssht.

Go do some research on the physiological effects of estrogen and testosterone on human behavior.

To put an emphasis on societal and environmental factors on sexuality and sex differences is a disservice to people like homosexuals. They are biologically wired differently, just as women and men happen to be.

I've studied evolutionary psychology, honey-buns. I'm aware of the effects of hormones. I'm also aware of certain neurological differences but the vast majority of conclusions about men and women open up useless chicken and egg questions. Also, there are an enormous number of studies that are total crap...

I recall the thing that was posted here before about men mentally linking sex and money. The interpretation of their results were so poor... :dont:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Then think smaller, think animals in the mammalian sense, sans hyenas, you will definitely recognize behavioral tendencies of males and females that transcend the species level.

For all intents and purposes and to be concise,

Femininity ~ Estrogen-induced behaviors/characteristics

Masculinity ~ Testosterone-induced behaviors/characteristics

^^ Definitely not this kinda talk ^^

Things that I knew would turn me on: boobs, legs, pretty eyes or face, humor, wit, intellect, reading comprehension, debate skills, logical reasoning

Things I was surprised to find turned me on: :censored: and :censored:, and definitely :censored:.

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Then think smaller, think of animals in the mammalian sense, sans hyenas, you will definitely recognize behavioral tendencies of males and females that transcend the species level.

Or I could pick gibbons, where the two are about the same. :D
I hate the animal kingdom examples... Too much cherry picking. And it's also something of a non-sequitur once we identify how different each species is. We are our own species, so I don't know how much we can conclude about ourselves by looking at one of them. It was like when Kiddo was trying to claim that we should naturally be like bonobos, because they were our closest relatives. I was trying to explain to him how little sense that made.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Pssht.

Well, maybe the effect that testosterone and estrogen have on experiences is more pronounced than I first thought, and maybe I will do some research on it, but I'm still very wary of seeing the differences as vast, and also wary of trying to take experiences that seem supiciously universal and say that they are only the domain of either the male or female half of the universe. I'm not saying there aren't physiological differences that affect the experiences of males and females, just that I'd be careful of ascribing too much to them. On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm ascribing too little, but I'd much rather go that route. :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Or I could pick gibbons, where the two are about the same. :D
I hate the animal kingdom examples... Too much cherry picking. And it's also something of a non-sequitur once we identify how different each species is. We are our own species, so I don't know how much we can conclude about ourselves by looking at one of them. It was like when Kiddo was trying to claim that we should naturally be like bonobos, because they were our closest relatives. I was trying to explain to him how little sense that made.
:shocking:

Um, do you um,, like not believe in um, evolution?

Regardless, obviously you are not much of a biologist, to each his own I guess.

:coffee:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shocking:

Um, do you um,, like not believe in um, evolution?

Regardless, obviously you are not much of a biologist, to each his own I guess.

:coffee:

I believe in evolution... That comment seemed almost deliberate in how much it missed the point.

Bonobos, gorillas gibbons, and orangutans all have very, very different mating styles. It's an example of how a cluster of closely related species could have significant divergence in their habits. It also implies that we won't have a lot of success trying to determine our own habits based on one of theirs.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm ascribing too little, but I'd much rather go that route. :)
And on philosophical grounds, I really have to agree with her about this. If we are going to make a mistake(and we probably are) I'd much rather under-estimate gender differences than over-estimate them.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, maybe the effect that testosterone and estrogen have on experiences is more pronounced than I first thought, and maybe I will do some research on it, but I'm still very wary of seeing the differences as vast, and also wary of trying to take experiences that seem supiciously universal and say that they are only the domain of either the male or female half of the universe. I'm not saying there aren't physiological differences that affect the experiences of males and females, just that I'd be careful of ascribing too much to them. On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm ascribing too little, but I'd much rather go that route. :)
Fair enough. :)

Why's it retarded? It makes perfect sense.
I sense sarcasm, but then again, one never really knows with you. :huh:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe in evolution... That comment seemed almost deliberate in how much it missed the point.

Bonobos, gorillas gibbons, and orangutans all have very, very different mating styles. It's an example of how a cluster of closely related species could have significant divergence in their habits. It also implies that we won't have a lot of success trying to determine our own habits based on one of theirs.
One concept: Sexual dimorphism.

Sexual dimorphism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sexual dimorphism in non-human primates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia