• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Men, Women, and Monkeys (split)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I was being serious. They both stimulate pleasure. We strive for both resources and sex to promote longevity.

You'd have to see the article to understand why it was stupid. I'm sure you can dig it up. Though I don't remember if it was in this forum or the science forum... But it was probably in this one.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, I was being serious. They both stimulate pleasure. We strive for both resources and sex to promote longevity.
I would need a link to the thread and more specifically to the article before I could make any solid yeas or nays regarding whatever the proposed theory was/is.

Hmm, men sex and money: I think one of the main reasons why men like/seek out money is because it lends them greater access to obtain "greater" sex, in both potential quantity, and quality of mate(s).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm aware of sexual dimorphism. Duh.

So ummm... let's take those little facts about the brains of men and women, and draw the bridge from their, to....

...here:

Lol @ men.

What simple creatures.

God bless 'em

:)

If us gals had the balls, (har-har) to actually explicitly state what turns us on, in detail, y'all would be shocked/bewildered.

This is why men are so easy to get off, and women...not so much.

Explanations?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Men are more easily aroused than women, they *tend* to have a lower threshold for sexual stimulation in order to reach orgasm.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm, men sex and money: I think one of the main reasons why men like/seek out money is because it lends them greater access to obtain "greater" sex, in both potential quantity, and quality of mate(s).

I don't 100% agree. You have to be a guy and think guy-thoughts to know this, tho. When I want money, I am not thinking about girls. I'm thinking a bit about status, but really, I'm thinking about pleasure and shit like that. The access to females...eh. It might be true that THOSE WHO ARE AVARICIOUS get more chicks, and pass on their genes with greater chances of survival, making the genes more numerous. But that's not the same as saying what you said, imo. It also points out a weakness in evolutionary psych in that anyone can connect behaviors to access to survival and you'd have a hard time falsifying the claim.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Magic said:
We seem to identify with each other on a lot, Mempy. Why does it always seem like you are in the shadows?

What does that mean? Like, waiting to pop out of the darkness on you like some ninja, or just watching you from afar and observing things? Well, I tend toward both habits, especially the second. That would be my reclusive, reserved and anxious side.

In the thread this subject was split from, I really let loose and described some of my biggest turn-ons. I enjoy the release from my anxiety and seriousness that sexuality provides. But that may be the same old, same old for most serious, anxious, independent recluses. :coffee:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Edahnis:

Dude, I feel you, for example, I want to obtain money simply as a means to gain personal freedom to do what I please, when I please, and I believe many men would agree with this sentiment.

But, yeah, you're right many men do want themselves some money, power, and status, for um....yeah, for multiple "noble" reasons. ;)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Men are more easily aroused than women, they *tend* to have a lower threshold for sexual stimulation in order to reach orgasm.

Is that so? Okay... But what about this?

If us gals had the balls, (har-har) to actually explicitly state what turns us on, in detail, y'all would be shocked/bewildered.

This is why men are so easy to get off, and women...not so much.

You've actually sort of already given another cause here. So explain why the first statement is true.

What does that mean? Like, waiting to pop out of the darkness on you like some ninja, or just watching you from afar and observing things? Well, I tend toward both habits, especially the second. That would be my reclusive, reserved and anxious side.

In the thread this subject was split from, I really let loose and described some of my biggest turn-ons. I enjoy the release from my anxiety and seriousness that sexuality provides. But that may be the same old, same old for most serious, anxious, independent recluses. :coffee:

I mainly meant... Where are you, and why don't I see you around more often?
Is it simply because of being reclusive, reserved, and anxious?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And all of the questions I'm asking so far side-step the part about you calling men simple creatures. Which is something of an insult to me, and I imagine you would have an especially hard time validating that with evolutionary psychology.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting comments.

I sort of agree with most of them, yet none of them.

The truth seems to be that there are differences (triggered mostly by hormonal influences, and the differentiation of particular biological gender structures), yet there's a ton of overlap (as a minor point, each man or woman has varying degrees of hormones in their bodies, there's no "blanket" hormonal profile, just general typical ranges) and society definitely has taken minor or nuanced differences and created social artifices on top of them.

As a side note, though, testosterone's definitely the "sex me up" drug.

Running on testosterone: "Mentally somewhere else; sees a hot girl walks by; gaaa, let's do her, even if I'm not interested and I have a 500lb migraine."

Running on estrogen: "TV show I like. Ice cream. Nice bath. Sex. Yeah, any of those, why not? Actually, the ice cream might be less messy."

That's why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of testosterone, to bump up their drive a little, when they have trouble being interested but have an interested partner.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If I can be completely honest, I haven't seen much difference.

Part of the reason why men and women seem so different might be... you know, the whole 'opposites attract' thing. Ignoring the traits that you're not attracted to/mystified by and playing up the traits that do, therefore making the two seem much more 'different' than they really are.

Then again, what I could see happening is there being a rather wide difference between men and women, but it's not even close to the differences that everyone 'know'.

It's more a matter of, if you're looking at the big picture, there's no difference at all, but if you get closer, you see differences, but if you get close enough to see many significant differences, there's too much variance between individuals that these supposed differences could just be considered differences between individuals. It's like, we'd have "A through X" types of behaviors women, but if 5/6ths of the types of behaviors are analogous with types of behaviors with men, and most people only show up to have 3/4ths of the traits... well, that's pretty useless, isn't it?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
And all of the questions I'm asking so far side-step the part about you calling men simple creatures. Which is something of an insult to me, and I imagine you would have an especially hard time validating that with evolutionary psychology.

I think maybe you took her too seriously-- it looked to me like she was "kidding on the square." Basically kidding but with a grain of seriousness behind it. And she's right, in one sense. Male sexuality is a lot simpler than female sexuality, which makes total sense evolutionarily-speaking because the one biological imperative is that the man must ejaculate to keep the species going.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I think maybe you took her too seriously-- it looked to me like she was "kidding on the square." Basically kidding but with a grain of seriousness behind it. And she's right, in one sense. Male sexuality is a lot simpler than female sexuality, which makes total sense evolutionarily-speaking because the one biological imperative is that the man must ejaculate to keep the species going.

I agree.

The prerogative to continue the ultimate success of our species must be suitably less dynamic in complexity as to disabuse the male from the sophistication of evolutionary biology.

As females do not possess such a mandate (in the strictest sense), they can afford to restrict their reproductive budget around a position of psychological intimacy; that is to say, the female is able to suspend her desires towards a personalized behavioral construct - like blue eyes; broad shoulders; robust finances - etc.

The comment wasn't - as I read it - meant as an obvious slap. Men are fundamentally simpler in design.

Women love. Men love...to fuck.

This is a good thing.

Thanks Jennifer!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
BTW, I have to say it: "Honeybuns" = :steam:

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
I honestly don't know what to believe when I hear about gender differences. I do think that some of them exist, but not enough to make very extreme generalizations.

One thing I've noticed in daily life is that men, on a general level, are more likely to better drivers than women. That doesn't mean that women can't be good drivers, or that a woman can't be a batter driver than a man.

In MBTI itself we see that women are more likely to be Feelers than men.

As for sexuality... I guess that since men have the sperm, they're more likely to be promiscuous while women are more picky about choosing a mate for that egg. That doesn't mean society should encourage men to 'sow their oats' and socialize women into believing that they ought to seek monogamy because they're women.

Oh, and I'd rather not think of men as simple creatures. Some men are simple creatures. But some women are simple creatures too. Not all.