• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Men, Women, and Monkeys (split)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
True, but that's due more to other people's (mis)use of the concept of PMS than to the condition itself. Some radical feminists would deny that any such physiological condition exists at all.

The only women who think PMS doesn't exist don't ever get it. They do exist. And I despise them.

The problem is not any inherent differences themselves but rather the way the public will shape apparent 'differences' into these easily misused concepts. Though there are differences, they would probably be better off strictly acknowledged biologically and sociologically rather than explicitly socially -- as in, if science finds these new trends, it might be better if the people do not know, if all they're going to do is misuse anything found.

Not like that's ever going to happen... but eh.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
As a means to what end?

To get people to treat men and women as equals? To take women seriously when they're pissed instead of assuming it's PMS? It's just so absurd an assertion that I'm trying hard to see where it's coming from. (The principle is if you over-reach you'll end up closer than if you reach for the actual impossibly distant target.)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The only women who think PMS doesn't exist don't ever get it. They do exist. And I despise them.

The problem is not any inherent differences themselves but rather the way the public will shape apparent 'differences' into these easily misused concepts. Though there are differences, they would probably be better off strictly acknowledged biologically and sociologically rather than explicitly socially -- as in, if science finds these new trends, it might be better if the people do not know, if all they're going to do is misuse anything found.

Not like that's ever going to happen... but eh.

I agree. PMS does exist, but only a portion (I don't know the exact statistic) of the female population experiences its symptoms at all, and among the ones who do, only a small portion experience it to a debilitating degree. Yet people will continue to use it (as it is used in popular parlance) as though it were universally applicable to each and every single woman to an equal degree. Ah well, it can't be avoided.

Edit: phoenix13, I see what you mean now. Perhaps that is their strategy, I don't know. All I do know is that I don't much respect a movement that uses blatant falsehoods as a means of gaining rhetorical clout.

heart

heart on fire
Premenstrual Syndrome

How common is PMS?

Estimates of the percentage of women affected by PMS vary widely. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, at least 85 percent of menstruating women have at least one PMS symptom as part of their monthly cycle. Most of these women have symptoms that are fairly mild and do not need treatment. Some women (about three to eight percent of menstruating women) have a more severe form of PMS, called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). See the question, "What is Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)?" below for more information.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
pms_copy.jpg

heart

heart on fire
All it ever does to me is make me feel more fatigued and slowed down in all ways. I am not at all likely to be extra bitchy, just less EVERYthing. Like the winter of the month.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everybody has ups and downs, good moods and bad moods. It's part of being human!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a little tipsy right now but I just want to say to the women that you shoudl not feel bad about having emotional highs and lows. YOu shoul love yoruselves and men love you too. You are beautiful women. Cereal.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here's what gets me about the PMS thing. It's just as anti-feminist to deny women's experiences as imaginary as it is to dismiss their ideas as being PMS-influenced.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's what gets me about the PMS thing. It's just as anti-feminist to deny women's experiences as imaginary as it is to dismiss their ideas as being PMS-influenced.

tha'ts deal Ivy. I ddidnt understand it but it's deep anyway. What is your type?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know but I love cereal!

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
There are physiological differences between the genders, and clearly there are, in general, also psychological differences. The fact that most men are T types and most women are F types means that it would be impossible for everyone to pair up with someone of his or her own type in a relationship, but those of us who are aware of this fact have the advantage in finding type compatibility if rejecting diversity in our relationships in order to increase the probability of harmonious interaction is our goal.

I do feel that type has more to do with human difference than biology, and whether or not there is a correlation between the two is irrelevant because any broad generalization is unfair to the individuals who must live their lives as the exceptions, victims to the false expectations of others. An individual ESTP woman may be more likely to be promiscuous than an individual INFP male, regardless of gender stereotypes or cultural expectations that might lead one to suspect any random male of being less sexually picky than any random female. I also know that my ESTJ grandmother fits into the masculine stereotype more easily than my ISFP friend, who is a male.

Hormones and brain development may influence type to some extent, but whether or not this is found to be the case, it is the individual will that determines sexual choices within that contextual framework. If we wish to characterize inward moving vs. outward moving qualities, it may be healthier to view them as "yin and yang" instead of "feminine and masculine," as this seems to be more accurate and inclusive. As this applies to typology ESTJ would be at the ultimate yang end of the spectrum while INFP would be at the ultimate yin end, with individual variation depending on the intensity of a specific preference and how the will may shift along that spectrum in a situationally dependent manner.

As for the comment about women seeking dominant males, I disagree that this is always the case. The dynamics of the sexual relationship need not bleed over into other, non-sexual, areas of the relationship. I like soft-spoken, gentle poetic types who would be willing to give their own lives before being so harsh as to even squish a bug. In the bedroom, my preference is for someone who has emotional power over me, and who is capable of making me feel an intense attraction for him at will. In order for me to be comfortable enough to feel this way, I must trust my partner to be completely harmless. He must also see the body as a mere tool of expression that is used to communicate his desire for my spiritual qualities rather than as a decorative object. Passionate expression may appear, outwardly, to resemble dominance, but the psychological aspects are entirely different.