• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What kinds of things offend you?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
People who never question the causes they fight for. Also, like [MENTION=15318]Nights and Days[/MENTION], people who take offense more often than they understand.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unwarranted (negative) opinions about me or my work from strangers or acquaintances. Like "you have gotten fat", "your work sucks", "you pronounced that word incorrectly" in a somewhat random conversation. Where I'm now (Germany) these remarks seem to be fairly "normal" and needless to say, they piss me off. Sure if I ask my personal trainer he can definitely tell me I have gotten fat, or my boss can tell me that I've made a mistake or a teacher can tell me that I've said something incorrectly. But random people? Hell no, get away from me.
Likely cultural, in Italy these type of remarks may quickly lead to a fight (unless you have really gotten very fat, your work really sucks, or your pronunciation was completely horrible).

"Your work sucks" is vague and unhelpful. "You have gotten fat," also unhelpful. Maybe, people with low Ni or Ne functions genuinely had a hard time squeezing these thoughts, searching their mind for the generalization of how to characterize your work product. They figure if it was so hard for to figure out, no way some incompetent fatso could figure it out on their own. They had to tell you. Otherwise, you wouldn't know. Or maybe, they're just bastards. But it doesn't make sense to tell someone they've gotten fat. It's not funny or helpful, and you'd know as soon as you zipped up your pants.

G

garbage

I don't get offended by words... more of what they might represent of a person's overall character.
Yeah, that. Their character helps place the remarks into context.

What's their intent? Is it to be a total prick (or insert your own word there), or is it to be constructive? It's easy to brush off the former and take in the latter.

It's even easier if they've established a pattern of one or another. I love when people do so--they've done the legwork for me. And then I can kick back and relax.

The one thing that genuinely offends me is when someone UNFAIRLY attacks someone I care about, particularly if the person isn't great at defending themselves.
This, too. 'Offense' being levied at me is one thing; being levied at another person is quite.. well, another.

I am offended by people who get offended by things I say when I'm not even trying to be offensive at all!
See, that's part of what drives my take on the matter. Lots of people don't try to be offensive, so why let 'em be? If a statement's subject to interpretation, why would one pick the interpretation that pisses them off?

Of course things irritate me.
Same. I get irritated (and impatient) much more than I get offended.

MBTI Type
ENFP
Racist assholes, "I love black people, doesn't mean I'll date one" Fat shamers, "Ewww, why would I ever date a fat girl, how can you do that to yourself? that's just unhealthy" *works out at least three times a week, eats healthy, and has been fat my whole life* People who shit on any form of activism during a conversation, "what are you an philosopher?" "No, I just don't think self harm/racist jokes are funny" "ohhh you tumblr girl" "No, it's just common sense". And yeah people who get offended over petty issues, and just want to argue. I mean very petty issues. For example: my friend gets harassed by this one girl for being white and having dreads, saying she doesn't understand "African american culture" People who assume all gay guys are flamboyant and feminine, people who assume all lesbians are biker chicks and masculine. Stereotypes towards race, and feeling obliged to make fun of yourself to fit in. Girls who say the need a gay BFF, yet "omg she's a lesbian...hope she doesn't hit on me" When guys ask lesbians how girl sex works? Something is wrong if you don't know how girl sex works. if you think you just simply penetrating her will make her have a orgasm, maybe you should realize you're not having actual sex. When people get mad at me for listening to "illiterate music" Stop. I read poetry because I like words, I listen to music So I can feel a beat and listen to their words. It's not all about lyrics.

millions of other things

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Deliberate rudeness. Unabashed manipulation of others. Lack of remorse or desire to fix what's broken, even when confronted. Lack of thoughtfulness when thoughtfulness is called for. Hypocrisy.

Also, "Things Being Done WRONG", generally speaking. :biggrin:

Edit: A guaranteed way to get me to snap at you, is to keep doing something even when I ask you to stop. But that falls into the "inconsiderate" and "deliberate rudeness" categories. And regarding cultural things, I subscribe to the "benign violation" theory of humor -- so if I find a joke to be threatening, or if it hits too close to home, I won't think it's funny.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Racist assholes, "I love black people, doesn't mean I'll date one" Fat shamers, "Ewww, why would I ever date a fat girl, how can you do that to yourself? that's just unhealthy" *works out at least three times a week, eats healthy, and has been fat my whole life* People who shit on any form of activism during a conversation, "what are you an philosopher?" "No, I just don't think self harm/racist jokes are funny" "ohhh you tumblr girl" "No, it's just common sense". And yeah people who get offended over petty issues, and just want to argue. I mean very petty issues. For example: my friend gets harassed by this one girl for being white and having dreads, saying she doesn't understand "African american culture" People who assume all gay guys are flamboyant and feminine, people who assume all lesbians are biker chicks and masculine. Stereotypes towards race, and feeling obliged to make fun of yourself to fit in. Girls who say the need a gay BFF, yet "omg she's a lesbian...hope she doesn't hit on me" When guys ask lesbians how girl sex works? Something is wrong if you don't know how girl sex works. if you think you just simply penetrating her will make her have a orgasm, maybe you should realize you're not having actual sex. When people get mad at me for listening to "illiterate music" Stop. I read poetry because I like words, I listen to music So I can feel a beat and listen to their words. It's not all about lyrics.

millions of other things

also alla that.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- When people act like they deserve a humanitarian award for normal human decency.
- When people think their way of life is superior to everyone else's and that they're doing you a favor by trying to make you more like them.
- When people act with no regard for others' well-being.

How I handle being offended: I don't say anything and then emphatically complain about whatever offended me to someone else. Which is a pretty offensive and annoying habit.

PancakeMix

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I get offended when I'm joking around about something dumb, and people take it seriously and get mad at me for it. I guess it's my fault because it could be the way I say things, but it does make me feel misunderstood. I usually try to make it obvious when I joke around because I make my voice higher, and talk faster. But then it also offends me when I'm trying to be serious and nobody takes me seriously.

xisnotx

Permabanned
People who are mean are offensive to me.

So much so that if I perceive someone slighting me...I can be pretty cutting with my words.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's really hard for me to get offended.

Don't talk shit about my dad, don't talk shit about my car, don't talk shit about my dog.

Also, I get upset when I'm left out of things.

I always make sure I don't leave people out. And I expect the same.

But, I don't mind offensive humor, and I don't let assholes that don't know me affect me. I don't let other people have that kind of control over me.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Having my intelligence or competency unfairly insulted.

People who don't treat others fairly or with respect.

People who overgeneralize or blatantly discriminate against certain groups of people-- e.g. racists, sexists, homophobes, etc.

Alea_iacta_est

People who draw up negative things from my past.

Antisemitism.

People who treat me as though I am socially inept or physically inept.

That's about it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If I don't know you and am trapped in an enclosed space I'll be offended by your existence. If I don't have to be around you constantly and don't know you I couldn't care less. If I know and like you, we can hang out and do stuff

Mindsabre

Dishonesty. How do I deal with that? I ignore it or if I can -- fight it.

rav3n

Not so much offend but find it distasteful, considering how I'm Asian and the poster is white.

rav3n

And the rudeness continues and will continue because you don't have the balls to admit to your crassness, instead, hiding behind childish gifs and memes. Whatever. I have better ways to use my time, rather than wasting it on you.

Permabanned
And the rudeness continues and will continue because you don't have the balls to admit to your crassness, instead, hiding behind childish gifs and memes. Whatever. I have better ways to use my time, rather than wasting it on you.