• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BS study saying how selfies lead to mental illness

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How is me loving something depressing? Do you have issues with food?
Not at all, it just that 99% of all people who spread their love for food online lead depressingly boring lives. It's something people with fun lives just don't do.

Only because you can't pick up weight. Stop projecting. Foodies FTW!
Nope. See above ^^^^ Foodies lead depressingly boring lives.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all, it just that 99% of all people who spread their love for food online lead depressingly boring lives. It's something people with fun lives just don't do.

Nope. See above ^^^^ Foodies lead depressingly boring lives.

I don't even post pictures of my food, but I enjoy looking at other people's food pictures if it looks good. What would you prefer looking at photos of? People skydiving? Do people have to document interesting times in their life for them to count?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like looking at food pics and I'd post more but I forget I meant to take a picture until after it's half eaten then it's like I don't want to go get my phone at this point and it's only food I've made from scratch and am proud of

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION] why are you so down on people who like food? Are you t jealous?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The correlation/causation error should not have got past the editor. This article is a clerical mistake.

How is [someone] loving something depressing?
Just making this question more immortal because I want to ask it so often.

Tangent that isn't about anyone's posts:

Every new generation is painted in one exaggeratedly unflattering light or another by its predecessors, certainly including in the media (the article, for example, spins the facts to capitalize on this narrative). What's really wrong with the "selfie generation" isn't the photo quality - I think it's that we internalized the aforementioned negative image and became self-loathing. Instead of "hey, we'll show you something" it's "you're right, we're brats". Walking among our annoying, teeming peers, certain that they are going to be the end of this world. Bet they'll photograph the explosion with their iPhones...

No one has lower expectations for millennials than the millennials themselves...and that's boring. Fatalism is what I find boring. It's so common and getting real old. The radicalness is gone, it's just new platitudes replacing the old, repeated on cues to reinforce beliefs that are solid enough already. Not asking for rose-colored glasses, which clearly got old even earlier. No, something new. Don't take dichotomous thinking to heart.

yeghor

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/status-update-im-so-glamorous/

After measuring each subject using the Narcissism Personality Inventory and Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, Meh*dizadeh, who graduated from York this past spring, discovered narcissists and people with lower self-esteem were more likely to spend more than an hour a day on Facebook and were more prone to post self-promotional photos (striking a pose or using Photoshop, for example). Narcissists were also more likely to showcase themselves through status updates (using phrases like “I’m so glamorous I bleed glitter”) and wall activity (posting self-serving links like “My Celebrity Look-alikes”).

Self-esteem and narcissism are often interrelated but don’t always go hand in hand. Some psychologists believe that narcissists—those who have a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, a need for admiration, as well as a lack of empathy—unconsciously inflate their sense of self-importance as a defense against feeling inadequate. Not enough empirical research has been produced to confirm that link, although Mehdizadeh’s study seems to support it. Because narcissists have less capacity to sustain intimate or long-term relationships, Mehdizadeh thinks that they would be more drawn to the online world of virtual friends and emotionally detached communication.

Selfie's may be a symptom of obsession with self-image (which probable stems from an insecurity) and publishing them may be due to an excessive need of admiration and external feedback to feel good about one's self...

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION] why are you so down on people who like food? Are you t jealous?

I like food, I love feeding people and I'm pretty good at cooking, but seeing people post pictures of their food annoys me like hell. To me it's more like they're trying to show off how boring they are, that they don't have anything in their lives even remotely interesting and they're simply just sitting around waiting to die if they're not eating. Not to mention these exact foodies are the ones stressing over diets and losing weight all the time when I meet them irl. I think I view this pretty much the same way as how most people would view kids who brag about their drinking and partying on social media. Almost everyone enjoys drinking and partying once in a while, but when someone posts about it in a 'OMG LOOK AT ME DRINKING AND PARTYING LOL I'M SO COOL YOLO' kind of way, it just leaves an impression of a very empty life and a sentiment of disrespect and concern. So whenever I prepare something delicious or when I'm eating something delicious, you won't see me post pictures of it on social media, just like how I wouldn't post my drunk ass face up there with the caption 'OMG 2 BOTTLES OF VODKA + TEN PINTS OF BEER = MAKING OUT WITH A STRANGER #goodassnight #yolo'. I also don't let guests take pictures of meals I prepared for them (I put up a sign in my house that states they will face eternal torture in the afterlife if they do) and I won't let anyone tag me in food related posts. I don't want to be one of that kind of people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like food, I love feeding people and I'm pretty good at cooking, but seeing people post pictures of their food annoys me like hell. To me it's more like they're trying to show off how boring they are, that they don't have anything in their lives even remotely interesting and they're simply just sitting around waiting to die if they're not eating. Not to mention these exact foodies are the ones stressing over diets and losing weight all the time when I meet them irl. I think I view this pretty much the same way as how most people would view kids who brag about their drinking and partying on social media. Almost everyone enjoys drinking and partying once in a while, but when someone posts about it in a 'OMG LOOK AT ME DRINKING AND PARTYING LOL I'M SO COOL YOLO' kind of way, it just leaves an impression of a very empty life and a sentiment of disrespect and concern. So whenever I prepare something delicious or when I'm eating something delicious, you won't see me post pictures of it on social media, just like how I wouldn't post my drunk ass face up there with the caption 'OMG 2 BOTTLES OF VODKA + TEN PINTS OF BEER = MAKING OUT WITH A STRANGER #goodassnight #yolo'. I also don't let guests take pictures of meals I prepared for them (I put up a sign in my house that states they will face eternal torture in the afterlife if they do) and I won't let anyone tag me in food related posts. I don't want to be one of that kind of people.

I don't get why you have to be so mean to others about it. What they do in this scenario doesn't effect you. Now like I said I rarely post pics of my self or take selfies. Sorry in the big scheme this is actually irrelevant. But you are making assumptions about other people's lives which you have no right to do in this situation

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get why you have to be so mean to others about it. What they do in this scenario doesn't effect you. Now like I said I rarely post pics of my self or take selfies. Sorry in the big scheme this is actually irrelevant. But you are making assumptions about other people's lives which you have no right to do in this situation

I know them. I know their lives. I see correlations between the amount of food posted online by people I know and how exciting I know their lives are. And as for selfies; those things are versatile, can't say shit about those.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know them. I know their lives. I see correlations between the amount of food posted online by people I know and how exciting I know their lives are. And as for selfies; those things are versatile, can't say shit about those.

No you don't

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's so ratchet!

I'll see myself out....

EDIT: [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] ACK! I was too late!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't get what you're getting at.

Watch the video again. I was referencing the word ratchet and called selfies and that video ratchet. :)

The word ratchet has been going around the internet for a few months now.... and then I heard that song today.

And I was like..... UGHHHHHHH! So ratchet. Like OMG! Of all the songs on the radio!

And I'm like, GOD! I need to take that song out of my mouth before I start talking like a valley girl.