• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BS study saying how selfies lead to mental illness

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of this. I'm pretty sure it's always been common practice to call someone's sense of self-confidence vanity and narcissism. By petty people that can't stand to see others happy with themselves, they have to drag them down. :dry:

tumblr_inline_n2l3kbbzYM1ryz8rp.gif

G

Ginkgo

:rolleyes:

I don't think it does

http://www.realnews24.com/scientists-link-selfies-to-narcissism-addiction-mental-illness/

probably had something else going on and the selfie was just a variable. I mean you can become this obsessed with anything. and the fact that society puts so much emphasize on the selfie. Like I feel like we put as much emphasize on the selfie as we do on women and make up

you could take anything and find a case in society of someone becoming that obsessed. I think he already had something going on and the selfie thing just made it worse.

I wonder how this would have unfolded in a different era. It sounds like a modern iteration of body image issues.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wonder how this would have unfolded in a different era. It sounds like a modern iteration of body image issues.

You should find out and report back I'll give you costume it will be a buck Rogers one and you can be an official time traveler

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
To my memory, in the 70's, 80's and 90's, taking pictures of yourself was a pretty rare thing. No one I knew did that. No one seemed to even consider doing that. Partly because the cameras didn't lend themselves easily to it, but also I can recall feeling that it was breaking some sort of taboo. I still feel very weird taking a pic of myself. Like it's self-aggrandizement or ultimate narcissism or you weren't interesting enough for someone else to want to take your pic or something (although that's not my opinion, just sharing the kind of baggage that I carry on the topic). Amazing that attitudes toward "selfies" has changed so much in so short a time. I was just talking to my husband about this topic yesterday, so what a neat coincidence to see the discussion here.

wolfy

awsm
I enjoy selfies, it is a bit of fun. And I love myself... and of course, want to share that love.

Mole

Permabanned
Selfies are also existential - they are proof we exist.

And selfies are proof we exist in a special medium: the electronic medium.

For instance, no one felt the need to take selfies when we were reading books, but the moment the electronic media became available, we need to document our existence. And just think, five hundred years from now, they will be able to see we how we existed.

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think selfies are dangerous to kids in between the ages of 13-16 I grew up with the selfie generation, and trust me I have seen some people pretty fucking upset about selfies to the point where it could be classified as a mental illness. When you're already dealing with awkward gawky stages of becoming *cough, cough* an adult, and already comparing your physical aesthetics to your peers. Add in social media and people competing to get more "likes" on a selfie for social acceptation, you develop a cold desensitized edge. I take selfies, and I get pretty upset when not a lot of people like them, I actually feel ugly...and I end up deleting it. And i'm not alone, it's actually pretty normal. I've been doing this since I've been 12. I do not like it one bit, I feel pretty vain and stupid, but I also want to feel good about myself as well. And I know the satisfaction of others will never get me there, trust me I know. and I have to see the beauty in me, yada yada yada. It's just so normalized, and I've been doing it with my peers for so long. What i'm trying to say is, I think it is a problem...I think it's a HUGE problem. But I end up sounding like a 50 year old conservative christian man when ever I try to argue about this to others, which is NOT like me at all. idk i take a lot of dramatic selfies, and I feel like a idiot

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To my memory, in the 70's, 80's and 90's, taking pictures of yourself was a pretty rare thing. No one I knew did that. No one seemed to even consider doing that. Partly because the cameras didn't lend themselves easily to it, but also I can recall feeling that it was breaking some sort of taboo. I still feel very weird taking a pic of myself. Like it's self-aggrandizement or ultimate narcissism or you weren't interesting enough for someone else to want to take your pic or something (although that's not my opinion, just sharing the kind of baggage that I carry on the topic). Amazing that attitudes toward "selfies" has changed so much in so short a time. I was just talking to my husband about this topic yesterday, so what a neat coincidence to see the discussion here.

What is your opinion on selfies, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Also I feel like this video is relevant to the topic:

G

garbage

There doesn't appear to be a study here; just some statements by those in the psych field.

But on the topic of selfies.. do other people tend to give a damn about others' selfies? I'm curious; I actually don't know the answer to that one.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
There doesn't appear to be a study here; just some statements by those in the psych field.

But on the topic of selfies.. do other people tend to give a damn about others' selfies? I'm curious; I actually don't know the answer to that one.

I think basic bitches do inorder to make fun of the person

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
It's like saying Marilyn Manson caused Columbine because the kid who murdered a bunch of people happened to like Marilyn Manson.

A psychotic, obsessed, anorexic or depressed person can find anything to obsess over, to fuel the problem.

That being said, the list of selfies on the bottom of that article made me laugh. The selfie culture is a bit overboard and sometimes hilarious. I'm not above the occasional selfie, but those duck-face things and half-naked selfies are just hilarious. Makes me wonder what kind of pictures I might have taken if we had cell phones when I was 16.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's like saying Marilyn Manson caused Columbine because the kid who murdered a bunch of people happened to like Marilyn Manson.

A psychotic, obsessed, anorexic or depressed person can find anything to obsess over, to fuel the problem.

That being said, the list of selfies on the bottom of that article made me laugh. The selfie culture is a bit overboard and sometimes hilarious. I'm not above the occasional selfie, but those duck-face things and half-naked selfies are just hilarious. Makes me wonder what kind of pictures I might have taken if we had cell phones when I was 16.

I take selfies to show off a new outfit I like (which is rare) I don't look good in pictures, I don't even like having my picture taken by other people

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I take selfies to show off a new outfit I like (which is rare) I don't look good in pictures, I don't even like having my picture taken by other people

I am a photographer and have done lots of self-portrait work, even portraits of myself twice, dressed as two alter-egos in the same photo. I love taking pictures of other people too. The selfie thing.. doesn't cut it for me artistically, but it has its place in the sense of 'immediacy' that it offers. I signed up for instagram very recently and I am enjoying posting pictures of the outdoors with borders around them. It's not the same as taking photos with a good camera and developing them in a darkroom or .. a great digital camera and photoshop. But it's a snapshot to show your friends something beautiful you are experiencing. Or like you said - a new outfit, an expression on your face, whatever.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am a photographer and have done lots of self-portrait work, even portraits of myself twice, dressed as two alter-egos in the same photo. I love taking pictures of other people too. The selfie thing.. doesn't cut it for me artistically, but it has its place in the sense of 'immediacy' that it offers. I signed up for instagram very recently and I am enjoying posting pictures of the outdoors with borders around them. It's not the same as taking photos with a good camera and developing them in a darkroom or .. a great digital camera and photoshop. But it's a snapshot to show your friends something beautiful you are experiencing. Or like you said - a new outfit, an expression on your face, whatever.
small dark places terrify me and I feel like I'm going to die and be trapped for ever.