• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Parenting Style Were You Raised With?

How Were You Raised

• Total voters

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
www.cracked.com/blog/5-problems-you-cant-blame-how-you-were-raised/

"Today there are a variety of parenting styles. There are Tiger Moms, who are strict. There are Helicopter Parents, who hover over their kids' activities. At the opposite end of the spectrum there are the Free-Range Parents, who raise their children to become chickens."

Was your mom a Tiger Mom, A Helicopter Parent, Or a Free-Range Parent?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am a chicken.

gromit

likes this
Pretty in the middle, leaning slightly towards free-range.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I dunno. I just sorta existed, was supported, got punished, just a normal parent raising on my mom's part

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno. I just sorta existed, was supported, got punished, just a normal parent raising on my mom's part

That's free-range. Duh, look at your name.

L

LadyLazarus

Well more like tiger dad(ESFJ), but close enough. My mom(ISFP) was just like stop whining, sit down and read this magazine, if you need me feel free not to call.:dry: So she was free-range-ish I guess, until I got hurt then she'd turn into helicopter-mom.

Aleria

ISFJ mother was like an helicopter parent, ESFP father more like free-range. So it was in between, I guess.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
None of them, really. My parents are a little overprotective but were never helicopters. My mom is e2 and can get a little pushy/protective and my dad is e5 and has always been pretty hands-off, but both of them have always been actively concerned with me and my brother and both encouraged us to be competent, ethical, and analytical thinkers.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If an activity kept us occupied for more than five minutes, my folks invested large sums of money in making sure that activity (books, LEGOs, Nintendo) was available to occupy our attention spans all day.
history of my life

Mole

Permabanned
Was your mom a Tiger Mom, A Helicopter Parent, Or a Free-Range Parent?

These child rearing styles are simply parochial. To understand how child rearing practices contribute to personality, we need an historical perspective. A place to start is http://www.psychohistory.com/htm/eln08_childrearing.html

So in short we might say there is the sacrificial form of chlld rearing, the abusive form of child rearing, the authoritarian form of child rearing and the helping form of child rearing.

Each form of historical child rearing is an improvement on the past form, and all are dependent on relative prosperity.

I, for instance, had an authoritarian form of child rearing and so I have a controlled and controlling personality, but I have discovered the helping form of child rearing in therapy and so aspire to an empathic and creative personality.

á´…eparted

passages
I was given a lot of freedom growing up. Not too much was restricted, and I was permitted to what I wanted so long as it didn't cause a tangible problem (such as breaking something, or hurting myself). I'm rather greatful for it.

yeghor

Mother = helicopter (overprotective...not trusting me with things)

Father = free range (too little one-on-one interaction besides criticism, guess it was because he was in 40s when I was born and I have 4 siblings)

badger055

Permabanned
Dad was a combination of tiger and helicopter. He was the biggest cunt I have ever seen in my life.
Mom was free range.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was given a lot of freedom growing up. Not too much was restricted, and I was permitted to what I wanted so long as it didn't cause a tangible problem (such as breaking something, or hurting myself). I'm rather gratful for it.

Me too.

But my mom was a bit of a tiger mom...she was really overprotective.

Even so, I always had way more freedom than the other kids I knew. I am very grateful for that.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Helicopter > Tiger > Free-Range

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Free Range with a little Helicopter. Failed attempts at Tiger.

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Tiger-Helicopter combo. It was most unpleasant.