• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Parenting Style Were You Raised With?

How Were You Raised

• Total voters

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Tiger-Helicopter combo.

-Sir, the Tigers gave mastered the power of flight.
-May God have mercy on our souls.

My dad was free range, my mom was in the middle, leaning towards helicopter. Really, I shouldn't say my dad raised me, so much as he was a much older brother who financially supported us. There was really only one parent. Not that I don't appreciate the money, but he wasn't super nice or responsible beyond that.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Where does emotionally abusive and negligent come in?

I SEE NO BOX DAMMIT.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Completely free range. They never tried to instill any values or rules of conduct in me. They told me if I did something wrong, which could probably be seen as instilling some kinda values, but I can't remember that they ever taught me a "correct" way to be and act. I was just running free most of the time, but I was also very respectful towards others and had a good sense of right and wrong. This parenting style combined with the knowledge that they were always gonna support me whatever I did made for a pretty great childhood.

Although... If my little brother and I had let her, our mother definitely have been a helicopter parent, but we both have a strong will for independence and always refused her help.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
My mom was a combination of the "tiger mom" stereotype and "free range". My childhood was inconsistent. Neither party really had the heart to win the war; we cut our losses and agreed to disagree.

I SEE NO BOX DAMMIT.

Tell me about it. (if you want)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I SEE NO BOX DAMMIT.

Emotionally abusive sounds like Tiger, negligent sounds like Free-Range.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I SEE NO BOX DAMMIT.

Yeah, I was hoping for a "Joan Crawford" box. That'd sum it up for me.

(most people laugh at this performance.. [it is actually an exaggeration of the book's telling] but trust me.. some people like that actually exist. Some of them are mothers.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it wasn't free range. I dunno what it was none of those really fit for my childhood

Going with whichever parent was most influential on you, were you dominated or guided? Or neither?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Free range with helicopter tendencies. They never managed to become full grown helicopter parents, because I've always been secretive.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was all I could do just to get some helicopter parenting. I was very independent as a child but at times I would have appreciated some homework help. How well I remember it.

"Mom, come help me with my homework."
"No."
"Please, I'm stuck on this one problem."
"No."

Continuing to nag mom...

She finally comes out of the kitchen just to shut me up.

But as soon as she came and stood by me, I got the answer on my own! And this happened too many times to be a coincidence.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Going with whichever parent was most influential on you, were you dominated or guided? Or neither?

Guided mostly but not given free range I was definitely grounded often for grades not doing chores and refusing to do homework. Also got in trouble for sibling rivalries. I was a chill kid over all. But my mom did encourage me and my brother to think critical about situations. And encouraged learning if the toy wasn't educational in some way we couldn't have it. Also only allowed an hour of tv a day unless it was with one of them. And after homework was done, which I would lie about and my brother would manipulate my mom into an extra half hour of tv. My mom started checking my homework then would double check what my assignments were so I was always in trouble for that

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Guided mostly but not given free range I was definitely grounded often for grades not doing chores and refusing to do homework. Also got in trouble for sibling rivalries. I was a chill kid over all. But my mom did encourage me and my brother to think critical about situations. And encouraged learning if the toy wasn't educational in some way we couldn't have it. Also only allowed an hour of tv a day unless it was with one of them. And after homework was done, which I would lie about and my brother would manipulate my mom into an extra half hour of tv. My mom started checking my homework then would double check what my assignments were so I was always in trouble for that

Helicopter parent. Also, this helps verify in my mind that you're a Sensor.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Helicopter parent. Also, this helps verify in my mind that you're a Sensor.

I don't feel like she was though. Because she did encourage idependence and she didn't start out checking things. It wasn't until after I got caught a few times she did

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel like she was though

"Guided mostly" means she was a Helicopter Parent. This term also indicates that on occasion those whirling helicopter blades caused some damage to you. This would especially be true of independently-minded children, assuming you were one of those.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My ENFJ mom was a helicopter parent for sure, and my ISTJ dad was pretty neutral about pretty much any situation so I guess free range for him.

Though despite my mom being a helicopter parent I did get a lot of privileges and freedom in my life. I got to do a lot of fun things and got excused from a lot of shit since I'm their only kid. Plus, I know whenever she was chasing me down it was because she wanted me to have more opportunities later in life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My ENFJ mom was a helicopter parent for sure, and my ISTJ dad was pretty neutral about pretty much any situation so I guess free range for him.

Though despite my mom being a helicopter parent I did get a lot of privileges and freedom in my life. I got to do a lot of fun things and got excused from a lot of shit since I'm their only kid. Plus, I know whenever she was chasing me down it was because she wanted me to have more opportunities later in life.

I got a lot of privileges as well. I don't really understand.parenting terms

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a lot of privileges as well. I don't really understand.parenting terms

This depends on whether or not the privileges had to be earned.

Here's an example from a Mormon family of my acquaintance. The family lived out in the country, their kids were too young to drive yet. Or if they had licenses, gas money to drive with was doled out to them.

In order to be allowed the "privilege" of a fun trip into town, these kids were required to tear apart a car engine and put it back together again.

That's an extreme example of helicopter parenting, but it's useful for making the distinction between a privilege as a reward for good behavior (helicoptering) or privilege as in simply being a free-range child.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Free range parent. I'm not sure they entirely had a choice. I was pretty independent.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My dad was a free-range parent, I think. My mother is a little more complex, free range about some things, helicopter about others.

G

garbage

Free-range toward me, but mostly because my sibling and their own in-fighting kept my parents busy.

That style has a way of breeding independence, but also at times a sense of isolation.