• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In general what are your thoughts on mental illness?

G

garbage

wait so they should be treated to the point of not functioning?
Exactly the opposite. They should be treated so that they can function.

What's a good definition of 'can function'? I'm not sure. Can be happy, can be productive, can be self-sufficient, etc. .. that one's hard to pin down.

That is, if we have to draw a meaningful line between 'illness' and 'not illness,' I'd draw it at 'where the afflicted person can't function'--that is, that a person has a mental 'illness' if he can't function. I'd treat it as a mere personality difference on one side of the line and as an issue on the other.

So as not to be hypocritical or to speak from the outside looking in or what have you--I'll say also that that's where I've drawn it for myself. Lithium sure did treat both ends on the 'manic' and 'depressive' sides, but way too much. Being a zombie wasn't as fun as the movies make it out to be.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Exactly the opposite.

If we have to draw a meaningful line between 'illness' and 'not illness,' I'd draw it at 'where the afflicted person can't function'--that is, that a person has a mental 'illness' if he can't function. I'd treat it as a mere personality difference on one side of the line and as an issue on the other.

So as not to be hypocritical or to speak from the outside looking in--I'll say also that that's where I've drawn it for myself. Lithium sure did treat both ends on the 'manic' and 'depressive' sides, but way too much. Being a zombie wasn't as fun as the movies make it out to be.

What's a good definition of 'can function'? I'm not sure. Can be happy, can be productive, can be self-sufficient, etc. .. that one's hard to pin down.

yeah I hated being a zombie.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
In short -- they exist, and they should (in most cases) be treated to the extent that they prevent someone from functioning. It's all gray; but that's where I'd define the cutoff. That's where the pros tend to draw the line, too.

The problem is that "functioning" is more often than not defined by the prevailing norms in society. Sometimes, an individual who is considered mentally "defective" in some way or other is content with themselves; it is others that want them to change. For that reason, I embody an accomodationist philosophy more so than one that is only consistent with a curative attitude.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
The problem is that "functioning" is more often than not defined by the prevailing norms in society. Sometimes, an individual who is considered mentally "defective" in some way or other is content with themselves; it is others that want them to change. For that reason, I embody an accomodationist philosophy more so than one that is only consistent with a curative attitude.

First of all, it is pretty difficult (for some types more so than others) to be content when there is overwhelming discontent from others directed at oneself. Even for introverted types and even for thinkers. There are also plenty of people who are discontent with themselves even though they're generally liked. My point being that level of contentment with oneself can hardly be used as a measure for mental illness.

Hypatia

First of all, it is pretty difficult (for some types more so than others) to be content when there is overwhelming discontent from others directed at oneself. Even for introverted types and even for thinkers. There are also plenty of people who are discontent with themselves even though they're generally liked. My point being that level of contentment with oneself can hardly be used as a measure for mental illness.
You didn't understand my point.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=5578]garbage[/MENTION], you mean functioning as in able to hold down a job and a few other things right? not functioning as in happy.Because there's a difference

Mole

Permabanned
The Journal of Neuroscience recently published a study which found that experimenting with cannabis on a casual basis damages the brain permanently.

And as this study in the Journal of Neuroscience suggests, cannabis can have a really serious impact on your mental health.

And this research in the Journal of Neuroscience shows that when people smoke cannabis before the age of 15, it quadruples their chance of developing a psychosis.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
The Journal of Neuroscience recently published a study which found that experimenting with cannabis on a casual basis damages the brain permanently.

And as this study in the Journal of Neuroscience suggests, cannabis can have a really serious impact on your mental health.

And this research in the Journal of Neuroscience shows that when people smoke cannabis before the age of 15, it quadruples their chance of developing a psychosis.

URL?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
You didn't understand my point.

I did, and I wasn't necessarily countering it. Although it's obvious that societal assessment of a person's "level of functioning" is total BS, it's also true that whether or not a person wants to change the way they function mentally is not an indication of whether they should or not. Something to consider before you start favoring accommodationist philosophy.

Hypatia

I did, and I wasn't necessarily countering it. Although it's obvious that societal assessment of a person's "level of functioning" is total BS, it's also true that whether or not a person wants to change the way they function mentally is not an indication of whether they should or not. Something to consider before you start favoring accommodationist philosophy.

Your post continues to demonstrate you did not.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
garbage, you mean functioning as in able to hold down a job and a few other things right? not functioning as in happy.Because there's a difference

I know this question was directed at [MENTION=5578]garbage[/MENTION], but I'd like to comment on it.

If there is any way to prioritize the person's happiness while still getting them to a place where they can function in society, that would be the ideal. There needs to be some sort of balance between the two, otherwise life becomes unlivable. If the person can hold a job but is miserable because of the treatment that allows them to be able to hold that job, then something needs to be adjusted. And, I think the same for the other way around. If the person is happy, but can't minimally function in society, something needs to be adjusted, because we all have to make compromises to our happiness in order to get by in society.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Your post continues to demonstrate you did not.
And your posts continue to lack any attempt to clarify your point if I have misunderstood it.

Hypatia

And your posts continue to lack any attempt to clarify your point if I have misunderstood it.

When I perceive assumptions being made about me, it is up to my discretion whether I want to dispel them or not.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
When I perceive assumptions being made about me, it is up to my discretion whether I want to dispel them or not.

How does this have anything to do with assumptions being made about *you*? I was responding to your post, which was regarding your views on mental illness. Anyway, in the same vein, when I perceive other people making assumptions that are incorrect, I'll continue to call them out and not take "You don't understand my point, which I refuse to explain" for anything more than an inability to defend one's point. Have a good evening.

Hypatia

How does this have anything to do with assumptions being made about *you*? I was responding to your post, which was regarding your views on mental illness. Anyway, in the same vein, when I perceive other people making assumptions that are incorrect, I'll continue to call them out and not take "You don't understand my point, which I refuse to explain" for anything more than an inability to defend one's point. Have a good evening.

Well, that was amusing.

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
so what are they?
what do you think causes them?
are you scared of people who are mentally ill?
do you know anyone who is?
what do you think impact on society is?
what do you think is the most effective way of treating them?
do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?
ect
I am not going to share mine, nor give you my reasoning for creating this thread. I'm just curious to see how you perceive it.

The book that had the biggest impact on my way of seeing things, in the past few years, was 'Nutrition and Physical Degeneration' by Weston Price. The book studied people with deformities of the face, head, mouth, and body, which the author said were caused by malnutrition of the mother during pregnancy and malnutrition during the child's early life. I agree with this, but would add that chemicals and drugs cause these deformities too.

The deformities are preventable, not genetic. That was the biggest paradigm shift for me, realizing that people were able to prevent their children from having these problems. Deformities of the head and body correlate with personality problems, mental illnesses, and lifelong chronic physical illnesses, along with lower functioning in society overall.

I'm not normally scared of people who are mentally ill, but then again I don't encounter a lot of people with severe and obvious mental illnesses. One time, I wasn't scared, but I probably should have been. Back when I had a car, there was this homeless guy sitting at McDonald's, playing music on his computer and singing loudly along with the music. He was annoying to everyone. I talked to him, and ended up taking him home to my apartment so he could sleep, and I was going to drive him to wherever he wanted to go, since he was traveling. But I couldn't stand him. He could not fall asleep and constantly wanted to interact with me and would not leave me alone. He was in physical pain from a back injury and was using some kind of drugs. He was lying out there in the living room, and holding a wrench in his hand (which he had brought along in his backpack), and whacking the wrench back and forth, clicking it loudly and irritably. That scared me. He didn't come kill me though, and I'm still alive, and I drove him to another town later on and dropped him off. He was somehow... 'stupid,' in a way that I can't really describe, and annoying, and intolerable to be around. If I had total control over his life and could try to 'fix' him, I would put him on a special diet, and try to find some kind of alternative painkiller to give him so he could get off whatever drugs he was on, but I couldn't do much more than that. I'd have to put him into a community environment where he didn't have to have a normal job.

Living in a community that supports you would be the solution for a lot of people. Our modern civilization has way too high of a cost of living, and the taxes are high and always getting higher, and rent - I don't believe in paying rent or owning land. People should have the option of living rent-free on land as subsistence hunter-gatherers or subsistence farmers, and people who can't function well in the fast-paced modern society are able to do something simple there, like pick berries.

There are many other illnesses that are caused by, or worsened by, chemicals and foods. It's possible to treat 'schizophrenia' by going on a wheat-free diet, if anyone can even define what exactly schizophrenia is. I'm not scared of people who are merely walking around quietly talking to themselves in public, because I can tell that their mood is not angry or aggressive. I try not to do anything that will scare these people, because it's possible someone could accidentally hit you when you startled them or something, but they usually don't seem like they want to attack anybody.

Other illnesses are caused by things like dental fillings with mercury in them, or vaccines like the Gardasil vaccine, which can cause people to develop narcolepsy and cataplexy (I saw someone's blog, I think in this forum, someone who had cataplexy, and I wish I could tell her that she got it from a vaccine, because that is almost always where it comes from). Gardasil can also cause people to develop severe anxiety and depression when they never had it before. A girl that I work with started having seizures, severe anxiety and depression, and started cutting herself with sharp objects, after she got the vaccine. It causes inflammation in the brain, among other things, along with a chronic HPV viral infection and other viruses that were not intended to be in the vaccine.

The impact on society: bad, and steadily getting worse. As long as people keep taking all their prescription drugs while they're pregnant, all their antidepressants and blood pressure drugs and everything while pregnant, which is what everyone's doing nowadays, and which is what their doctors are telling them to do, then their children will keep on being born autistic and with deformities and mental disorders and heart defects. It has a huge impact on the medical system, because people have to pay hundreds of dollars for all the drugs that they give to these kids with autism and with other disorders. Overall, society functions better when everybody is healthier and happier, and these chronic mental and physical illnesses are almost 100% preventable if you have the knowledge.

Do I know anyone who is: I myself would be labeled as having a mental illness, but the only illness that I label myself with is 'chronic fatigue syndrome.' My sort-of-sometimes boyfriend (who, it turns out, is not an ENFP, but an ENTJ... long story (*EDIT: No he's not! I just saw him again today. He is an ENFP! Don't let me retype him. If I ever retype him again, ignore me. I am a retard.*) also would be labeled as having mental illnesses, but again, I feel that his are temporary and curable if you remove the causes, and I'm pretty sure I know what's causing them. Most of the time, I don't view these illnesses as being permanent, but sometimes they are. They can be greatly improved using only natural methods such as nutrition, removal of harmful chemicals from their environment, avoidance of vaccines, dental filling removal, and other things.

I can only recognize a very severe and incapacitating mental illness through a sole interaction. The milder ones, I wouldn't know. However, I can tell when someone is on antidepressants. I can recognize the look in their eyes. Their eyes become shiny and sparkly, and they have a permagrin, a smile that never goes away, and they have a fake excessive cheerfulness that I don't like, which I recognize from when I myself was on antidepressants. It is an unnatural and excessive type of cheerfulness that isn't associated with personality type - I've known all different personality types and even the 'cheerful' ones don't act this way - it's totally the drugs.

Last but not least, radio frequency weapons cause people to experience symptoms of mental illness. However, if people are suffering from any kind of physical illness that affects their brain or their entire body, it makes them react badly to radio frequency weapon attacks, whereas a person who is healthy overall and mentally healthy is better able to tolerate radio frequency attacks and continue to live their lives, which is what I myself am doing.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1.they exist
2.variety of things, but i don't think abuse really though that could be a factor, but i think that causes more personality disorders. I think it's mostly genetic, but externaol factors can start it, but there was always potential
3. Not really, but sometimes I am uncomfortable, but i'm uncomfortable around most people, so perhaps it's just humans in general
4. I know at least several
5. if they're getting treatment, I don't think there is much on one
6. meds if necessary but if it can be avoided should be. therapy, whatever support they need
7.no, trust me, just no