• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychopath or Narcissist?

Which would you rather be?

• Psychopath

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Narcissist

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This needs definitions.

I guess I'd rather be a psychopath. They seem more in control over creating their own happiness whereas narcissists are hopelessly dependent on other people for theirs.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Psychopath, I think.

They're both assholish personalities and dangerous to their environment in similar ways. At least the psychopath isn't needy, entitled and starving for admiration.

I also suspect psychopaths to be better equipped for getting what they want and navigating through the world. They're often charismatic, charming and persuasive. Based on the NPD description you linked, narcissists seem to be openly condescending and arrogant, whereas a psychopath would be more covert and able to hide their pathology. This could possibly send the narcissist down a negative spiral: You act with assumed superiority, you're disliked by your peers for it and get angry because they don't recognize your excellence, possibly reinforcing the belief that plebeians just don't get you. A psychopath wouldn't give a fuck about any of that.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:unsure:

neither.

maybe narcissistic only because it seems like it could be resolved more easily.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Either fate is my chosen antithesis, a narcissist is what I try to steer away from being, and a psychopath is what I avoid steering into. I'd just kill myself.

L

LadyLazarus

I'm already kind of a narcissist, so I'll just stick with what I know.

badger055

Permabanned
I already have most of the dark triad traits. Don't knock it till you try it.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I imagine life as a psychopath would be very flat, and life as a narcissist would be very inconsistent. The two do overlap some, though, maybe without the dependence usually associated with narcissism.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
being a psychopath is fun but horribly black and white

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah, psychopathy is literally the go-to word for people to describe horrid people and situations. There's a reason we equate it on colloquial language with such negative contexts--being a genuine psychopath sucks. Psychopathic breakdowns are just.. painful to watch happen to others. There's such a huge disparity between normal social behavior and psychopathic mentalities. It's an entirely different realm.

However, I've dealt more with the other flavor of the what-if-question. I'd much rather be so narcissistic.. Not because it's any better.. but because there could be a connection to people in the process--an outlet of SOME sort, some motivator to become normal and maintain it.. there's a safety net there of caring about other peoples' opinions. My disorder would probably be out in the open far sooner--it's easier to call someone a narcissist and call them out on it. People are far more hesitant to try to self-diagnose psychopaths as being what they truly are.

G

Ginkgo

Yeah, psychopathy is literally the go-to word for people to describe horrid people and situations. There's a reason we equate it on colloquial language with such negative contexts--being a genuine psychopath sucks. Psychopathic breakdowns are just.. painful to watch happen to others. There's such a huge disparity between normal social behavior and psychopathic mentalities. It's an entirely different realm.

However, I've dealt more with the other flavor of the what-if-question. I'd much rather be so narcissistic.. Not because it's any better.. but because there could be a connection to people in the process--an outlet of SOME sort, some motivator to become normal and maintain it.. there's a safety net there of caring about other peoples' opinions. My disorder would probably be out in the open far sooner--it's easier to call someone a narcissist and call them out on it. People are far more hesitant to try to self-diagnose psychopaths as being what they truly are.

Good points. My hypothesis was that most people here would vote in favor of psychopathy, even though narcissism bares a closer likeness to the psyche of an "average" individual.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
narcissist (which is probably a good thing, cuz I didn't get much of a choice in the matter lol)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I would have a very hard time being either one. I knew a person once who suffered from NPD and she was an awful person - very charming but very destructive and harmful to others they were around. Both seem terrible to me.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I chose narcisist. I hate them- but I feel they are just hopelessly annoying versus psychopaths who leave much damage in their paths.

Mel94

MBTI Type
ENFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
I chose psychopath because as long as I had a sense of ethical direction, I could be like some unfearing psychopath.
Narcissism seems to imply that I would rather be admired than have any direction, so I'd rather my lack of emotion went towards the right direction because I'm feeling right now and if I stopped feeling I at least appointed the direction and I'd make sure I went the right road like a torpedo, least my feelings at this moment fired that gun.

I wouldn't choose either though and I won't, I'd rather feel me and "me" isn't a narcissist or psychopath.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I used to want to be a psychopath. I don't anymore - I am happier overall when I'm more vulnerable, even though its painful.

I am already a little narcissistic. I would not want to be more narcissistic, but I've been close with a narcissist who is .. while difficult and annoying.. still a person who inspires me.. so I guess it's not that bad.