• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which social rules do you think don't make sense?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't that because they wipe their butt with their left hand?

Where did you find the secret? Stay where you are. I've called our air forc- I mean, our local Friendly Unharmful Nonviolent (FUN) people to send you a present.
(A more serious answer: depends on the culture. Some Chinese people apparently just... do nothing)

About the 'honorifics'... This doesn't exist in English anymore, but as English people used to say 'thou' = informal and 'you' = formal. My ex, she had to use 'you' to address her parents. I was truly shocked when she told me that, they are your parents??
In The Netherlands they are much more focused on these 'civil' pronouns, when you're young and you're talking to an older person. As a form of 'respect'. Well... Let me tell you that first of all I don't have to respect you just because you are older. And... just no, I won't use it. It makes me uncomfortable, my respect is not enforceable (through language). But some older people really become 'angry' when you don't use 'you' because it's 'disrespectful'. They have to give you permission to use the informormal 'you'. (well good buddy, I surely don't respect you anymore now, go cry about it in a corner)

I saw this somewhere recently and so, conclusion: thou = y'all

So Netherlands is a bit like a few Asian countries then. Honestly? I don't super mind, but if you're gonna act weird around me and not call my name because I'm just a year above you by god cut it out
In Asia since it's a very strict thing, dropping the honorifics in the family is almost like disowning the person. I'm not kidding.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I knew a left-handed person who lived in Indonesia for several years and had terrible trouble on that account. That was the first time I had heard of such customs.

This is less Asian, more Muslim. It's a Muslim custom, they have rules for it. Is why it's a thing with Malaysians and Indonesians.

I do appreciate that modern English lacks such distinctions. The flip side is also true, though. Just as you don't need to use honorifics or a formal "you" to show or feel respect, you can use them without feeling any shred of respect for the recipient. What this means is all we can enforce with such language is the show of respect, not the actual attitude. That must be earned on a case by case basis. All that being said, I can be bothered by excessive familiarity. It's not that I desire the show of respect that more formal interaction brings, more that I find it a convenient and generally accepted way to keep one's distance, unless dealing with close friends.

In Japanese, if you use an honorific that obviously does not apply to the person (eg; doctor for one who isn't a doctor or more commonly, 'Milord') to address them, that is an insult. That's why in popular media you see people getting so frazzled and in denial if someone calls them say, tutor, or 'senpai', out of the blue even if they do have seniority in age, skill, etc if the caller isn't their actual junior in some way. This rule extends online as well, producers tend to stick a P to their name (so you'd be Coriolis-P) and it's a quiet but very accepted common rule that you don't treat it like a joke or stick it on your name for funsies.

Last edited:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just realized / remembered that 'Asia' resides in western minds as a giant homogenous blob and it's like... You don't liken North America to any other America. Or Germans to Italians. It's just... Different. There are differences in cultures, norms, what is expected and what is shunned even in the 1 same country. Here, 'Asia' works more as a geographical division than actual statement of culture. Likening 1 Asian culture to another is like likening US customs to a Mexican one because both of you are in the same America.

Something to remember.

EDIT: I got a rep on this, so I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean it only via racism, etc but, but genuine lack of knowledge. Asia is on the literal other half of the world, there are an honest kighjillion things Asians don't know about each other and even less can the western world manage to do so without specific effort. Like how even I sometimes forget that India is also in Asia, despite growing up with Indians. What I did was give an easy way to understand the concept using a western example that is relevant, and thus can 'click' and stay in the mind, because those context clues are closer and more familiar.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Gender and sexual preference laws. For instance, not everyone is male or female, and not everyone is straight or gay.