• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which social rules do you think don't make sense?

L

LadyLazarus

To soothe social contact.

If somebody didn't like you, would you like them being rude or aggressive?

1.)I do not prioritize that over genuine expression of the way I feel towards someone at all, therefore I see no point in them personally. Which was why I you know; stated them. Within the larger scope of things, I'm sure that matters to someone out there, and I understand that's why, it just personally does not make sense to me/ match up with my values. Of course I didn't mean they literally did not make sense to me, that would be absurd, I'm aware of what's going on around me and I can piece it together. Which is why I stated them as not making sense to me as in not literally but in regards to myself;as the dictated by the title, not that I don't understand their intended purpose within society.

2.)Yes.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So any tradition is bad because it's unPC or "limits individuality"?

meh, to me lots of things are done not for rational purposes, but for effect or sentiment. Humans aren't strictly rational.

Lookin' for a fight? That's bad manners. :biggrin: I was posting in mild favor of 'rules'.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The recent petty sniping has been moved to the Graveyard. Please stay on topic, and play nice.

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
nice? they weren't to me lol..

I would also add I detest this modern notion of "prejudice being a mental illness".....ok, so most people who've ever lived were "mentally ill", got it..

Jaguar

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

My father told me that for years.
I ignored it.

As for me, I don't understand the problem some have with the F-bomb. When I say it in public, some women act as if I just ran over their dog with a car.

It's just a fucking word.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My father told me that for years.
I ignored it.

As for me, I don't understand the problem some have with the F-bomb. When I say it in public, some women act as if I just ran over their dog with a car.

It's just a fucking word.

Replace it with the dreaded C-word, instead. :D

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lookin' for a fight? That's bad manners. :biggrin: I was posting in mild favor of 'rules'.

eh? sorry, please expand on your point. the point of the forum is to reply to others.

and fight? why must I "fight" strangers? you must be insecure, if you seek fights for empty reasons...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
eh? sorry, please expand on your point. the point of the forum is to reply to others.

and fight? why must I "fight" strangers? you must be insecure, if you seek fights for empty reasons...

Responding is more than just quoting somebody and typing something. You missed this little connection where you might have tried to indicate that whatever you typed was part of some sort of dialog with me, other than being generally on-topic, which doesn't require a quote.

The fight comment was mostly to point out the irony that you side with the idea of etiquette and manners, yet don't seem to tow the line.

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
Responding is more than just quoting somebody and typing something. You missed this little connection where you might have tried to indicate that whatever you typed was part of some sort of dialog with me, other than being generally on-topic, which doesn't require a quote.

The fight comment was mostly to point out the irony that you side with the idea of etiquette and manners, yet don't seem to tow the line.

er...OK. So you look for fights online...lol...not my issue if you do..

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen these exact words on this forum in response to a rebuttal.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The idea of profanity is ridiculous, imo. It's not the actual meaning of the word that's considered bad because it doesn't matter how you use it and it's ok if you replace it with a more kid friendly version. So....it's literally just the sound and arrangement of letters that are so profane and offensive? Let's get rid of that.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
- People asking 'how are you' while it's not even a genuine question. What's the point of asking someone how they are when you don't even care? Why is it seen as being friendly when it's actually such an underhand question? I figured it's even more a thing in America (based on the things I've heard/read), that it's normal to ask that question, that it's 'polite'. It doesn't happen that much in my country but it really bothers me when people ask me this. I'm fine, Suzan. Bye Suzan. No, I am not going to ask you how you are, since I figured that you might not have to time to spill you whole life story while I am just passing by. I sincerely hope that you're doing fine tho. Ok?
And I mean when someone who's basically a stranger asks you this question; who the f*ck even are you?? You might want to start with that question.

I am waiting for the day when I have to courage to say that hey you know what I am actually doing bad? But soooooo fucking bad mate, you wouldn't believe it. Just to shock them. And then... they might realize how pointless their question is and that they don't want to deal with the truth.

- Though gender roles are still the biggest joke, ever. And I hate shaking hands.

- Having to study right after finishing high school. Oh boy, the critiques I received when I didn't. Because if you stop then you'll never continue to study, right? Luckily, I couldn't care less.

- 'Kind regards' at the end of a message. Addressing people with 'Dear Mrs/Ms...' (I now read that it stands for married women?? What even?? How on earth do you even know that they are married? -To make things clear, we don't make that distinguishment in my country. We do use 'Dear miss/sir' though-)

- Why is it weird/inappropriate to cry in public?

- Why are monogamous relationships still the 'norm' while it's something that got introduced through religion? It's bizarre that it's illegal. I thought the church and the state separated from each other years ago, apparently not.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently I once offended an aunt by not being 'thankful' enough for the present she gave me. I don't exactly recall saying 'thank you' (I thought I did but apparently I didn't). She just asked me if I liked the present, I said yes. Probably forgot to say 'thank you' after it but shouldn't a simple yes be enough? Am I supposed to bow for you because you gave me something? In that case; I don't want it.
I received a whole rant after this about how people are more likely to give you more stuff in the future when you are thankful for the things that are given to you. Okay, we obviously don't understand each other. There's no need to lecture me like that.

I enjoy quipping back with "If your affections for me can be purchased with a simple smile and thank you, you're quite the cheap buy, aren't you?"

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- People asking 'how are you' while it's not even a genuine question. What's the point of asking someone how they are when you don't even care? Why is it seen as being friendly when it's actually such an underhand question? I figured it's even more a thing in America (based on the things I've heard/read), that it's normal to ask that question, that it's 'polite'. It doesn't happen that much in my country but it really bothers me when people ask me this. I'm fine, Suzan. Bye Suzan. No, I am not going to ask you how you are, since I figured that you might not have to time to spill you whole life story while I am just passing by. I sincerely hope that you're doing fine tho. Ok?
And I mean when someone who's basically a stranger asks you this question; who the f*ck even are you?? You might want to start with that question.

I am waiting for the day when I have to courage to say that hey you know what I am actually doing bad? But soooooo fucking bad mate, you wouldn't believe it. Just to shock them. And then... they might realize how pointless their question is and that they don't want to deal with the truth.

- Though gender roles are still the biggest joke, ever. And I hate shaking hands.

- Having to study right after finishing high school. Oh boy, the critiques I received when I didn't. Because if you stop then you'll never continue to study, right? Luckily, I couldn't care less.

- 'Kind regards' at the end of a message. Addressing people with 'Dear Mrs/Ms...' (I now read that it stands for married women?? What even?? How on earth do you even know that they are married? -To make things clear, we don't make that distinguishment in my country. We do use 'Dear miss/sir' though-)

- Why is it weird/inappropriate to cry in public?

- Why are monogamous relationships still the 'norm' while it's something that got introduced through religion? It's bizarre that it's illegal. I thought the church and the state separated from each other years ago, apparently not.

Since I really don't like most gifts I am given, I would be just as happy for people to stop giving them to me.

I agree on the rest. I have no patience with those stupid, empty questions. How I am is none of their business anyway, even if they really did want to know. And don't get me started on gender expectations. If your behavior toward me is based on my gender, you are not seeing me as a person, and probably making a whole slew of incorrect assumptions. Just stop.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fashionably late is a little dumb. Why set a time for something if people aren't expected to follow it? If you might not be ready, then schedule it for a time when you have something ready.

Is fashionably late also a thing with dates, too? Not sure about that one.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The droning script of customer service . . . or rather, the society that caused that kind of approach to work to begin with.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, and inspired by [MENTION=30038]The Cat[/MENTION]... in any specific subculture, gatekeeping.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
It really depends on what your definition of gatekeeping is imo. Sometimes it's necessary to be critical and to keep people out of 'your' community.

As some people call it gatekeeping when you won't allow a self-diagnosed 'person with autism' in the community (par example). Some might see it as gatekeeping, I would rather see it as 'protecting' the community. To prevent the spreading of false information, to prevent vulnerable people from identifying themselves with random labels they actually don't know as much about as they think they do. To make the people that are in the community feel safe; not everyone has to be accepted just for the sake of it or because it's emotional.

It's as if a straight girl would walk into a gaybar and label herself as gay though she's not attracted to girls. Gatekeeping is a more complex subject to me though... Especially if you're going to talk about gender and sexuality.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fashionably late is a little dumb. Why set a time for something if people aren't expected to follow it? If you might not be ready, then schedule it for a time when you have something ready.

Is fashionably late also a thing with dates, too? Not sure about that one.
Not if you are dating me.