• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which social rules do you think don't make sense?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow. All this intellectual conversation. And to think I started this thread to get ideas for dumb shit I can do. Just wow.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow. All this intellectual conversation. And to think I started this thread to get ideas for dumb shit I can do. Just wow.
Some people think making intellectual conversation violates the social rules, so there you go.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some people think making intellectual conversation violates the social rules, so there you go.

OMG, I experience this so often.
Facts are facts, not opinions.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

The concept of "fashionably late". I do not get it, I will never get it, and I refuse to do it. If you tell me the party starts at 8, I will be there exactly at 8.

Lmao

W

WhoCares

People throwing 'how are you' at me then getting shitty because I didnt give them the standard [required] 'good thanks'. Two thoughts here....

If you just want to acknowledge or greet me, say Hi. Thats enough then I'll say Hi back.
If you actually have no interest in how I actually am don't expect me to play your social dance and lie because it makes you feel better in the inside...kay?

I'm really not into trivialising life with standard question and response type interactions. I mean, there is just no point in it. Lets have a meaningful reaction or none at all, I'm fine with either option.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People throwing 'how are you' at me then getting shitty because I didnt give them the standard [required] 'good thanks'. Two thoughts here....

If you just want to acknowledge or greet me, say Hi. Thats enough then I'll say Hi back.
If you actually have no interest in how I actually am don't expect me to play your social dance and lie because it makes you feel better in the inside...kay?

I'm really not into trivialising life with standard question and response type interactions. I mean, there is just no point in it. Lets have a meaningful reaction or none at all, I'm fine with either option.

But what if the meaningful reaction to the other person is the standard [required] 'good thanks'?

W

WhoCares

But what if the meaningful reaction to the other person is the standard [required] 'good thanks'?

Then it meaningful and not the standard. I'm not outlawing 'good thanks' as an option if its an accurate reflection of what going on.

Oh! Just thought of another one. Answering the door just because someone knocked on it. If I'm looking outside and seeing no-one I know, I dont have to open my door or even reveal I'm at home. Bible bashers, neighbours, ex-bfs can all go to hell. I dont care if you see me in the window and know I'm home, if I dont want to chat to you I can make a cup of tea and wait for you to go away.

W

WALMART

chewing with your mouth closed

fuck that

also, no pissing outdoors

cage us up and call me civilized...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The one that rationalizes our abuse of those that arent considered human as we're supposed to be superior - be it morally, intelectually or evolutionary.

Cant get more ironic and less 'humane' really.

á´…eparted

passages
also, no pissing outdoors

When I was an undergrad I had phase that I went through that, when I was drunk I refuse to use a toilet if I did not know the people who lived there. Instead, I'd go outside and piss in a bush. All of my friends thought I was weird for doing so (valid) and were way too amused by it. But mostly, they were grossed out. "How can you pee outside?!". I guess cause as a child if I had to pee while I was in the car, my dad would pull over on the road and tell me to go in the woods. I think nothing of that, and when I tried to do that with a few friends 2 summers ago, they flat out refused to stop the car and let me doing it cause it's "wrong", and commence argument about the ethics of peeing, ha!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
OMG, I experience this so often.
Facts are facts, not opinions.

It's probably because people react defensively to facts and intellectual conversations where they are guilty of what is being discussed, even though it isn't directly about them.

Or a knee-jerk reaction to suddenly being presented with a perspective or body of information that they had not considered before, which brings into question their current life style and existence.

Spruce Bringsteen

Having to "put on a smile" or be happy go lucky at a retail/sales type job. Most of the time I just act naturally, how I'm feeling.
It's weird to feel awful one day and having to be chipper to customers like I owe them some gratitude or something. And then when I'm done acting it's exhausting to pretend to be a happy extrovert when i'm not one. It's jarring on the emotions to go back and forth, it's like momentary supression of my real feelings.
And it's so American to act like that at a job. In other countries people are paid more at such jobs that invest a persons emotions on a daily basis.
And it's especially difficult when you get a customer who is entitled and thinks you are their door mat, like "you're not human I'll just verbally and emotionally attack you because I'm having a bad day and you work for me, the customer" all because they can't find the missing mate to a shoe or something petty.
Which brings me to another point. The saying "the customer is always right." I can't remember the rich guy's name who came up with that, but that's along the same lines of what I just stated.
Of course no one wants to go to a store full of curmugeony jerks, but there aren't that many curmudgeony people working at department stores haha.
Also I hate "god bless you." People used to say that after a person sneezed because they thought their soul was escaping and that they would die, some pagan non sense. Anyway I think that one could have been let go long ago. I don't think anyone ever died after sneezing. So you'd think that people would stop saying that since no one was dying after a sneeze or two.
Haha

W

WALMART

When I was an undergrad I had phase that I went through that, when I was drunk I refuse to use a toilet if I did not know the people who lived there. Instead, I'd go outside and piss in a bush. All of my friends thought I was weird for doing so (valid) and were way too amused by it. But mostly, they were grossed out. "How can you pee outside?!". I guess cause as a child if I had to pee while I was in the car, my dad would pull over on the road and tell me to go in the woods. I think nothing of that, and when I tried to do that with a few friends 2 summers ago, they flat out refused to stop the car and let me doing it cause it's "wrong", and commence argument about the ethics of peeing, ha!

Brothers in piss.

Having to "put on a smile" or be happy go lucky at a retail/sales type job. Most of the time I just act naturally, how I'm feeling.
It's weird to feel awful one day and having to be chipper to customers like I owe them some gratitude or something. And then when I'm done acting it's exhausting to pretend to be a happy extrovert when i'm not one. It's jarring on the emotions to go back and forth, it's like momentary supression of my real feelings.
And it's so American to act like that at a job. In other countries people are paid more at such jobs that invest a persons emotions on a daily basis.
And it's especially difficult when you get a customer who is entitled and thinks you are their door mat, like "you're not human I'll just verbally and emotionally attack you because I'm having a bad day and you work for me, the customer" all because they can't find the missing mate to a shoe or something petty.
Which brings me to another point. The saying "the customer is always right." I can't remember the rich guy's name who came up with that, but that's along the same lines of what I just stated.
Of course no one wants to go to a store full of curmugeony jerks, but there aren't that many curmudgeony people working at department stores haha.
Also I hate "god bless you." People used to say that after a person sneezed because they thought their soul was escaping and that they would die, some pagan non sense. Anyway I think that one could have been let go long ago. I don't think anyone ever died after sneezing. So you'd think that people would stop saying that since no one was dying after a sneeze or two.
Haha

I feel your pain. I got out of customer service because I realized that sometimes I just wanna stare at a wall and curse anything that interrupts me. Customers are not conducent to that end.

(Though I'm starting to realize there is little escaping trifling existences :cry:)

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel your pain. I got out of customer service because I realized that sometimes I just wanna stare at a wall and curse anything that interrupts me. Customers are not conducent to that end.

(Though I'm starting to realize there is little escaping trifling existences :cry:)

:happy2: When I first started working, exactly the same feeling.

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
In contemporary Western society? hmm...I'd say:

- Men not hitting women (in self-defence, or well generally, i don't see why "weakness" makes a difference here)
- The PC movement (much of which is based on shit not applicable to or drawn from reality)
- This "treat me human" bullshit, often said by socially needy people who need constant affirmation or baseless associations with others
- Modern medicine pushing meditation onto the masses, most likely as some kind of plot to change society

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
1.Pleasantries
2.Pretending you like people you hate
3.Hugging strangers/acquaintances(I hate it when someone I do not approve of/know well hugs me.)
4.Smiling at people I do not know.
5.Being nice to people I do not love/like

To soothe social contact.

If somebody didn't like you, would you like them being rude or aggressive?

annexfriesia

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
There are a lot of societal rules that don't make sense in this day and age, like saying 'bless you' when somebody sneezes, removing your hat indoors, opening doors for people. There are a lot of etiquette rules that most people don't follow, but do exist, like how you fold and place your dinner napkin, ways of using utensils and others. You know, in a way I like arbitrary rules as long as they're harmless. Maybe it's because they are gestures, more ways of expressing something. Maybe just like a structure, even if I don't always feel compelled to attempt to occupy it.

So any tradition is bad because it's unPC or "limits individuality"?

meh, to me lots of things are done not for rational purposes, but for effect or sentiment. Humans aren't strictly rational.