• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which social rules do you think don't make sense?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
One thing being normal doesn't necessitate another thing being shunned. It could be just less common, less normal.

If someone called you "less than normal" I reckon you wouldn't take it as a compliment.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
code switching. having to use more or less formal speech in different settings.

thank you cards - or cards in general. they should be an option, not a requirement.

giving an excuse for declining an invitation.

smiling and pretending your day/life is great when you're feeling bad or life sucks. not helpful to anyone.

not singing/dancing/whistling/otherwise being goofy in public. let it fly, man.

Argh! Fucking this ^ all of this!!!

S

Stansmith

Greeting people that you recognize from some social group, but have barely ever talked to. People can usually get the message, but that moment of recognition where you lock eyes can be pretty awkward.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
code switching. having to use more or less formal speech in different settings.
Just imagine how complicated it is in Japan!

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Sometimes....when I'm feeling particularly badass....I put my elbows on the table!!

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eat with my fingers.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just imagine how complicated it is in Japan!

Was just talking about this with a friend recently. Really cool from a cultural/linguistic standpoint, but thank goodness I'm not a Japanese girl. I'd be in time out. Hah!

G

Ginkgo

I don't necessarily agree with the notion that you need to make eye contact with someone to have a meaningful interaction with them. I mean, prolonged eye-contact just comes across as intimidating, awkward, and even coldly reptilian, so why force it?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't necessarily agree with the notion that you need to make eye contact with someone to have a meaningful interaction with them. I mean, prolonged eye-contact just comes across as intimidating, awkward, and even coldly reptilian, so why force it?
I heard somewhere that prolonged eye contact signals either aggression or sexual interest. Sounds like a factoid and I can't find much to support that claim, but considering many people become inexplicably uncomfortable by uninterrupted eye contact, I think there's a grain of truth in that statement.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was just talking about this with a friend recently. Really cool from a cultural/linguistic standpoint, but thank goodness I'm not a Japanese girl. I'd be in time out. Hah!

I know. I wonder if they mess up when they are first learning?

I heard somewhere that prolonged eye contact signals either aggression or sexual interest. Sounds like a factoid and I can't find much to support that claim, but considering many people become inexplicably uncomfortable by uninterrupted eye contact, I think there's a grain of truth in that statement.
I used to feel like this when people wanted to make eye contact with me; then I started to not mind it by just looking at their eyes like any other body part. Anyway, after I started doing it about as much as other people I noticed it doesn't have to be uninterrupted- you just have to periodically look at people when they are talking like an affirmative yes, ok, un-huh, that kind of thing. Dunno if that helps. I think mirroring a person that way helps if they are uncomfortable with eye contact too.

W

WALMART

No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Kids in hawaii go to school barefoot with only a pair of shorts on!

G

garbage

A lot of them.

Cards are up there. Really, anything involving something tedious that we're 'expected' to reciprocate to one another.

I ain't gonna run to no damn Hallmark to pick up a Christmas card for you when I talk to you all the time anyway

Thankfully, the most egregious of them aren't 'enforced' so often.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that one where someone is lecturing you about something, that you can't be like shut the fuck up, I don't care. and them not get pissed

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saying "Bless you" or "geshundheit (sp?)" when someone sneezes. What's the point in that? Why that phrase? Sneezing is just one of those involuntary bodily functions and no more. Why don't we say certain magic words when someone coughs, burps, hiccups, farts, etc. What makes sneezing so special?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cards are up there. Really, anything involving something tedious that we're 'expected' to reciprocate to one another.

I ain't gonna run to no damn Hallmark to pick up a Christmas card for you when I talk to you all the time anyway
Exactly. If I want to give a special holiday greeting to someone I see often, I will write a short note (on whatever is available), send an email, or even give them something like a small box of cookies. Something that comes from me and my desire to recognize the occasion and our relationship.

Mel94

MBTI Type
ENFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
I think social convention all makes sense to me. Though I do believe some areas should be curtailed more like unnecessary discrimination yet I also believe that harmless liberties as long as they are considerate/private should be more allowed.
It's certain individuals and groups that get to me more than the conventions. I see morality efficiently keeps the masses in order and big apparent improvements to this could cause issues. As an individual I am quite sensitive to certain things that are allowed though I'm also feeling anchored down by how I'm expected to be. In statistics, there is always some minority and I am thankful that society is at least somewhat consistent. Mind, I rarely think about such things and am guided by principles instead of rules, yet those principles are pretty strong due to my nervous nature.

I'm pretty neutral, any issue is just a challenge to me and looking back, every challenge I've ran into has just become an achievement marking that I survived society. I'm chill and just deal with things, not liberal or conservative even, I'm just focused on me, my friends and my family regardless of how culture is. I compromise as best as I can with society, in the end of the day life is all experience in my eyes. The law has not much say behind close doors and no evidence, as well, I think its fine to be say discriminatory if no one gets hurt like if its a joke yet I know people do get hurt so I wouldn't say it anyone's presence. This is why I am largely careless beyond what personally affects me and society so far hasn't really crossed that line too much with me, any minority I am a part of is maturing into the majority, seems I am at one with the progressive nature of society and evolution is me just like anyone else the trick is to not be the defective ever-decimating minority. All else is a fight for rights and society seems very open to rights, all I can hope is it selects the rights that adhere to mine as it is -society- that gave me my values and it is my will or defect to be in any way different to that. Don't know if this spells Fi or Fe.

That's me, anyway.