• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people hate tradional thoughts and practices?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like them, I actually prefer simplesty in life. Like not having any piercings or tattoos, I don't over dress I just wear clothes. I just like being me, and have normal traditional thoughts. I enjoy family and friends, a simple dinner.

so why do people try so hard to be different? I want a quiet life, a good life, a dog/cat, friends, internet, and a decent job that's gonna put me in at least middle class.

what are they hiding from?

á´…eparted

passages
Hating things because it's tradition or common and that's the core reason why it is disliked is just idiotic. Talk about a completely baseless opinion. Though I admit I have a few of those opinions, and I suspect everyone does.

Sometimes people like to stand out. They want to be noticed. To them it feels icky to be common or average (I mean, this is the core of E4). Tradition and related things sort of go counter to that by their nature.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hating things because it's tradition or common and that's the core reason why it is disliked is just idiotic. Talk about a completely baseless opinion. Though I admit I have a few of those opinions, and I suspect everyone does.

Sometimes people like to stand out. They want to be noticed. To them it feels icky to be common or average (I mean, this is the core of E4). Tradition and related things sort of go counter to that by their nature.
definetly, what I guess I'm referring to is the people who go out of their way to be different to the point of being fake. I guess there's also those who try to be exactly like society wants and ends up being fake as well. I guess what I don't like is fakeness.

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
People who claim to hate traditional lifestyles often feel restricted by the pressure to conform. It's not always trying really hard to be different; sometimes just being yourself is seen by other people as trying hard to be different.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some people want traditional culture destroyed because there's something about themselves that is rejected by that culture. They're lumping various aspects of traditional culture into one package, and rejecting all of it. Like, the opposite of what it is they hate is something they should love. My guess based on a few people I've known.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess there are hipsters that really make anti-conformism the aim itself, but I think most non-traditional people are merely trying to pursue what they want. Traditions tend to follow cultural ideals, which in turn tend to be narrow to a point that few human beings can realistically reflect them.

As far as your statements are concerned, I am traditionally in many of the ways you want to be. Does that make me traditional in general? When it comes to arguments of politics, I tend to loath the position of tradition every time.

You see, I have no problem with people being traditional because they incidentally want something that is considered traditional. I am disturbed by tradition being considered inherently valuable. I am disturbed by that idea that something which has always been done in memory ought to be continued. If someone builds their own life on that premise I question their path to happiness, and if someone tries to alter other peoples' lives to match that premise I consider them oppressors.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I guess there are hipsters that really make anti-conformism the aim itself, but I think most non-traditional people are merely trying to pursue what they want. Traditions tend to follow cultural ideals, which in turn tend to be narrow to a point that few human beings can realistically reflect them.

As far as your statements are concerned, I am traditionally in many of the ways you want to be. Does that make me traditional in general? When it comes to arguments of politics, I tend to loath the position of tradition every time.

You see, I have no problem with people being traditional because they incidentally want something that is considered traditional. I am disturbed by tradition being considered inherently valuable. I am disturbed by that idea that something which has always been done in memory ought to be continued. If someone builds their own life on that premise I question their path to happiness, and if someone tries to alter other peoples' lives to match that premise I consider them oppressors.

this it. this right here

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Liking things because they are traditional is just as idiotic. See below.

Exactly. One should do what makes most sense in one's individual circumstances. If it happens to coincide with tradition, so be it; same if it doesn't. The only time I do traditional things for their own sake is when I know that will please someone who is important to me. Even then, my goal is not being traditional, but rather making my parents or an elderly aunt comfortable and happy, and I won't do it if there are negative practical consequences.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i love tradition

after all, without our tradition our lifes would be as shaky as blender bottle on the roof

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably because it's seen as something divorced from reflection and independent thinking.

Sometimes I cringe when people tell me about their traditions. Partly because of the implied inflexibility and the freakout people can have when things deviate from their cherished tradition. But other times it's more of a juvenile and irrational despisal of tradition altogether. I wonder if it's related to inferior Si.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doing and thinking things just because it's a tradition is a fallacy. Argumentum ad antiquitatem. Look it up.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
tradition can be dangerous when it's adhered to without thoughtful consideration.

some traditions are fine, and even nice, but i'm a firm believer in choosing the tradition, and not letting it choose you.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
We live in a very reflexive, potsmodern world, where everything is meta, or a parody or a deconstruction of conventions. There is all kinds of writing out there that basically just pick random things we all tend to accept as true, and attempt to come to a counterintuive conclusion about (Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman, Freakanomics, Cracked.com). Even a lot of TV shows (especially cartoons) satirize the conventions of its medium (Simpsons, Family Guy, Community, etc). Traditions and conventions aren't very hip lately, we're a cynical, smart-alecky generation where everything is constantly changing, phones are obsolete by the end of the year, etc.

We'll probably see a comeback of sincerity and tradition soon though, The pendulum is bound to swing the other way.

I personally think traditions are okay, as long as you don't use them to justify thoughtless or inhumane behaviour. It's liek when those big College Sport hazing stories breaks and you hear a bunch of the players protest: but it's a tradition! We've always suffocated weasels by shoving them up freshmen's anuses, we can't stop now :( I think that attitude is harmful.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
But other times it's more of a juvenile and irrational despisal of tradition altogether. I wonder if it's related to inferior Si.

I believe it often is for NPs.

There are other reasons people behave this way as well (some valid, some not).

Certain types (and groupings) definitely seem to be more knee-jerk reaction against it, tho.

Doing and thinking things just because it's a tradition is a fallacy. Argumentum ad antiquitatem. Look it up.

If simply doing and thinking were appeals to the authority of tradition, then what you'd say would be correct.

As it stands, though, they are not.

We live in a very reflexive, potsmodern world, where everything is meta, or a parody or a deconstruction of conventions. There is all kinds of writing out there that basically just pick random things we all tend to accept as true, and attempt to come to a counterintuive conclusion about (Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman, Freakanomics, Cracked.com). Even a lot of TV shows (especially cartoons) satirize the conventions of its medium (Simpsons, Family Guy, Community, etc). Traditions and conventions aren't very hip lately, we're a cynical, smart-alecky generation where everything is constantly changing, phones are obsolete by the end of the year, etc.

We'll probably see a comeback of sincerity and tradition soon though, The pendulum is bound to swing the other way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The pendulum will swing back the other way, unmooring your self from traditional societal structures is fun until you want to do things like grow up and start a family.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Depends on how you spin it.

I don't hate the old-school American dream of owning a home. But I hate the 'new' tradition of owning a shitty house in the middle of suburbia. I hate all the strings and stupid things and debts attached to it all.

I don't say I.. necessarily hate the idea of tradition. But sometimes it just hurts and feels constraining. I almost feel guilty about not wanting children because traditional people in my family (i.e. everyone but me literally) want to see me 'happy' and they think that's impossible without children and a husband. But the idea of having children terrifies me, and the idea of a wedding is terrifying to me. Any way others spin it.. it's not me. "Oh, but you're strong! you've been to war! you can handle a BABY." No. No I cannot. War did not scare me nearly as much as dealing with a baby does. "You're a happy person, you'll bond with it and it'll be fine." History in my family has shown every woman except my sister has suffered from post-baby depression, and I feel exhausted emotionally and physically after only a few hours with children. They aren't monsters to me, I like them.. but the idea of ME having one, physically making it and carrying it and nurturing it, is what entirely draws me away from them. I literally have nightmares about babies and weddings, and wake up just as shaken as nightmares where I was being killed or eaten by.. i dunno, insert some horrid animal here. It's angering and frustrating and caging, because I'm constantly scared a guy will not want to be with me long term because I don't want children, or I'm scared that I won't be seen as a woman without these desires.. and frequently that is absolutely true, so my fears are well merited. :shrug: So yeah, I hate the idea, because it affects me personally via my personal relationships.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It's angering and frustrating and caging, because I'm constantly scared a guy will not want to be with me long term because I don't want children, or I'm scared that I won't be seen as a woman without these desires.. and frequently that is absolutely true, so my fears are well merited.

Most men want children, there's no getting around it.

Why hate that though?

Just find a guy that fits you. People can still have a hard time finding someone even if they do want kids.