• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people hate tradional thoughts and practices?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't hate tradition, I just hate that tradition is the vehicle that keeps many an irrelevant idea from just dyeing off and making room for new ways. I hate any attitude that tradition is unquestionable. But tradition itself can be good.

this is how I feel, but people think I'm saying tradition should be blindly followed, but I don't believe that. I believe in progress, but going against tradition can hinder progress just like blindly following it can as well

G

garbage

Wanting to shake things up because of the perception that things (or maybe one particular thing) ought to be shaken up for the good of us all. Wanting to rebel in order to establish one's own identity--defining the outside as "not me." Pick your poison.

Many traditions are just distilled wisdom--they're damn good ideas that have been propagated over time. Others, not so much.

So, if some good thing happens to be a tradition, I roll with that tradition. If another good thing is extremely nontraditional, I'll roll with it, too. Vice versa, too. Some nontraditional things are just bad ideas (it's not traditional to slice off one's own arms), and some traditions are bad and have stuck around for bad reasons.

I'm neutral with respect to tradition.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Wanting to shake things up because of the perception that things (or maybe one particular thing) ought to be shaken up for the good of us all. Wanting to rebel in order to establish one's own identity--defining the outside as "not me." Pick your poison.

Many traditions are just distilled wisdom--they're damn good ideas that have been propagated over time. Others, not so much.

So, if some good thing happens to be a tradition, I roll with that tradition. If another good thing is extremely nontraditional, I'll roll with it, too. Vice versa, too. Some nontraditional things are just bad ideas (it's not traditional to slice off one's own arms), and some traditions are bad and have stuck around for bad reasons.

exactly. I'm not articulate in writing. I feel like over half the stuff I say gets mis interpretted here, or people have shitty reading comprehension skills. I'll take both for 500

persephon-ee

MBTI Type
entp
"trying hard to be different" is often problematic

but, in my opinion, not as problematic as sticking to traditions, often.

I, personally, don't give a shit about tradition or stability or simplicity or family, but i have no problem with others feeling differently. a steady, middle class life is my worst fear, but i see the appeal for some people.

still, "tradition" is often used as an excuse to be bigoted and static, which is bad new bears.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
every single person in this thread missed my point.I'm talking about people who are different just to be different, no other reason

I know few people with that attitude in serious matters. Usually it's more of a struggle to assert personal preferences that are not in line with traditional norms, because people can't fathom it or weirdly feel threatened by it, as if you're judging them for being "traditional" by your choice not to be. In turn, they judge the non-traditional as rebellious or silly. And I think THAT may cause what looks like a defiant attitude towards tradition - the sense of being judged for going against it, because those who stick to it feel they're being "rejected", so they judge defensively also, etc. People are very "reactive" to each other in that way.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really like tradition.

But it's not like I don't like it just because I want to be different or something. That's stupid.

I just don't like blindly following what others have done in the past, without asking why.

If I like something, I like it, if I don't I don't. But it takes me quite a bit of time to figure out what I actually like.

Traditions are those customs and practices which are handed down from generation to generation. Yes, they will be different for different cultures, so what is traditional in one culture may not be in another. Traditions eventually change, and we can even make new traditions, but if you are doing something relatively uncommon in the past couple of generations, you are probably not following tradition. Still OK - just not traditional.

I don't hate tradition, I just hate that tradition is the vehicle that keeps many an irrelevant idea from just dyeing off and making room for new ways. I hate any attitude that tradition is unquestionable. But tradition itself can be good.

this is how I feel, but people think I'm saying tradition should be blindly followed, but I don't believe that. I believe in progress, but going against tradition can hinder progress just like blindly following it can as well

I know few people with that attitude in serious matters. Usually it's more of a struggle to assert personal preferences that are not in line with traditional norms, because people can't fathom it or weirdly feel threatened by it, as if you're judging them for being "traditional" by your choice not to be. In turn, they judge the non-traditional as rebellious or silly. And I think THAT may cause what looks like a defiant attitude towards tradition - the sense of being judged for going against it, because those who stick to it feel they're being "rejected", so they judge defensively also, etc. People are very "reactive" to each other in that way.
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION], [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION], [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], [MENTION=5578]garbage[/MENTION], [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] --

Here's a short quote on the subject...from 1905.

Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, “Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good–” At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.

rav3n

If the individual has deconstructed the traditional framework and still considers the tradition worth keeping, then all the power to them. But if they accept tradition blindly, then this points to a mindset that I have no respect for.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If the individual has deconstructed the traditional framework and still considers the tradition worth keeping, then all the power to them. But if they accept tradition blindly, then this points to a mindset that I have no respect for.

Yes. I'm talking about blindly following I'm talking about people going against a tradition and being anti it for no other reason than it's considered a tradition

rav3n

Yes. I'm talking about blindly following I'm talking about people going against a tradition and being anti it for no other reason than it's considered a tradition
I agree with this too. Some traditions have utility where the individual's needs will define utility or not.

This is my issue with ideologues and ideologies. No legs.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I agree with this too. Some traditions have utility where the individual's needs will define utility or not.

This is my issue with ideologues and ideologies. No legs.

So what I am getting at. Is it doesn't matter if you are or aren't traditional but as long as you have reflected on your choice and that it works for you.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a short quote on the subject...from 1905.

Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, “Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good–” At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.
Your point in sharing this with us???

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your point in sharing this with us???
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] --

Two points.

1) People have been having the discussion about following tradition since before the people on this thread were born. Don't think that's gonna change.
2) People who wish to go contrary to tradition may all have their own private reasons for seeking to overturn the tradition; it is often presented that blindly
clinging to a tradition can cause problems, but blindly defying or overturning traditions can cause its own problems...

Sunny Ghost

I guess there are hipsters that really make anti-conformism the aim itself, but I think most non-traditional people are merely trying to pursue what they want. Traditions tend to follow cultural ideals, which in turn tend to be narrow to a point that few human beings can realistically reflect them.

As far as your statements are concerned, I am traditionally in many of the ways you want to be. Does that make me traditional in general? When it comes to arguments of politics, I tend to loath the position of tradition every time.

You see, I have no problem with people being traditional because they incidentally want something that is considered traditional. I am disturbed by tradition being considered inherently valuable. I am disturbed by that idea that something which has always been done in memory ought to be continued. If someone builds their own life on that premise I question their path to happiness, and if someone tries to alter other peoples' lives to match that premise I consider them oppressors.
Seconded

Fluorescent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
HOT
Traditions are a man made social construct that's anything but static, dated norms that have outlived their usefulness get discarded.
So I don't see any valid reason to either hate or follow blindly all of them.

If we are talking about dangerous and potentially hindering practices, I'm all for eradicating them but America's upper middle class suburban dream isn't one of them (the majority of posters are probably murricans so let's use that as a reference). Hell, I doubt there are CIA agents ready to execute you on the spot if you don't go to church or choose to be a polyamorous songwriter and even the pearl clutching is blown out of proportion.
Pick your own traditions according to what suits your goals, nothing wrong with rejecting some norm that you find absolutely useless and laughable at best and nothing wrong with enjoying security and feeling more comfortable following a tried and true path. Not all laws are made equal.

Special snowflakery for the sake of being unique and a contrarian is a joke. And that's cool, I love jokes.
Nowadays everyone is so busy showing off how eclectic, edgy and culturally sophisticated they are, in a sea of infinity tattoos, pastel hair, bold haircuts and pseudo-sociological labels that an actual hipster is probably the guy who wears polos and khakis and works as an accountant.