• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you call this trait?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are we still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is her love language quality time?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't like the phone (not a rant, there's a comparison I'm gonna make to this, but have to state i don't like the phone to do so, so don't think I'm being rabble rabble rabble about it), but if I like someone, one of my favorite things to do, is sit in the same room with them and not speak. Just be with their essence. maybe it's like that?

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can relate to her a bit even though I'm introverted. I don't waste my energy on people I don't care much about, but if I care about someone a lot I like to talk to them a lot even at the expense of my own energy. I don't talk on the phone for long periods of time unless I reaaaally enjoy their company.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, it could be part and parcel to it. I'd think ExFx in particular, maybe ExFP even more in particular.

I totally admit, I like having people "around". I like hearing my boyfriend playing video games in the other room right now... I like when I'm at my parents' reading something at the table and my family is milling about doing their own things. It's really comforting for me to have people nearby, even though constant interaction with a lot of people can make me very tired. But intermittent interaction with people I am comfortable with is so soothing and pleasing to me. When I was living abroad, my family and I would Skype together for long periods sometimes. We'd talk directly for a while, then let the conversation wind down organically and just leave it up and running and talk occasionally as things arose. It made me really happy. Or I like just casually chatting via Facebook or text with a friend as I go about my daily tasks. For me it's just enjoying the company.

Qre:us

Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?

As an extrovert, this would grate on my nerves. I never understood how people (in romantic relationships) could fall asleep to each other, on the phone. My college roommate used to do that, and I would even be able to make out his snoring from over the line. Ridiculous!!

The few instances I would feel compelled to " not let go" is if something momentous was happening, like the person on the other end was dying or something.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I linger on the phone. But getting me on the phone in the first place is hard. I'm a focuser. If I'm doing something and then some one asks me to go somewhere else...I usually don't want to stop what im doing. But once im there, at the new place or doing the new activity, I become really focused on that. And then it's hard to get unfocused again :/

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is her love language quality time?

I don't know, but I've been told by someone close to me that it's mine. But, they are even more introverted than me. I think I agree though.

I don't like the phone (not a rant, there's a comparison I'm gonna make to this, but have to state i don't like the phone to do so, so don't think I'm being rabble rabble rabble about it), but if I like someone, one of my favorite things to do, is sit in the same room with them and not speak. Just be with their essence. maybe it's like that?

But you can SEE them.

I feel a strange sensation that I'm missing something here. :unsure:

R

Riva

My phone conversations last for 1 minute max.

I don't like having people around.

I'm an extrovert.

My ex girlfriends hate me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is she in love with you?

A

A window to the soul

ESFJ. God love 'em. Would give you the shirt off their back and chest pain.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As an extrovert, this would grate on my nerves. I never understood how people (in romantic relationships) could fall asleep to each other, on the phone. My college roommate used to do that, and I would even be able to make out his snoring from over the line. Ridiculous!!

The few instances I would feel compelled to " not let go" is if something momentous was happening, like the person on the other end was dying or something.

Im one of those fall asleep on phone/AIM people, so I have a hard time fathoming how this happens between platonic friends past seventh or eighth grade.

A

A window to the soul

If you've never sat on the phone for hours and listened to someone breathe, you're probably not IXFJ.

Love you Ame. :hug:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

I'd call that 'Weird'. :D

But honestly, I wouldn't call it extroversion as many people I know that are extroverts really hate phones (because it's not face to face). I don't have much experiences with such behaviour, but I'd think it's some form of insecurity. Insecurity as in being afraid left alone or being alone (socially).

If it really bothers you, you might wanna bring it up. Or drop it... but if it keeps bothering you every then and now, it will ruin your friendship.

Nicodemus

I think skylights hit the nail. For some reason, her post seems to have been ignored.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I just figured it out! SHE'S BORED! Duh.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think skylights hit the nail. For some reason, her post seems to have been ignored.

It wasn't ignored. I thought it was similar to prplchknz idea as well but you can see them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
But you can SEE them.

I feel a strange sensation that I'm missing something here. :unsure:

maybe she has a strong energy sense, that can feel your essence through the phone. As it's not so much about seeing them for me, but rather feeling their presescne

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe she has a strong energy sense, that can feel your essence through the phone. As it's not so much about seeing them for me, but rather feeling their presescne

Thanks. I'm thinking about this.