• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

if you ask for something and you get what you ask for

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
not in the spirit of birthdays or christmas, but like lets say you have a burritto and i want a bite, and i ask you for one, and you give me one, do I owe you?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do not think so. Everyone has the right to say yes or no as they please. But, it's useful to keep in mind that they did something kind for you, if they are ever in a position where they could benefit from your help.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
naw, but next time I ask you for something I'll probably say remember when I gave you some of my burrito? a little jokingly. I don't officially keep score, but I do pay attention to the general position of the scales.

(essentially what skylights said)

NeverGiveUp

MBTI Type
xNFJ
Enneagram
?
No, of course not. If I let you have some in the first place, it is because I like you. If you are my friend, you have already given me something in return. Things like that do not always need gifts in return........

Your picture! It's so colorful. I had to mention it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i forgot i made this thread. hmmmmm so i can ask for a yacht and they give it to me? I'm not obligated to give them a yacht

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate burritos with strings attached.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You owe me a bite of your enchilada. Tit for tat. Only so long as the meal is in progress. The end of the meal is the statute of limitations for food swapping. It starts fresh with the next meal.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Give And Take: How The Rule Of Reciprocation Binds Us

"We are obligated to give back to others, the form of behavior that they have first given to us," he says. "Essentially thou shall not take without giving in return."

And so if someone passes you in the hall and says hello, you feel compelled to return their greeting. When you don't, you notice it, it makes you uncomfortable, out of balance. That's the rule of reciprocation.

When a Hare Krishna gives you a flower at the airport, you're the one who's supposed to feel obligated (which is the intent), not the Hare Krishna. If you don't feel obligated, I see nothing wrong with that either. It's just a form of conditioning that inflicts most members of society. Glad you're able to escape it.