• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people afraid to ask for things?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
hmm, i'm often afraid to ask for things.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
only if they look like they're going to kill me or in a bad mood i am

really? i rarely ever ask anyone else for anything unless i really trust them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
really? i rarely ever ask anyone else for anything unless i really trust them.

yeah, people are usually nicer than people say. I've gotten rides from strangers, and only once did one try to solicit me

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm usually afraid to ask others for anything because: 1) I don't want to be a burden on other people, and 2) I'm afraid of being looked down upon in a condescending manner.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm usually afraid to ask others for anything because: 1) I don't want to be a burden on other people, and 2) I'm afraid of being looked down upon in a condescending manner.

1.) if they feel as though you're a burden, that's their fault for not saying no 2.) if the person is condescending, why are you asking them in the first place?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1.) if they feel as though you're a burden, that's their fault for not saying no 2.) if the person is condescending, why are you asking them in the first place?

Yeah, I suppose both are true. :)

I'll just have to keep reminding myself that's it's okay to ask if I really do need something, without feeling that I'm being selfish or whatnot.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Nah, I didn't say that; I just listed potential reasons why someone would be dissuaded from asking for help.

Oh, this thread is making me feel guilty for having no problems with asking for things. I probably shouldn't have made it

G

garbage

Oh, this thread is making me feel guilty for having no problems with asking for things. I probably shouldn't have made it
Nah, many of the things I listed are unhealthy motivations for not wanting to ask for things. Getting over those gives you room to ask for what you need. It's not a weakness.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Nah, many of the things I listed are unhealthy motivations for not wanting to ask for things. Getting over those gives you room to ask for what you need. It's not a weakness.

so I'm better than everyone else? I like you

G

garbage

so I'm better than everyone else? I like you
Pretty much.

I've gotta say that I'm personally inclined not to ask for help. Some reasons are legit, some out of fear; I should work to overcome the latter.

My sister, on the other hand, is irresponsible and has a huge need to be coddled. That's bad news.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Pretty much.

I've gotta say that I'm personally inclined not to ask for help. Some reasons are legit, some out of fear; I should work to overcome the latter.

My sister, on the other hand, is irresponsible and has a huge need to be coddled. That's bad news.
I don't ask for everything, like i don't ask for things that would put others in a bad situation, and it's not constant only when I really want/need something.

Mole

Permabanned

I like to be coddled and I like to coddle, like two coddled eggs, together.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so yesterday I was looking for a cardigan or something to put over a sleeveless dress, and I went into the store, and a person who works their asked if I was looking for anything. And I was like yes, and explained what I was looking for. I also showed her the dress. Now the way I see it is I want to be in and out of the store quick as possible. So if I know what I'm looking for, I am going to ask for help. It's their job to do so, and plus she offered. if she didn't want to then she shouldn't have offered. I don't get why more people don't utilize this. Now I get when you don't know what you want that's different. Of course I'll get a definite idea of what I want in my head. And people have told me that might be too specific,because I'll be like I want this style this pattern this length, ect. oh and i want a sweater that looks exactly like this to go with it. and many times it's too specific that i end up settling on something similar, but not exactly