• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

everyone is brainwashed by the media

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i think everyone wants to think they're out of grasps of brainwashing by the media, but the only ones who aren't are the ones living in caves with no internet or connection to the outside world, the ones in isolation. you can delude yourself into thinking you aren't influenced one way or another, but you're not they use sublimination they feed into our subconscious. Everyone wants to believe they're smarter than the rest of the world, but we're not we're all just average. and average is good. I except that I get influenced more than I'd like by the media. I have no way to escape, I'm forced to interact with the world, even if I didn't use internet and tv I'd still see ads on billboards and busses. The media is too big to take down, and even if we did something else would pop up in its place. Which means there's nothing we can do. so we just accept that we're getting brainwashed little by little for corporations, for politics, for everything.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A professor of mine, he's old enough to be the senior of MANY of the professors teaching here, says that he doesn't use the computer, doesn't have a T.V. and all those "fancy" technology things. He has a phone at the behest that he is getting old and that it is a good way to communicate with people when the time arises, but that is about it. If you want him, you have to do it the old(er) fashion way by calling him during his office hours or by person.

Students laugh at him for it because people think that he has a strong phobia for the media and having time sucked into technology. But what he makes up for it is pure dedication to his teaching, as well as pure dedication in reading.

Sidetracking: A few justices follow the same strict rule, they do not have any television to watch, no computers, maybe a regular cellphone that isn't fancy (only for calling), and that newspapers will not be sent to him/her, and that is about it. The reason being is that for every technology that allows for communicating, the more there is to the idea of being affected by it. So as a way to be as impartial as can be without being influenced, they shut out most communications.

On top of the surface, PR, Ads, and Propaganda are different, but below the surface, they are very similar... they are there to influence you in some way.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think when I go back to school I'm gonna take a course about how the media influences us. I think it be a cool course to take. Of course I can use google for now.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think when I go back to school I'm gonna take a course about how the media influences us. I think it be a cool course to take. Of course I can use google for now.

If you do, communications is a good major to get into if that is what you are interested in.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm interested in every facet of society, culture, and human nature. Not just media

Communications isn't just media. It is everything from the way we use language to the images we put out to others to see.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
Most news station present a certain bias, doesn't take a genius to see that really. Watch a youtube news about the same event from 1. cnn/fox 2. russia today 3. Al-Jazeera english. If after that you still don't question information you get from one source than it means that you just plain dumb, not brainwashed. So I disagree with you, if you don't want to be brainwashed just stop being lazy. Nowadays I barely follow any news, but when I occasionally watch them im aware of biases of respective sources.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I do think we are influenced by the media...sometimes too heavily. I also think that nobody is immune to being at least a little bit influenced by it. I will admit when I was a teenager I was brainwashed by the size zero culture, even though there was a big thing about it being wrong and size zero models should be banned...yet celebrities were getting criticised for being anything less than perfect and think seemed to equal perfect.

A less serious example, I see it on TV shows where the public get to vote (The Voice etc). It's always skewed in a way to manipulate the viewer in to liking certain acts better than others. At first I bought into this and would feel empathy for whatever contestant I was manipulated into feeling empathy for etc but because there have been so many of these types of shows I've started to realise what they're doing. Sometimes it's painfully obvious now in the way they edit things.

I'm almost always on the net. If I'm not on my laptop I'm browsing on my phone. I'm sure that's influenced me in many ways but I can't think of any examples atm. I get a lot of my news sources from the net so I suppose that influences my opinion on certain topics etc.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
influenced =/= brainwashed
In my opininon we are influenced by all people we encounter and all events we expierence. That includes media.
But to go as far as to say all people are brainwashed by media is over the top. Some people are, but they
are a minority.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Most news station present a certain bias, doesn't take a genius to see that really. Watch a youtube news about the same event from 1. cnn/fox 2. russia today 3. Al-Jazeera english. If after that you still don't question information you get from one source than it means that you just plain dumb, not brainwashed. So I disagree with you, if you don't want to be brainwashed just stop being lazy. Nowadays I barely follow any news, but when I occasionally watch them im aware of biases of respective sources.

it's subtle that's why people don't realize it. and when they get told that's what's happening. they go oh no, not me, I'm above it. But you do realize you can google things and even google can put things up that will influence you to think certain things. Companies pay google huge amounts of money to have their sites pop up in the first 2 pages. so really you're not gonna get an honest source until you reach the 4th or 5th page and even then that's questionable. So really you have to go to the library, and no one goes to the library anymore, we're all dependent on google

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In order to maintain objectivity, the type 5 doesn't want to be influenced by the outside world.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
it's subtle that's why people don't realize it. and when they get told that's what's happening. they go oh no, not me, I'm above it. But you do realize you can google things and even google can put things up that will influence you to think certain things. Companies pay google huge amounts of money to have their sites pop up in the first 2 pages. so really you're not gonna get an honest source until you reach the 4th or 5th page and even then that's questionable. So really you have to go to the library, and no one goes to the library anymore, we're all dependent on google

I am aware of that, you can position yourself in browsers if you pay money, just like with any commercial. But it's not only way you position yourself on google. You can be on page one, if you have readable content, hits and well optimized website for search engines. You can even learn to do that yourself. It's doable.

I found this very website via google search. I doubt it owners paid loads of cash to be on the first page of google search.
Is it an honest source? I kinda of depends wheter you guys create good content without hidden agenda ;)

Any can put up content on the web so it's up to you to judge it's honesty. Usually you can tell wheter someone is expressing their views or try to sell you something. Good point about reading books though. But books or even scientific publications may also hold a bias, remember that.

I thing I found interesting watching pro-US media and Russia Today(watching events like Iraq qar/Syria war), is that often they are both telling the truth. But only a fraction of it, making your vision of the big picture skewed, it's also something to remember. Sometimes they are imo purposfully emitting rumours or not verified infromantion only because they fit their agenda(for example use of chemical weapons by Syrian Military - "a fact" which i am very skeptical about).

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
Most sources/people on the web are not media outlets/companies/ngos.

I am not above media influence, I am above brainwashing I am not willing to accept overheard convictions without scrutiny.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
everyone thinks they're above brainwashing. just like everyone thinks they're smart. it's a fact of life

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
some people are indeed smart, so they are right thinking that

Additionally same could apply to your statement. You think you are right, yet you may be and in my opinion are wrong.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Additionally same could apply to your statement. You think you are right, yet you may be and in my opinion are wrong.

I didn't say some people weren't smart. I said everyone thinks they're smart which not everyone is smart, therefore some of them must be stupid.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I didn't say some people weren't smart. I said everyone thinks they're smart which not everyone is smart, therefore some of them must be stupid.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
Agreed, and I agree some people are influenced to the degree they are brainwashed. Title suggest however that everyone is, a notion I find little evidence to agree with. I agree everyone is influenced, brainwashed no.