• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do completely unhealthy people really believe they're unhealthy?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Like people who say they are, are the actually semi-healthy and someone has brainwashed them into thinking they're unhealthy? but really they're just normal and everyone else is the same, but hides it better? and eventually reach the point where they realize, that people don't know what they're talking about. but the insecure people who want to fit into society believe the lies and go to therapy?

Cygnus

Much Madness is divinest Sense --
To a discerning Eye --
Much Sense -- the starkest Madness --
'Tis the Majority
In this, as All, prevail --
Assent -- and you are sane --
Demur -- you're straightway dangerous --
And handled with a Chain --

--Emily Dickinson
a

á´…eparted

passages
Yes.

2.5 years ago it was recommended I try group therapy (I have learned that it's completely unhelpful for me, but that's another story). One girl there came in, thinking and believing she was an unhealthy unfunctional mess. She was, in fact, an unhealthy unfunctional mess.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Will always depend on the person and their own self insight and drive to grow, self-monitor, seek out help/information, and overcome.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Like people who say they are, are the actually semi-healthy and someone has brainwashed them into thinking they're unhealthy? but really they're just normal and everyone else is the same, but hides it better? and eventually reach the point where they realize, that people don't know what they're talking about. but the insecure people who want to fit into society believe the lies and go to therapy?

Well, having known a couple really unhealthy people, I can say with certainty that they didn't think they were unhealthy at all.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
An unhealthy person is unaware or in denial about it. If they are slightly healthier they would know about it. A very healthy person wouldn't be deceived and know they are in a good place. Because what you're talking about is self-assurance, insecurity/security, being in harmony which is all the crux of being healthy or not.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It really depends on the person. People with personality disorders are often convinced that all of their problems are external and beyond their control.

But, most of the people I know who are a total and complete mess are well aware of it.

L

LadyLazarus

It really depends on how self aware and proud an individual is.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can think of two people on the forum who are unhealthy but don't realize it

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it varies.

The first step to treatment is accepting you have a problem - this certainly implies that at first people "deny" the problem. So in a sense, denial is extremely common for unhealthy individuals for whatever reason it may be. Forward, it can vary whether or not when you meet them that they have accepted it.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I think it varies, and depends on what level of unwell we talkin . Like a person with anxiety that is first experiencing may not understand what is happening but knows they are feeling physical symptoms of a problem , heart palpitations , a feeling to want to run away, issues swallowing etc. flight fight shit.

a person who has gone entirely off a deep end , i would say may have loss the capabilities to determine what is real or not / healthy or not..

The state of someone's mental health is a spectrum we all know that, and the deterioration of such state can be catapulted by a traumatic experience or gradual due to physical or mental stressors.

Bacopa

MBTI Type
intj
Sometimes they do, but probably the worst ones are those who don't even realize they have a problem

Mole

Permabanned
We know those suffering from schizophrenia have delusions of thought, but are emotionally in touch with reality, while those of us suffering from clinical depression have delusions of emotion, while remaining in touch with reality in our thoughts.

And what is amazing, that is almost universal amongst those of us suffering from clinical depression, is to deny we are deluded emotionally.

Lark

We know those suffering from schizophrenia have delusions of thought, but are emotionally in touch with reality, while those of us suffering from clinical depression have delusions of emotion, while remaining in touch with reality in our thoughts.

And what is amazing, that is almost universal amongst those of us suffering from clinical depression, is to deny we are deluded emotionally.

Mole who told you any of this?

I'm being serious as if you were told any of this by a professional you need to seek a second opinion. If its just your opinion again then that's fine but this is not and can not for a moment be considered medical opinion in relation to schizophrenia, depression, clinical depression, delusion or psychosis.