• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why does everyone want to be a psycopath?

W

WhoCares

?..but peer-pressure and in-group-out-group socializing based on a very non-psychopathic need for emotional connections is probably more likely to trigger psychopathic behavior in most people than a violent fantasy life..

I concur, being amoungst it all really makes me want to stab some people with an ice pick. I'd be better off torturing plasticene men in my basement.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I concur, being amoungst it all really makes me want to stab some people with an ice pick. I'd be better off torturing plasticene men in my basement.

I always wanted a room at the office with a piñata for "relax time" instead of a coffee break.

Cygnus

seriously. what's so great about it?

Because society is so Vulcan, it's considered better to have no emotions at all an have a free pass to kill people than it is to feel too much and get nothing done.

This, of course, is a lie.

L

LadyLazarus

I suppose it would be getting to strangle all the ass hats you really want to strangle without a care in the world for the consequences.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Easy: Think of how much easier it would be to live your life. Feelings get in the way of stuff. A lot. When that doesn't matter, the world is your oyster ripe for the taking.
^ This. It would be so freeing.

So no one, actually wants to be a psychopath?
As cool as it would be, it isn't even on my top fifty list of Impossible Things That Would Rock. For one, it doesn't link directly to any of my goals, although it would eliminate a lot of my insecurities. (Can't count the number of times I've cursed my self-sabotaging need to be liked!)

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Would it even be worthwhile to be alive if you didn't feel anything? If you didn't feel, what would be your motivation to do anything?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Would it even be worthwhile to be alive if you didn't feel anything? If you didn't feel, what would be your motivation to do anything?

Hmm... need, maybe? I think stripped of emotions basic human needs persist. Psychopaths may have no empathy or ascribe no value to others' lives, but self-preserving instincts run deep, and it may be because of these that they develop psychopathic tendencies in the first place. We all do what we must in one way or another. Just because your psyche has been irreparably damaged you won't necessarily see death as more appealing than life.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As cool as it would be, it isn't even on my top fifty list of Impossible Things That Would Rock. For one, it doesn't link directly to any of my goals, although it would eliminate a lot of my insecurities. (Can't count the number of times I've cursed my self-sabotaging need to be liked!)
Is this really that central a part of your personality? That is surprising for Te-dom. Do you think it is more enneagram-related? Not everyone who doesn't feel that way is a psychopath (i.e. psychopathy is not the only alternative).

Accomplishment? Seeing whether you could get something done, change something, build something, etc. Without feeling, there are still goals, and the knowledge of how things work and what it takes to get things done.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I roll my eyes at this. I see nothing great about it.

G

Ginkgo

In some ways, pure capitalism is psychopathy incarnate. It molds people to be calculating and self-interested, and is molded by people in-turn.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this really that central a part of your personality? That is surprising for Te-dom. Do you think it is more enneagram-related? Not everyone who doesn't feel that way is a psychopath (i.e. psychopathy is not the only alternative).
I'm not sure if I'm the right person to say how central it is, but of all my flaws, this one bothers me the most. Also -- and I unwisely decided not to edit the post to clarify -- "need to be liked" is not the most accurate way to describe it. It would be best described as "need to be respected"+"need to not be disliked for my flaws and mistakes". If people dislike me for a reason that isn't legitimate, it's annoying but ultimately not a big deal. Whereas when people dislike me for a mistake I made or a personality flaw...

(Clearly this is more 1w2, and 3 trifix, than it is ESTJ. :laugh:)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if I'm the right person to say how central it is, but of all my flaws, this one bothers me the most. Also -- and I unwisely decided not to edit the post to clarify -- "need to be liked" is not the most accurate way to describe it. It would be best described as "need to be respected"+"need to not be disliked for my flaws and mistakes". If people dislike me for a reason that isn't legitimate, it's annoying but ultimately not a big deal. Whereas when people dislike me for a mistake I made or a personality flaw...

(Clearly this is more 1w2, and 3 trifix, than it is ESTJ. :laugh:)
Interesting. I am just the opposite. If someone dislikes me for a real flaw or personal quality, I consider it legitimate in that it is simply their preference. If they dislike me due to a misunderstanding, or something that isn't true about me, it really bothers me since it isn't accurate. To paraphrase a really old quote from Capt Picard: "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Interesting. I am just the opposite. If someone dislikes me for a real flaw or personal quality, I consider it legitimate in that it is simply their preference. If they dislike me due to a misunderstanding, or something that isn't true about me, it really bothers me since it isn't accurate. To paraphrase a really old quote from Capt Picard: "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."

I'm like this too.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Concur.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I find that people are usually fascinated by the idea of the psychopath and how its portrayed through media. I don't think anyone would actually want to be one.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This ...

I find that people are usually fascinated by the idea of the psychopath and how its portrayed through media. I don't think anyone would actually want to be one.

mostly.

There are some contributing factors too, like the addition of new and pretty flawed research about the numbers of people in society presenting with some psychopathic tendancies... leading to some rather large overestimations in the number of psychopths we actually have.

Leading to a media frenzy on the portrayal of 'cool' psychopaths and sociopaths. I doubt many of these people are content. Imagine leading a life where you main thoughts were occupied with negative thoughts such as envy and greed. That sounds more like a living hell than heaven to me.

I have seen no evidence of contentment or happiness among them. Ofc I could be wrong. We could take the example of Sherlock in the bbc series and argue that his intelligence leads him to sociopathy, infact i suppose on some level we could argue that a large portion of very intelligent/intellectual folk have symptoms of sociopathy as they are much more (often) consumed with matters of intellect than people. We could even argue that T types are more prone to sociopathy and F types to psychopathy.

I often think those that actively pursue the idea of psychopathy/sociopathy as attractive are those who have been through traumatic or extremely upsetting experiences concerning trust in others... e.g abused/neglected. Though those are also some of the highest groups testing as psychopathic/sociopathic. It can be environmental as well as genetic I believe.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This ...

mostly.

There are some contributing factors too, like the addition of new and pretty flawed research about the numbers of people in society presenting with some psychopathic tendancies... leading to some rather large overestimations in the number of psychopths we actually have.

Leading to a media frenzy on the portrayal of 'cool' psychopaths and sociopaths. I doubt many of these people are content. Imagine leading a life where you main thoughts were occupied with negative thoughts such as envy and greed. That sounds more like a living hell than heaven to me.

I have seen no evidence of contentment or happiness among them. Ofc I could be wrong. We could take the example of Sherlock in the bbc series and argue that his intelligence leads him to sociopathy, infact i suppose on some level we could argue that a large portion of very intelligent/intellectual folk have symptoms of sociopathy as they are much more (often) consumed with matters of intellect than people. We could even argue that T types are more prone to sociopathy and F types to psychopathy.

I often think those that actively pursue the idea of psychopathy/sociopathy as attractive are those who have been through traumatic or extremely upsetting experiences concerning trust in others... e.g abused/neglected. Though those are also some of the highest groups testing as psychopathic/sociopathic. It can be environmental as well as genetic I believe.

The motivations still narrow down to the idea of being a psychopath. Out of all mental illnesses, look at how much emphasis is portrayed in psycho/sociopathy in the media. Media influences an individual either consciously or unconsciously. Whether they realize it or not, it still has some kind of effect. I would not be surprised if the people wanting to be psychopaths already possess some features of psycho/sociopathy.

The lifestyle is thrilling. You're liberated from the human condition. Emotions are discarded, no one can hurt you.

We live in a finite world. We are stranded in cosmic dust. If an individual is already feeling alien to the world and to society, psycho/sociopathy would at least confirm and give them a position and group they can belong to in a society.

I do agree with you though. T over F's for psycho/sociopathy.