• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think why people get multiple dxs is

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because doctors are like there's something wrong with you, but I don't know what. Here have five diagnoses, happy birthday.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's try every medication there is. Something must work, right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Let's try every medication there is. Something must work, right?

exactly i see people on like 8 meds for 4-5 different mental conditions. and I take 2 for one condition.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
exactly i see people on like 8 meds for 4-5 different mental conditions. and I take 2 for one condition.
I take one for every problem I have, at the moment atleast.

... but I can't say if they all work yet.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I take one for every problem I have, at the moment atleast.

... but I can't say if they all work yet.

I don't know how old you are, but in my generation it's cool to be crazy. it makes no sense, when all i want is to be able to hold a job and be a responsible adult (2 things i have trouble with)

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
because we don't know everything about everything yet. so system is still imperfect.

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really think it's a money making scheme.

yeah... or incompetence on the part of the docs... or our deficient technology... many factors at play. :unsure:
since i'm in the med field. i would say... it's a little bit of everything. docs are only given a few options on how to treat patients (which themselves are not fine-tuned yet)... a lot of them also... aren't very resourceful from what I've seen. with technology, there are still tons of medical innovations and discoveries that need to be made. and finally, with money... sigh... some people just like to take advantage when presented the chance. it's reproachable... but 'tis what they call... human nature.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah... or incompetence on the part of the docs... or our deficient technology... many factors at play. :unsure:
since i'm in the med field. i would say... it's a little bit of everything. docs are only given a few options on how to treat patients (which themselves are not fine-tuned yet)... a lot of them also... aren't very resourceful from what I've seen. with technology, there are still tons of medical innovations and discoveries that need to be made. and finally, with money... sigh... some people just like to take advantage when presented the chance. it's reproachable... but 'tis what they call... human nature.
what do you do? both of my parents are in the medical field

I don't have lots of experience with physical health (because never really had problems with that, or if i have i didn't go to the doctor, because i don't need to be told to quit smoking,eat better, and exercise more which the second two i'm trying to do now) but i was refering more to mental health.

á´…eparted

passages
I really think it's a money making scheme.

It's not. Profit does drive the pharmaceutial industry, but it's not a scheme by any means. The repercussions from something that fails is vast, so they must be extremely careful on what ends up on the market. Even something as wildly successful as statin drugs have come under new scrutiny very recently. This is not to say that pharmaceutical companies have exploited studies to gain a product, but it's not a systemic problem. A major failure with this can ruin a company completely.

I'm working on a PhD in organic chemistry, so I am pretty aware of what goes on in this area. I'd say there is a 50:50 shot I'll end up in the pharmaceutical industry. I'd rather not, but I'd make myself happy if I do. I've met several scientists who work in the field and listened to a number of talks from them. By and large, profit is needed to fund the industry itself, not to line the pockets of CEO's to the level that many would think. Simply put; science is freaking expensive. Chemicals cost a lot of money. Luckily, the return for a product is usually vast; pretty much every science is like that. Pharmaceuticals gets targeted for that reason. The massive profit they make, combined with the extremely negative press from something failed makes them seem quite evil, akin to a dirty wall street bank.

As far as psychiatric drugs, the nature of them is due to our limited understanding of how the brain actually works. One of the hopes of the BRAIN inititavie is to give a better understanding of how to address mental disorder. Currently, our understanding of psychiatric medications is mostly a series of observed connections. A drug effects levels of a neurotransmitter en masse by binding to a receptor that controls it. This is done broad across all regions where these receptors are present. Because genetics control how these are expressed, and in what quantity, it's sort of a crap shoot on figuring out what exactly will work. It's unfortunate, but medications have to be tried most of the time to find out what works, and even then some might not even work, or make things far worse. As of now it's all we got. This is why psychiatrist can seem really pill pushy. They aren't doing it to make a profit, they're doing it to solve a problem, and this is how it has to be done sadly.

If you have any questions in regard to this sort of stuff feel free to ask.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dunno, we have a lot of docs in the family and I think that while they enjoy interesting and complex cases, their desire to see people be able to live healthy and fulfilling lives is very strong, and to be able to successfully solve the problem and help the person is the most pleasing. But diagnoses are logical and theoretical, and people are messy and complicated. So they label what they can and treat the best way they know how. There are some corrupt docs out there who order way more tests than necessary (or more expensive tests than necessary) but for the most part I don't think they're trying to screw anyone's lives over. They could be in more lucrative fields if that's really what they want.

At least personally I am far more wary of business and politics than the scientist-practitioner side of things. Scientists' drives typically run along the lines of discovery of knowledge, problem solving, and recognition, while doctors' drives usually also encompass discovery of knowledge, problem solving, and probably at worst status and titles. I'm more concerned about people who tend to seek money, power, and political influence, because they're more motivated to harm individuals.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok I've thought more about this and here's my conclusion. I think it's the drug companies and society's fault for saying oh you're sad? must be depression here have a pill! now I'm not saying depression doesn't exist but sometimes life sucks a lot. And so they convince doctors that everyone has a mental illness so the people can be drugged and they make money. So basically the doctors do have our best interests in mind, but the drug companies are money grubbing assholes.

look.sky.ward

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what do you do? both of my parents are in the medical field

I don't have lots of experience with physical health (because never really had problems with that, or if i have i didn't go to the doctor, because i don't need to be told to quit smoking,eat better, and exercise more which the second two i'm trying to do now) but i was refering more to mental health.

Yeah. I meant mental health as well. Each individual may respond uniquely to different medications. The dosages would be adjusted too, depending on the response. Sometimes they use several kinds of medications to achieve the therapeutic effect they want with less side effects. Like I said... we haven't completely figured out how these things work yet. We don't know why this patient responds to a certain treatment and not to another. Etc. So it's a mixture of different things and just trying out treatments that have been proven to work before. The skills of the physician and the available technology are just two elements in the processes that affect how patients are treated. I don't think the industry is inherently evil. It's just how things work in a capitalist society.

Calliope

Enneagram
9w1
No one knows how the drugs for mental conditions work, all we know is that they work (for some people).

I think that doctors are so prescription happy so that if something works then they look like a genius.
Also, there is a large amount of "lobbying" that pharmaceutical companies do with doctors to make them more likely to prescribe their new medicine.

So I would say the main thing is money and the second is just that we still don't have a clear understanding of how any of this works.

G

garbage

*leans back in chair* "Uhm... ... uhhhh.. ...... psshh... pfff.. .. schizophrenia? :shrug:"

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
*leans back in chair* "Uhm... ... uhhhh.. ...... psshh... pfff.. .. schizophrenia? :shrug:"

took me 3 times to hit this thread anyways. you're diagnosing this thread? so you can make money for the drugs, because you have the insides for a pharmaceutical company?

G

garbage

took me 3 times to hit this thread anyways. you're diagnosing this thread? so you can make money for the drugs, because you have the insides for a pharmaceutical company?
Now that's just paranoid. I do have a solution for that paranoia, though. This thread should try some ParanoiAway™Ⓒ. As an expert physician, I saw great results from this product in a controlled study. My patients love it, too!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Now that's just paranoid. I do have a solution for that paranoia, though. This thread should try some ParanoiAway™Ⓒ. As an expert physician, I saw great results from this product in a controlled study. My patients love it, too!

money grubber