• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

question for people with autism

How were you diagnosed?

• Professional

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • self/friends/family

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Doctors told my family that I probably had it, and so I got stuck in a preschool for lil' kids with all sorts of mental problems.

Doctors weren't very good back then. Turned out that I didn't have autism, of course. Still, I had the label before it was cool.

me too, except not because of autism.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was 13, they said I wouldn't finish high school and that I would sweep floors for a living. If any thing.

I showed them. Haha!
:phantom:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
When I was a kid like really young I didn't interact with people, my mom said when I was little I would stare at people like I was studying them, but I loved being held I insisted my mom carried me everywhere until I was 7 I was tiny. Finally my mom said that she wouldn't do that anymore. I was terrible at making eye contact it's hard to find a pic of me under 8 where I'm actually looking at the camera. I didn't talk til I was 2.5 and didn't walk til around that time. I wouldn't communicate ny talking I would just point. I didn't really get how to act socially, I've always been behind my peers in that. I would watch the wizard of oz on repeat everyday from 4 until I started first grade though I think stuff like that would be true for a neurotypical.my dad watched dr who every week and I would sit there and stare at the tv the whole episode.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Within a 10 year span children on the spectrum went from 1 in 1500 to 1 in 150. What better time than to expand the label? If I say to you to take 10 different supplements to relieve some symptoms. why not try them all at once so we can see which ones work?! :D yeah! so why not see what or who should be held accountable for the increase in this genetic predisposition to be sensitive to environmental insult resulting in the multifaceted disorder on the spectrum ... isn't that super?! So, we know the numbers went up exponentially so why not expand the label insanely ambiguously to promote acceptance and then isolate all those it effects to the point of not being able to acclimate within society. that's it! Why not .. we spend all our energy show casing all the really high functioning children and adults, make is "chic" and trendy and make some money off of it! yeah! then we can make more job openings to help with the large amount of children who have this condition. And then, when our nation starts to recover from the baby boomers eating up the economy, we can then funnel it to support all the disabled adults with no where to live because we decided to cut some corners every year from the elderly and disabled. ya know, they won't miss it! because we shadow them with the trendy autism speaker faces of bullshit we tromp about on mtv. isn't that clever and smart ?! :D omg. humans are so smart. we should all fan ourselves for how awesome we are and buy more stuff.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Everybody is on the spectrum nowadays. Quite ridiculous really.

As [MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION] mentioned, the functions explains way more. So many ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs with some INFPs on the list get diagnosed as PPD-NOS/Aspergers... which makes me think the whole thing is fishy.

Every ExTx can be diagnosed with Narcissistic personality disorder.
Every ExxP with ADHD
Every IxFx with Social Anxiety
Every IxTx with Psychopathy
Every ExFx with Exhibitionism

Its all BS

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wasn't ever DXed with social anxiety. Bipolar, ADHD, maybe OCD, but not social anxiety.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
My psychiatrist determined that I most likely have what was then known as Aspergers Syndrome during therapy for OCD.

Explains a lot about my childhood, but its among the least of my problems as an adult with severe OCD.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Honestly, I know that my opinion is probly totally wrong, and that no one careswhat i think, but unless your condition is disabling you, or affecting those around you, you should avoid labels as much as possible. Be the best person you can be. You or your dads might be weird and really akward, hell, im pretty akward at times myself, but think of all the people that are painfully ignorant, mentally abusive to others, are utterly parasitic to society and have no notion that they are doing anything wrong what so ever.

Really, If you are looking into this because you think it might help improve the life of people around you, good. But dont worry about petty conditions like this if someone is doing okay. Just help them like you would any other friend in a tough situation, but the worst thing that you can do is look at them differently or label them. Thats just the worst possible thing. Im sorry, but thats MO.

:soapbox:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
With autistics, it can help to be aware of their sensory stuff. Like they might not want a hug or to try new foods or a loud, enthusiastic greeting. You may need to tell them things in a more literal and/or clear way than you would a neurotypical. Unless you've had your kid climb up your body like a wet cat because of a totally normal (but loud or high pitched) noise or refuse to enter a room (and showing real terror) because it has a high ceiling, etc it can be a little hard to get your head around.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I tend to agree, collierm48. I think labels can be helpful if people need help- as I've mentioned in similar threads before, my son has been dx'ed with autism, and the label helps him because he gets services through school because of it and they've been very good for him. But we don't really focus on it much on a day-to-day basis- it's just a different way some people's brains work, and requires some tweaks to how we do things, but other than that, he's just himself. During the process of getting him diagnosed the psychiatrists said that my husband is probably also on the spectrum, but like [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] says, he has a good job and a family and there would be no benefit to seeking that label officially. It wouldn't do anything for him at this point. But for those who are struggling, maybe it would help to have some insight into what they could be doing differently.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
With autistics, it can help to be aware of their sensory stuff. Like they might not want a hug or to try new foods or a loud, enthusiastic greeting. You may need to tell them things in a more literal and/or clear way than you would a neurotypical. Unless you've had your kid climb up your body like a wet cat because of a totally normal (but loud or high pitched) noise or refuse to enter a room (and showing real terror) because it has a high ceiling, etc it can be a little hard to get your head around.

That's a good point, too. Basically it's a different wiring in the brain and it can be helpful to know that, whether you're the person with autism (so you know yourself better and can build in safety nets for yourself) or you love someone with autism (so you know what to expect and how to interface).

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Thats a good point. Idk if that was addressed to me, but based on what you said, my post sounds dumb. Lol. I would be very concerned if that was my kid.

Idk, I just get the impression that there are some cases where its not as bad as people make it out to be. Im sure im wrong. Either way, I just wanted to put it out there. I say the stuff that I say so that I can learn why Im wrong.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I doubt I have autism, I just tend to be extremely literal and at times it puts the delusion in well maybe. But I don't, I'm just silly.

I was told to stop being literal after this guy said
"it would suck to be a giraffe with a sore throat"
and i went "yeah because your neck would be over half your body, and pain spread out that much would suck"
"You delved to deep into that, it was a joke"

I don't get the joke.

I can figure out metaphors and stuff like that, I'm just slow in doing so. First thing my mind goes to is the literal interpretation and so many times people have told me it's a joke or that's not what that means. I have gotten better at spotting sarcasm though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Thats a good point. Idk if that was addressed to me, but based on what you said, my post sounds dumb. Lol. I would be very concerned if that was my kid.

Idk, I just get the impression that there are some cases where its not as bad as people make it out to be. Im sure im wrong. Either way, I just wanted to put it out there. I say the stuff that I say so that I can learn why Im wrong.
It really depends a lot on the kid and on the family. I stopped going to autism support groups because so many of the parents were so overwrought about it that they (IMO) were making their kids worse. It got the hell on my nerves. To me, all kids have their quirks and issues. Mine have the quirks and issues associated with being autistic. But my kids are high functioning, which makes it easier. We have mostly just adjusted as we've gone along. They are teenagers now, so there are new challenges. Like, stuff that was just a little strange in a cute six year old is creepy in a gawky fifteen year old guy, etc. Plus, the kid seriously needs to shave, but he has horrible eye/hand coordination so is he going to look like he ran into a glass patio door?

It's really hard to explain. It's not the end of the world and it's usually not tragic or whatever, but it can be hard for everyone involved. But one of the first people to tell me my kids had something 'wrong' with them and that they were probably autistic . . . I was still in denial. She was standing there telling me this stuff and behind her, her kid (who was about my kids' age) was hitting my kid with a plastic light saber over and over again for no reason. Not hard, but just to be irritating. My kid was just kind of ignoring it, doing his thing. It always stuck in my head that if her kid was normal, I'll keep mine, thankyouverymuch!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how come my threads go to the 3rd-4th page of the forum then someone bumps it up? why are people looking that far back? if it's not on the first page, not worth my time

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The doctors told my mom, when me and my siblings were infants/toddlers (too young to remember :alttongue: by the way, did I ever mention I'm the firstborn triplet?). Specifically, her three little musketeers were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

After a childhood spent with Mom running after us and doing everything she could to take care of our worst symptoms (mainly our speech patterns), we're now mostly normal. MOSTLY. :devil:

My brother still talks to himself at times and flaps his hands. He's a brilliant intellectual though, always asks just the right questions and is very obedient to Mom and Dad. My sister is into dance and music (especially tabla - she teaches younger students now). As for myself... well, I'm not too sure. I'm told by some people that I appear normal, though I do have a few quirks in my personality.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
It really depends a lot on the kid and on the family. I stopped going to autism support groups because so many of the parents were so overwrought about it that they (IMO) were making their kids worse. It got the hell on my nerves. To me, all kids have their quirks and issues. Mine have the quirks and issues associated with being autistic. But my kids are high functioning, which makes it easier. We have mostly just adjusted as we've gone along. They are teenagers now, so there are new challenges. Like, stuff that was just a little strange in a cute six year old is creepy in a gawky fifteen year old guy, etc. Plus, the kid seriously needs to shave, but he has horrible eye/hand coordination so is he going to look like he ran into a glass patio door?

It's really hard to explain. It's not the end of the world and it's usually not tragic or whatever, but it can be hard for everyone involved. But one of the first people to tell me my kids had something 'wrong' with them and that they were probably autistic . . . I was still in denial. She was standing there telling me this stuff and behind her, her kid (who was about my kids' age) was hitting my kid with a plastic light saber over and over again for no reason. Not hard, but just to be irritating. My kid was just kind of ignoring it, doing his thing. It always stuck in my head that if her kid was normal, I'll keep mine, thankyouverymuch!

LOL, thats funny. Yeah, when people are total dicks, thats fine, no disorder at all for that.

When I was really young (im talking 0-2) the doctors thought i might be autistic, but then they stopped. I was pretty weird growing up, and I too have always had really bad hand eye coordination.

I really hope that this doesnt come off the wrong way, like I know everything or something, but I think I MAY be able to mention some small things to you to help your son as he goes into young adulthood. Like i said, I was never autistic, but I was uncoordinated and awkward and had some stuff to overcome.

If u are interested pm me. I probably cant help much. And you probably already know the stuff that i can tell you. I just feel inclined to try and help, because i think that maybe i can a little bit. Just lemme know, if not i totally understand.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
LOL, thats funny. Yeah, when people are total dicks, thats fine, no disorder at all for that.

When I was really young (im talking 0-2) the doctors thought i might be autistic, but then they stopped. I was pretty weird growing up, and I too have always had really bad hand eye coordination.

I really hope that this doesnt come off the wrong way, like I know everything or something, but I think I MAY be able to mention some small things to you to help your son as he goes through adolesesce. Like i said, I was never autistic, but I was uncoordinated and awkward and had some stuff to overcome.

If u are interested pm me. I probably cant help much. And you probably already know the stuff that i can tell you. I just feel inclined to try and help, because i think that maybe i can a little bit. Just lemme know, if not i totally understand.

I had a lot of developmental and coordination problems growing up. and I also was assessed for autism.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I had a lot of developmental and coordination problems growing up. and I also was assessed for autism.

Developmentally I wasnt bad. I think alot of the reason is that Im a huge kid, and Im good looking.

Crass I know, but i think that kept people from messing with me. If i were small and maybe a little ugly, i wouldve been picked on all the time. Was never picked on. I always had some of the worst handwriting in the class, like LITERALLY the worst. Not one of those people who couldnt excel in art class so they consider their hand writing bad, im talking WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FUCKIN DOING BRO bad. but, i was able to make it through without standing out and being noticed, I think because of both the help of my family and because of the way that I looked. Idk, just my opinion.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Developmentally I wasnt bad. I think alot of the reason is that Im a huge kid, and Im good looking.

Crass I know, but i think that kept people from messing with me. If i were small and maybe a little ugly, i wouldve been picked on all the time. Was never picked on. I always had some of the worst handwriting in the class, like LITERALLY the worst. Not one of those people who couldnt excel in art class so they consider their hand writing bad, im talking WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FUCKIN DOING BRO bad. but, i was able to make it through without standing out and being noticed, I think because of both the help of my family and because of the way that I looked. Idk, just my opinion.

I mean in terms of walking, talking, dressing, ect I was behind in

I didn't walk til 2.5 didn't talk til around the same time, and this is kinda embarrassing but couldn't dress myself til end of 1st grade because buttons. I walked with out bending my knees until i was around 5 or 6

I think if I had been born 4 years later I would've been dxed with a pdd, honestly, but I don't know for sure.