• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

question for people with autism

How were you diagnosed?

• Professional

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • self/friends/family

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
out of my own curiosity how many of you have been diagnosed offically or been told that a professional suspected you to have autism and how many of you diagnosed yourself or took a quiz that said you did?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm neuro-typical, but my two sons are autistic. The school tested them. Haven't really needed more than that at this point.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm neuro-typical, but my two sons are autistic. The school tested them. Haven't really needed more than that at this point.

that counts as a professional IMO

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
that counts as a professional IMO
I think so, too. My husband, OTOH, has not been professionally diagnosed, but I think he's on the spectrum. He thinks most of it is hooey. It doesn't matter because he can hold a job and keep a wife happy and that's more than most 'normal' people manage. :laugh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think so, too. My husband, OTOH, has not been professionally diagnosed, but I think he's on the spectrum. He thinks most of it is hooey. It doesn't matter because he can hold a job and keep a wife happy and that's more than most 'normal' people manage. :laugh:

my mom and dad were packing up my grandparent's condo after my grandpa had past. and there was a box of plates and my mom went to go put something in that wasn't a plate. and my dad started throwing a fit on how it was a box for plates and you can't put other stuff in. and my mom jokingly said maybe we should have him tested for autism. though I don't know how much of it is him being a really unhealthy IxTJ.

I ask because when I was 3-4 I had a lot of the signs of autism including the developmental delays. but after I went to the professional it was deemed I was neurotypical. and I've had people ask me if I'm on the spectrum (not in a mean way). and I wonder if that had never happened would I now think I was autistic based on laymen feedback.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My wife first suggested it when we were still dating. I spent a lot of time researching aspergers and it seemed to perfectly explain some of my idiosyncrasies and lack of social graces.

I'm not ruling it out, but I've come to seriously question whether I'm actually on the autism spectrum. This doubt has been further amplified by my study and recognition of the cognitive functions within myself.

In short, I've always felt like an outsider looking in, and I think asperger's gave me a crutch to rationalize why I didn't fit in with "normal" society.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My wife first suggested it when we were still dating. I spent a lot of time researching aspergers and it seemed to perfectly explain some of my idiosyncrasies and lack of social graces.

I'm not ruling it out, but I've come to seriously question whether I'm actually on the autism spectrum. This doubt has been further amplified by my study and recognition of the cognitive functions within myself.

In short, I've always felt like an outsider looking in, and I think asperger's gave me a crutch to rationalize why I didn't fit in with "normal" society.

this makes sense. it really does. because I've felt the same way. except the spectrum was ruled out, so I just don't fit in because I don't fit in.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
my mom and dad were packing up my grandparent's condo after my grandpa had past. and there was a box of plates and my mom went to go put something in that wasn't a plate. and my dad started throwing a fit on how it was a box for plates and you can't put other stuff in. and my mom jokingly said maybe we should have him tested for autism. though I don't know how much of it is him being a really unhealthy IxTJ.

I ask because when I was 3-4 I had a lot of the signs of autism including the developmental delays. but after I went to the professional it was deemed I was neurotypical. and I've had people ask me if I'm on the spectrum (not in a mean way). and I wonder if that had never happened would I now think I was autistic based on laymen feedback.
If you have access to a professional, it might help to be checked out. Before my younger son was in school, I took him to a psychologist to have him evaluated. He told me he was fine and not to let him watch so much TV.

I'm not saying my kids did not watch TV, but it was generally PBS stuff and even as a little guy, he liked documentaries. He is also a pacer, so he really didn't just sit and watch TV. He came in and out or was building stuff (well, I knew he was building stuff, but if you didn't know he was building stuff, you might think he was just randomly lining things up).

Your dad could also have some kind of OCD.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not saying my kids did not watch TV, but it was generally PBS stuff and even as a little guy, he liked documentaries. He is also a pacer, so he really didn't just sit and watch TV. He came in and out or was building stuff (well, I knew he was building stuff, but if you didn't know he was building stuff, you might think he was just randomly lining things up).
I did the lining things up as a kid, I don't know if I actually lined stuff up or if I looked like I was (I don't remember). my mom only allowed PBS but I do remember organizing my dolls on my bed and my mom described me as methodical, introverted, logical, and imaginative. and I would watch tv, but I was a pacer always have been I find it relaxes me the more I have going on the more I pace.

Your dad could also have some kind of OCD.

that's possible, but I don't think it do any good for him to go to a professional he has heart failure and probably be dead before anything happened. plus he's against therapists. my mom's been trying to get him to go for years

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everybody is on the spectrum nowadays. Quite ridiculous really.

As [MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION] mentioned, the functions explains way more. So many ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs with some INFPs on the list get diagnosed as PPD-NOS/Aspergers... which makes me think the whole thing is fishy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it's a make believe disorder, but I think autism and asperger's became the trendy disorder in the last 10 to 15 years. Autism diagnoses are handed out like candy.

Before that it was ADD and ADHD that were the trendy disorders, which, incidentally, I was diagnosed with in 2002.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I did the lining things up as a kid, I don't know if I actually lined stuff up or if I looked like I was (I don't remember). my mom only allowed PBS but I do remember organizing my dolls on my bed and my mom described me as methodical, introverted, logical, and imaginative. and I would watch tv, but I was a pacer always have been I find it relaxes me the more I have going on the more I pace.
You might be classified as autistic or you might not. It's fairly subjective and there is still so much they really don't have any idea about.

A diagnosis is good if it helps you get help, like some social coaching or ideas for how to deal with sensory issues or help/support with school/employment or a check from the government.

For little ones, early intervention can be developmentally helpful. But for older kids and adults, it's mostly about improving the ability to interface and function in one's environment.

We all kind of have our quirks and we mostly just have to figure out how to make them work or how to work around them. :shrug:

that's possible, but I don't think it do any good for him to go to a professional he has heart failure and probably be dead before anything happened. plus he's against therapists. my mom's been trying to get him to go for years
Yeah, he's probably very set in his ways at this point and it's not worth stressing him if everyone has been living with it all this time anyway.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't think it's a make believe disorder, but I think autism and asperger's became the trendy disorder in the last 10 to 15 years. Autism diagnoses are handed out like candy.

Before that it was ADD and ADHD that were the trendy disorders, which, incidentally, I was diagnosed with in 2002.

I agree on Aspergers being a trendy disorder. When high-functioning, it can easily be confused with social anxiety, Avoidant PD, and OCD. When I first looked at the disorder, I grew suspicious of myself having the disorder. Now I realize that it's probably just social anxiety.

In my own opinion, I don't really think High-Functioning Aspies are actually aspies at all, but just overly mis-diagnosed because they have co-morbidity with Cluster C: OCD, Avoidant PD, and Dependent PD. I think that those combinations combined in an HSP would look almost the exact same as Aspergers from the outside but wouldn't have the cognitive impairments.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
more people, answer please. thank you. I want to know.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP

Maybe sometimes people who are just really IxTx get diagnosed sometimes. Autism can be pretty severe though so I'd agree. There are habits they go through, and they have been shown to have a disconnect between sight and hearing which can be a perturbation.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes it's a mixture purplz, also weather you think an official diagnosis will help or hinder. Some people find they dislike the label others find it a useful tool in accessing resources.

I first noticed differences in behaviour perception and communication with my daughter when she was two years old, we went through the diagnosis route with professionals and I am glad of that because it helped us access a lot of educational professionals etc.

I think as an adult it should be your choice weather you would like an assessment.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sometimes it's a mixture purplz, also weather you think an official diagnosis will help or hinder. Some people find they dislike the label others find it a useful tool in accessing resources.

I first noticed differences in behaviour perception and communication with my daughter when she was two years old, we went through the diagnosis route with professionals and I am glad of that because it helped us access a lot of educational professionals etc.

I think as an adult it should be your choice weather you would like an assessment.
I don't think I have it, I just wanted to know about others. because I'm curious. It was ruled out when I was around 3 or 4. I did have developmental delays and trouble with school and social things and my fine motor (still do) so I got lots of help with those things such as physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I have it, I just wanted to know about others. because I'm curious. It was ruled out when I was around 3 or 4. I did have developmental delays and trouble with school and social things and my fine motor (still do) so I got lots of help with those things such as physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.

My son has autism and was diagnosed at 18 months. You say it was ruled out about 3-4. Aspergers (a form of autism) isn't diagnosed until the ages of 5-7. There is also PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) which might not have been as diagnosed as often when you were young. Depending on your situation now as an adult, I say try not to worry about it. :)

But if you're interested in learning more, there's a plethora of information out there. Some of which provide questionnaires to see if it's something that should be of concern.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My son has autism and was diagnosed at 18 months. You say it was ruled out about 3-4. Aspergers (a form of autism) isn't diagnosed until the ages of 5-7. There is also PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) which might not have been as diagnosed as often when you were young. Depending on your situation now as an adult, I say try not to worry about it. :)

But if you're interested in learning more, there's a plethora of information out there. Some of which provide questionnaires to see if it's something that should be of concern.

I took a quiz said I was 80% risk of being on the spectrum, but it's also the internet. http://adultautism.us/atrisk/ but I don't think I'm too bad off, I just don't do well socially which I never have. I just find it interesting is the people I have related to the most in my life have all been on the spectrum. And I probably am not on the spectrum.

G

garbage

Doctors told my family that I probably had it, and so I got stuck in a preschool for lil' kids with all sorts of mental problems.

Doctors weren't very good back then. Turned out that I didn't have autism, of course. Still, I had the label before it was cool.

(I did have another mental disorder, but it didn't surface for another 15 years and went undetected for a long time after that. Doctors :yesss:)