• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

question for people with autism

How were you diagnosed?

• Professional

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • self/friends/family

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
A was really late walking, but pretty early verbally. My mom also waited on me hand and foot and (from my understanding of what shes told me) would basically growl at people who disturbed our zen. Behaviorally, I was really normal. I suppose just uncoordinated. But, I have to attribute alot of it to my mom, it was legendary how much she babied me. She still talks about it to this day.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^ That's kind of cute, actually. :D What you said about being good-looking, although I admit it sounds off-putting at first- I also have to say, I thank my lucky stars that my son is as adorable as he is. He's just a happy, cute kid and that seems to make people want to help him rather than exclude him, both adults and his peers.

What advice would you give a young person who was struggling with being awkward and uncoordinated?

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Well, to her son, first off i would say get him a nice electric razor that has an extention for side burns. I havent used a hand razor for over a year. Although i may not be as bad as her son (and also have more experience and knowledge of how to control my hands) I still avoid those razors because they are (a)unncessary for my teenage caliber facial hair and (b) require a bit of concentration for me.

Probably the second thing that I wanted to tell her is that its gonna be harder for him to write papers (and also do general writing hw) than for other kids.
Although im willing to bet that hes really smart, hes still gonna have problems writing up hw and papers because his handwriting is so bad. This will frustrate both of you. She needs to go buy him a program called dragon speak so he can get his papers written with more ease. Teachers will tell her not to do this, "that he'll never learn if he does it that way DOYYYY" but their mostly wrong. Yeah, he does need to learn to use his hands as best as possible, but this is something that im about to buy and that would help anyone.

Thats the most practical advice i can give. Oh, and in general, dont put him in positions where he gets frustrated at himself for being bad at motor tasks (aka with his hands and athletically in general). Im sorry, but he'll always be not as good as every one else at it, lol. Uncordinated is something you learn to live with, not something you can make go away. Tell him to choose hobbies that arent as motor focused.

OKay, ill shut up now.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll try to remember those things- my kid is just 9 now, but he'll need the shaving advice soon enough, I guess. Sigh.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I do feel lucky that his teachers let him use the iPad to write as much as possible at school- he doesn't have terrible handwriting, but he does write slowly.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I wanna show u my notebook lol. aka me writing really fast and haphazardly.
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
lol, pics or it didn't happen. :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well, to her son, first off i would say get him a nice electric razor that has an extention for side burns. I havent used a hand razor for over a year. Although i may not be as bad as her son (and also have more experience and knowledge of how to control my hands) I still avoid those razors because they are (a)unncessary for my teenage caliber facial hair and (b) require a bit of concentration for me.

Probably the second thing that I wanted to tell her is that its gonna be harder for him to write papers (and also do general writing hw) than for other kids.
Although im willing to bet that hes really smart, hes still gonna have problems writing up hw and papers because his handwriting is so bad. This will frustrate both of you. She needs to go buy him a program called dragon speak so he can get his papers written with more ease. Teachers will tell her not to do this, "that he'll never learn if he does it that way DOYYYY" but their mostly wrong. Yeah, he does need to learn to use his hands as best as possible, but this is something that im about to buy and that would help anyone.

Thats the most practical advice i can give. Oh, and in general, dont put him in positions where he gets frustrated at himself for being bad at motor tasks (aka with his hands and athletically in general). Im sorry, but he'll always be not as good as every one else at it, lol. Uncordinated is something you learn to live with, not something you can make go away. Tell him to choose hobbies that arent as motor focused.

OKay, ill shut up now.
I was thinking an electric razor might be our best bet. He, thankfully, still looks cute-ish (kind of like Rick Moranis) and he is funny, at least to teachers. But he's looking unkempt, which is not good. The only problem is he has always hated electric clippers. I generally tip like crazy when he gets his hair cut because of that, because I know it's more work.

With my older son, I've gotten arrangements worked out with teachers so that he can type his papers at home and email them in. My younger son's speech is very stammery and he refuses to learn how to pronounce the two TH sounds properly so I am not sure he could do speech recognition. Like Ivy's son, their handwriting isn't awful but so slow that they lose their trains of thought before they can get stuff written down a lot of the time.

We're not any of us athletes. I think sports are mostly stupid anyway. I'm 85% certain my husband is on the spectrum and I am pretty nerdy, so we don't expect our kids to be jocks or anything.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]

DISCLAIMER: what you are about to see is not a pretty sight. My hopes are that what you are about to see will neither scar you, nor change your opinion of me in anyway. Here is my quick hand scribble scrabble so i dont loose my train of thought.

Here it comes
:17425: :nopoints: :shocking:

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I didn't understand a lick of that... though that's more because I sense it was some kind of math-like process, not so much because of the handwriting.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My notes don't look any better than that, I don't think. I'm neurotypical, but my motor skills are nothing to write home about. When I need to, I write fast, then go back and recopy my notes neatly while it's all still fresh in my mind. I learned to do that at my first job.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
My notes don't look any better than that, I don't think. I'm neurotypical, but my motor skills are nothing to write home about. When I need to, I write fast, then go back and recopy my notes neatly while it's all still fresh in my mind. I learned to do that at my first job.

Im gonna have to do the same thing

:cry:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Im gonna have to do the same thing

:cry:
For classes, just the act of writing stuff down lodges it in my brain (and helps me pay attention and focus) enough that I *usually* don't ever have to go back and look at the notes. But when stuff has to be legible, I have to either recopy it or type it. Word processors and PCs were just becoming a thing when I first started college, so I remember what it was like before them. I'm very, very pro-technology. :laugh:

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
For classes, just the act of writing stuff down lodges it in my brain (and helps me pay attention and focus) enough that I *usually* don't ever have to go back and look at the notes. But when stuff has to be legible, I have to either recopy it or type it. Word processors and PCs were just becoming a thing when I first started college, so I remember what it was like before them. I'm very, very pro-technology. :laugh:

Me too. Well, sounds like ur the perfect momma for ur sons. Thats great!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]

DISCLAIMER: what you are about to see is not a pretty sight. My hopes are that what you are about to see will neither scar you, nor change your opinion of me in anyway. Here is my quick hand scribble scrabble so i dont loose my train of thought.

Here it comes
:17425: :nopoints: :shocking:

View attachment 11436

View attachment 11437

about the same as mine, of course I was told to use a computer as well. My hand writing has improved over the years though it actually stays on the line now.so maybe yours is now worst

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean in terms of walking, talking, dressing, ect I was behind in

I didn't walk til 2.5 didn't talk til around the same time, and this is kinda embarrassing but couldn't dress myself til end of 1st grade because buttons. I walked with out bending my knees until i was around 5 or 6

I think if I had been born 4 years later I would've been dxed with a pdd, honestly, but I don't know for sure.

If it makes you feel any better, my siblings and I didn't talk until we were about 3-4 years old. Until then, we pretty much spoke to each other in our own gibberish language. Quite scary and amusing at the same time for our mom, to say the least.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If it makes you feel any better, my siblings and I didn't talk until we were about 3-4 years old. Until then, we pretty much spoke to each other in our own gibberish language. Quite scary and amusing at the same time for our mom, to say the least.

Oh I'm not upset or ashamed, I was stating a fact

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh I'm not upset or ashamed, I was stating a fact

Ah, okay then :D my bad!

To add on to my previous statement - my siblings and I were all in our own little world, according to my parents' accounts. We might not have had coherent speech at the time, but we had each other's company and could somehow understand each other's "language". Mom once made us promise (in recent years, that is) that the three of us would always remain best friends with each other like that. :)