• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overcoming our own arrogance

ygolo

My termites win
Of all the problems I have, my own arrogance is what seems to cause me the most unexpected and thorny problems.

How do I overcome my own arrogance?

If you are arrogant yourself, how do we?

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks.

It may be subtle. But it's there.

Pride.

It narrows my perception, denigrates' others', and raises hopes to unrealistic levels.

I know it's part of me, and I'll never be rid of it. I may even be able to make some good of it. But I want it to stop hurting others or myself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm arrogant but it's ok because so is a lot of other people, plus it keeps me going and not give up. even if at times i looks like i've given up, I haven't I'm just carefully planning my next move, which may take years.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've found that it helps to start with the little things: asking others for input, recognizing when they know more than you, flat-out telling people "you're right and I'm wrong". That sort of thing. Getting into the habit of not only noticing when other people are better than you at particular things, but pointing it out to them (when appropriate). It makes them happy, which in turn makes you happy, and makes a world of difference in killing your excess pride.

From there, it's a matter of learning your own limitations and checking your ego -- which is of course easier said than done.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of all the problems I have, my own arrogance is what seems to cause me the most unexpected and thorny problems.

Arrogance is usually defined as an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. The antidote is therefore not humility, but realism. It is OK to think you know alot about something, or are very good at something, or even have an important role in something, when you actually do. It is even OK to say so when that is relevant. Arrogance comes in when the claims are unsupportable, in which case it is either error (if an honest misjudgment), or a lie (if you really do know better).

So, address any tendency to arrogance by learning what your strengths, weaknesses, talents and limitations really are; and then mention it only when relevant to the discussion or situation. This is what I try to do. There are probably people out there who think I am arrogant, just because I have no qualms about asserting myself and my expertise when necessary. These same people are just not there on the occasions when I readily defer to someone else's expertise, or admit my ignorance.

W

WALMART

Vigilant among the heedless, watchful among the sleeping, the wise one forges ahead even as a charger outdistances a weak horse. Sorrowless he surveys the sorrowful crowd. This wise man regards the foolish as the mountaineer from his high peak looks at those who are dwelling on the plains.

There is no escaping the condition of existence. Nurture a mindful tongue, observe it as well as your mind observes any.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Brutal honesty. Be honest with yourself.