• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how has your attention span changed as you've gotten older?

how has your attention span changed over the years

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Agreed.

I also find it a bit irritating that everyone is so quick to label their self as ADD/ADHD.

I know for a fact I'm not ADD/ADHD. anyways I don;t know why I have no attention span, but that's not why. I'm one of those people that forgets words a lot or what I'm saying or easily distracted by what's going on around me, but that doesn't mean I'm add/adhd

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed.

I also find it a bit irritating that everyone is so quick to label their self as ADD/ADHD.

Most people in the thread seem to have labels of "ADD/ADHD" given to them by a psychiatrist- they haven't "labelled their self." I realize this condition (along with a wide array of others) is over/misdiagnosed some populations. Is that aspect what irks you? Just curious.

I think overall, in terms of aging/attention span, the same would apply across the board to practically anyone with/without any existing diagnosis. Neurologically speaking, if you don't use it often enough (engage certain established connections), you lose it, right? :thinking:

Sunny Ghost

I know for a fact I'm not ADD/ADHD. anyways I don;t know why I have no attention span, but that's not why. I'm one of those people that forgets words a lot or what I'm saying or easily distracted by what's going on around me, but that doesn't mean I'm add/adhd

I wasn't talking about you. I just meant in general, a lot of people try to claim they have add/adhd.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wasn't talking about you. I just meant in general, a lot of people try to claim they have add/adhd.

I know, but I wanted to share.

and also with aspergers, autism, and other things. Everything I say I have I've been officially dxed and been in psych wards multiple times (not to brag, just pointing out, that sometimes I wonder if someone claims to have schizophrenia or bipolar (the one that can cause psychosis) and never been hospitalized I get suspicious, Know that's wrong but it's the truth)

that being said I have my doubts about my own dx (what it is, is not the point)

Sunny Ghost

Most people in the thread seem to have labels of "ADD/ADHD" given to them by a psychiatrist- they haven't "labelled their self." I realize this condition (along with a wide array of others) is over/misdiagnosed some populations. Is that aspect what irks you? Just curious.

I think overall, in terms of aging/attention span, the same would apply across the board to practically anyone with/without any existing diagnosis. Neurologically speaking, if you don't use it often enough (engage certain established connections), you lose it, right? :thinking:
The bolded.

Sunny Ghost

If extroversion is a result of low mental arousal and introversion a result of high mental arousal, how does attention span differ between the two? :thinking:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I marked that it has deteriorated because I have lost it for the important things. When I was in school, I had little attention span for maintenance activities and obligations, but was endlessly focused on things I actually loved, like my craft and like reading. I got a shitload done and do not regret the practical price. In college, this flipped over backwards. Now I can put more focus on security-related tasks and have more of a sense of my physical status and the condition of what I own, but find it very hard to get into my passions at the old pace. My internet use also went up in college, too, along with a greater distractability by escape activities like that. You can call what I am now normal, but normal to me has a stink of self-sabotage, as organized and well-housetrained as it appears.

Note: not blaming college for my own habits. It's just a convenient time marker.

Sunny Ghost

I marked that it has deteriorated because I have lost it for the important things. When I was in school, I had little attention span for maintenance activities and obligations, but was endlessly focused on things I actually loved, like my craft and like reading. I got a shitload done and do not regret the practical price. In college, this flipped over backwards. Now I can put more focus on security-related tasks and have more of a sense of my physical status and the condition of what I own, but find it very hard to get into my passions at the old pace. My internet use also went up in college, too, along with a greater distractability by escape activities like that. You can call what I am now normal, but normal to me has a stink of self-sabotage, as organized and well-housetrained as it appears.

Note: not blaming college for my own habits. It's just a convenient time marker.
This is basically what I was trying to say, but you more eloquently phrased it.

It's funny to think about it now, but it's almost as though the grass is greener on the other side. I always wish my attention and focus were on the opposite of what it is on. When I was younger, I thought there was something inherently wrong with me because I couldn't get my attention to focus on the things people told me I should be focusing on: my future, a career, school, grades, money, savings, security. Now I've trained myself to adjust, and now I feel less creatively minded and can no longer bring myself to focus on the things I used to expend energy and attention on.