• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychological Warfare

Alea_iacta_est

It's interesting that two of you think it is funny to accuse me of gaslighting and psychlogical warfare when I have just elucidated these concepts.
It is kind of amusing, I'm not going to lie. I'm not so much accusing you of anything really, I'm just trying to see how strong your argument really is when attacked at a weak point. It's tactical warfare, and your line seemed weakened at a certain point.

It seems you think it is smart and clever and funny to accuse me of the very things I am critiquing.
Yep, not going to lie. Though these were afterthoughts to figuring out how well your argument functions.

You have found another way of insulting me in company.
That's a bit extreme, no one is insulting you, for if this were the case, then civilized debates would be hostile attacks on each party's character.

Imagine if you made a contribution of your own - you would have no need to boost your ego by insulting anyone.
Like what? You've clearly outlined the details for psychological warfare elegantly already.

I don't really get an ego boost out of insulting anyone, it's a bit of fun though I will admit, but keep in mind that no one here is truly insulting you.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Also, FTR, I don't see how being ironic/pointing out hypocrisy isn't a valid contribution. That's the essence of satire.

It's not an insult, it's not an accusation, it's merely a very sharp question.

Mole

Permabanned
Gaslighting is emotional abuse.

And the sad fact is that we have on Typology Central a culture of insult.

And the culture of insult is emotional abuse.

Insults are against the rules and it is the duty of the moderators to break this culture of insult.

This may take some time as many here think insulting others is fun.

Many think insulting others is a form of sport when it is emotional abuse.

Alea_iacta_est

Insults are against the rules and it is the duty of the moderators to break this culture of insult.

This may take some time as many here think insulting others is fun.

Many think insulting others is a form of sport when it is emotional abuse.

This kind of seems like an indirect attack on my unconscious personality. I don't consciously get pleasure from insulting people, it is arisen out of the id, I have no complete control over it. I do try to moderate it in places such as this so that I can function as a reputable member of this internet society, and the only time I truly insult people is when they have personally attacked me in any way shape or form, and as of yet none of you have truly.

It is fun up to a point, over-indulging in a food makes it less pleasurable doth it not, plus I prefer it with vengeance, which adds a sweet taste to it. I don't get any joy out of insulting people on the internet really because it doesn't have the personal quality.

Luckily, I'm a bit of an emotional masochist so please do keep calling me the bad guy, I relish it.

Mole

Permabanned
This kind of seems like an indirect attack on my unconscious personality. I don't consciously get pleasure from insulting people, it is arisen out of the id, I have no complete control over it. I do try to moderate it in places such as this so that I can function as a reputable member of this internet society, and the only time I truly insult people is when they have personally attacked me in any way shape or form, and as of yet none of you have truly.

It is fun up to a point, over-indulging in a food makes it less pleasurable doth it not, plus I prefer it with vengeance, which adds a sweet taste to it. I don't get any joy out of insulting people on the internet really because it doesn't have the personal quality.

Luckily, I'm a bit of an emotional masochist so please do keep calling me the bad guy, I relish it.

It doesn't matter how you feel about insulting members of Typology Central, it is simply against the rules.

Alea_iacta_est

It doesn't matter how you feel about insulting members of Typology Central, it is simply against the rules.

It would seem you may have taken my words out of context, if you read my full argument, I said that no one was insulting you in any way. I do not believe I have actually attacked anyone's character on this forum, and if I have actually made anyone here feel victimized, then I apologize, for it was not intentional.

In fact, I specifically stated that I did not truly enjoy insulting people on the internet, which faced with logic and inference would entail that I don't really do it on the internet. It's a waste of time on the internet.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I am elucidating psychological warfare from the ancient Chinese The Art of War by Sun Tzu, to the modern Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, you accuse me of waging psychologal warfare, while at the same time deliberately insulting me personally.

As opposed to impersonally insulting you? Anyway, you're just molling again.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gaslighting is a form of mental abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her own memory, perception and sanity.

So one would wonder why you would want to deny gaslighting is a form of mental abuse?
People will disagree about what constitutes gaslighting, because it will not always be clear whether (1) the information presented is false; or (2) the intent is to make the person addressed doubt his/her sanity.

It is easy to dismiss any unwelcome criticism as gaslighting, since that impugns both the content of the criticism, and the intentions of the critic.

Mole

Permabanned
People will disagree about what constitutes gaslighting, because it will not always be clear whether (1) the information presented is false; or (2) the intent is to make the person addressed doubt his/her sanity.

It is easy to dismiss any unwelcome criticism as gaslighting, since that impugns both the content of the criticism, and the intentions of the critic.

Yes, unwelcome criticism and gaslighting are two separate activities.

And the respective meaning are well known and can be found in the dictionary.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, unwelcome criticism and gaslighting are two separate activities.

And the respective meaning are well known and can be found in the dictionary.
The problem isn't understanding dictionary definitions. It is recognizing in real life which situation fits which definition. If you have the crystal ball that shows the truth of every matter and the intentions of every person, you have quite a career ahead of you.

Mole

Permabanned
The problem isn't understanding dictionary definitions. It is recognizing in real life which situation fits which definition. If you have the crystal ball that shows the truth of every matter and the intentions of every person, you have quite a career ahead of you.

There is no need to be sarcastic, me ol' Coriolis with the Earth spinning under her.

I remain opposed to the emotional abuse of gaslighting. I don't think it is funny.

And I expect you as moderator to be opposed to emotional abuse too.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is no need to be sarcastic, me ol' Coriolis with the Earth spinning under her.

I remain opposed to the emotional abuse of gaslighting. I don't think it is funny.

And I expect you as moderator to be opposed to emotional abuse too.
I expect every human to be opposed to emotional abuse. That doesn't automatically endow every human with the ability to recognize it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I expect every human to be opposed to emotional abuse. That doesn't automatically endow every human with the ability to recognize it.
There can be an advantage to not recognizing it, but only if you aren't beholden to the source of it in some way. I've noticed an aspect to things like passive-aggression that is similar to a tree falling in the forest and no one heard it, so did it make a sound? When some of these tactics are not acknowledged, it can immediately deflate the process into nothingness.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There can be an advantage to not recognizing it, but only if you aren't beholden to the source of it in some way. I've noticed an aspect to things like passive-aggression that is similar to a tree falling in the forest and no one heard it, so did it make a sound? When some of these tactics are not acknowledged, it can immediately deflate the process into nothingness.

You lost me at "beholden."

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Boring.

I was hoping to read about a previously unknown MMA-like match between Freud and Jung or something.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Boring.

I was hoping to read about a previously unknown MMA-like match between Freud and Jung or something.

Seriously, I was hoping of some mention of Edward Bernays, founder of so many of the western propaganda techniques. I mean, some of that stuff is pretty awesome (United Fruit Company, etc.) and so few know about it.