• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jung and the Archetype

Mole

Permabanned
Carl Jung is famous for his archetypes.

But we would never guess that here.

Here we get cliché after cliché after cliché, never rising to an archetype.

It's as though archetypes don't exist.

But that's what we would expect here as we live our archetype.

So what is our archetype?

The most common archetype here is the the archetype of Narcissus.

You remember, Narcissus looked into a pond and saw a beautiful youth, but he did not know it was himself, I'll say that again, he did not know it was himself.

And this is the essence of Greek Tragedy, the protagonist can't stop the unfolding tragedy because they don't know what they are doing.

And it is exactly the same for the Oedipus and Electra archetypes, Oedipus did not know it was his mother, and Oedipus did not know it was his father. And Electra did not know it was her father and mother.

And so the Greek tragedy unfolds before our horrified eyes, and no one can stop it.

And so it is plain that the Archetype of Narcissus is being fully lived here, because we don't know what we are doing.

We do not recognise we are living the archetype of Narcissus.

Mole

Permabanned
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger is an archetype of a Greek Tragedy.

We are moving joyfully through field of rye unknowingly towards a deep cliff in front of us. The Catcher is trying to warn us of the danger ahead, but we take no notice, as we head towards the dangerous precipice.

Alea_iacta_est

Brevity is a virtue; I'd say more so than the skillful acrobatics around an argument.

If you would, enlighten me with the context so that I can make sense of this vague assertion, for I admit that I do not fully understand your point.

Mole

Permabanned
Brevity is a virtue; I'd say more so than the skillful acrobatics around an argument.

If you would, enlighten me with the context so that I can make sense of this vague assertion, for I admit that I do not fully understand your point.

The first point is that Jung is famous for his archetypes.

But on Typology Central, with Jung as our guru, we have neglected archetypes.