• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How old were you when you learned to read?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I passed mine off to my cousins (along with many a Seuss tale). Might as well have given them toilet paper, really.. they basically wiped their asses with 'em. Not the reading type.
As adults now, they're still not.

Hah, I think I remember that one..

One of my first was this:
cats, of course
four-little-kittens.jpg

It also came with an audio cassette that I used to listen to on a walkman on road trips/looking at the pictures (around the time I was learning to read). Reading in a vehicle triggers severe motion sickness for me, so the audio helped in that regard. I think that, although I was looking at the pictures during extended journeys, perhaps some part of my brain was also processing the words in front of my eyes in tandem with the voice in my ear- the tapes were likely a useful/indirect training aid.
I had books on tape and did the same thing, and they didn't help me learn to read. You're just smarter than me obviously

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Few years later than I learned how to use a computer, probably at the age of 6 or 7 (at 1st grade).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had books on tape and did the same thing, and they didn't help me learn to read. You're just smarter than me obviously

Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say how we learn makes us smarter (or less so) than anyone else. There's a lot of variety in that regard. I just guessed that about myself, cuz I tend to be a fairly adept audio-learner. I'm not even certain the tapes helped, but it makes sense in my mind that they'd be a contributor in some way. :shrug:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I learned very young. Parents read to me since before I can remember.

It took me a little while to learn to talk, but once I did I never stopped. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unbeknownst to my parents, when they were at work on weekdays, the university students they hired to babysit me decided to entertain themselves by teaching me phonics. I could sound out words before age 2 and read pretty decently by 3 or 4.

I have no memory of NOT being able to read -- and to be honest, I have no memory of my parents reading to me without me reading as quickly (or quicker) over their shoulder. When they read to me, it always felt more like something we did together. Like a game I was taking part in too.

Mole

Permabanned
This opens us a serious question of when did you learn to use the telephone, the television, the radio and the internet?

Almost all of us were compelled by State law to go to school to read and write, but why weren't we compelled by State law to learn to use the telephone, the television, the radio and the internet?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3 and a half or 4, i was an early reader. i skipped 1st grade mostly for that reason.

i used to play a computer game called reader rabbit that taught me.

Mole

Permabanned
3 and a half or 4, i was an early reader. i skipped 1st grade mostly for that reason.

And here we are, prove positive that print is now the content of the computer.

The intuitive computer is the environment and counter-intuitive print is merely the content of that environment.

Print had been relegated by the electronic computer.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I played that game, it didn't teach me how to read. I got gyped

Sunny Ghost

I don't recall if I learned to read prior to first grade or not. But I learned to read during first grade. It's one of my more vivid childhood memories because of all the stress surrounding the situation. We moved to the States from South Korea, and I was placed in speech classes and my parents bought me hooked on phonics. New country, new language, and on top of that, my dad was slightly cruel and punished me when I did my homework incorrectly. I had quite the aversion to learning for a long time, which I think was rooted in those years.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have three memories related to "learning to read". The first is reading simple addition problems and individual words at the age of 3, the second is my mother having me read short passages for practice when I was 5, and the third is being one of the "readers" in Kindergarten who read handouts to the class, specifically one about the rain forest. Placing an exact time on when I started to learn is impossible.

I didn't even realize at the time that there were people in my Kindergarten class that couldn't read. It's just crazy to think about how little I understood the people around me up until 6-7th grade. Before then, I assumed that everyone in my classes was at the same place in terms of learning.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I remember being able to read a little bit before going to school and learning to read much better shortly after starting school.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Three. I was reading the comic strip Peanuts first (Charlie Brown, Snoopy).
I was regularly reading The Golden Book Encyclopedia of Natural Science by age 5.
I was reading adult-level books by mid-elementary school.

More books, please.

Mole

Permabanned
A Pastime from Times Past

When they taught me to read, they never told me I wouldn't be able to stop.

Thank God for the telephone, the television, radio, movies, and Youtube, where I have no need to read - I can see a future where reading is a quaint pastime from times past.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
i was 3 and it was because i wanted to know what was in those huge books in the library, although i don`t actually remembering learning letters and such, but sentences and phrases,
thank you grandpa!

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Apparently, I was about 3 when I became interested in reading and writing. I didn't make much progress, although my mom bought me books and flashcards and stuff. I could read better than other kids when I went to kindergarten, but I was still much older than that by the time I learned to read fluently (about normal age, I'd wager).

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they taught us the basics in preschool, but I only remember reading when I was in Grade A/first year of school.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Around 6-7 years old. Some psychometrics claim that the age when an individual learns to read is a sign of intelligence.

depends on when they were taught it, yes?

I was taught it when I was 4 and I was a very good reader soon

when I got to school, I remember that when the other kids were learning to read, I was allowed to read the books I took with me to school :)

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was 5-6 years old when I begin reading