• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How old were you when you learned to read?

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I was 5. Not very long after I learned to speak actually. I was a very late speaker because I was basically deaf for a long time due to a heavy middle ear infection. I think me learning to talk so late is one of the possible reasons for me having a stutter, if not only recessive genes. I remember having a huge ego because I was the best in class at reading, I used to boast about it to everyone!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was 5. Reading was always extremely easy for me, despite having ADHD. I always remember liking it, and finding it to be very easy. Math on the other hand was a completely different story. My mother had to endure a lot crying and fighting to get me to do my math homework.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I remember learning how to write more than I remember learning how to read. I knew how to spell but I couldn't write very legibly until I was well into elementary school. (Some people would argue I still don't write legibly...)
In 5th grade my teacher actually started having me do my assignments on a computer because my handwriting was so bad

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My parents didn't know I knew how to read when I went to Kindergarten. I taught myself by using record-player books and my little record player. The teacher started teaching the rest of the class how to read and apparently I had already figured that bit out, so she finked on me to my parents.

... so... age 4 for me?

My parents also read to me all the time when I was little.

I usually was advanced a few grades higher for reading, all the time, doing the higher-level course work.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Confession: Still can't read. I'm here for the pictures.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. I have been able to read as long as I can remember, which goes back to age 3-4. I know my parents used to read to me quite a bit, so I probably picked it up that way. I don't remember any deliberate advice, like sounding out words. Of course, I could read only very simple things back then, but was always an advanced reader for my age. I despised first grade since most of it was spent teaching us to read, and I was made to go through all the stupid exercises like tracing words on pages, etc. I wanted them just to give me a book and let me read.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are we counting words or books? I definitely was able to read a children's book before first grade at age six (something to do with a fall birthday). I know this because I entered first grade knowing how to read and being annoyed with phonetics. I could recognize certain words at least by age 5 or 4. I can't get more precise than that because my memory kind of fails me, and evidently everyone else's does too.

I know I couldn't read at age 3 and it's pretty impressive that anyone could. I have memories from about that age being mystified by writing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Are we counting words or books? I definitely was able to read a children's book before first grade at age six (something to do with a fall birthday). I know this because I entered first grade knowing how to read and being annoyed with phonetics. I could recognize certain words at least by age 5 or 4. I can't get more precise than that because my memory kind of fails me, and evidently everyone else's does too.

I know I couldn't read at age 3 and it's pretty impressive that anyone could. I have memories from about that age being mystified by writing.

i guess sentences, because before i officially learned how to read i could recognize words such as cat and the but would have no clue what the other words were. and I think I only knew cat and the from seeing those words repeatly

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i guess sentences, because before i officially learned how to read i could recognize words such as cat and the but would have no clue what the other words were. and I think I only knew cat and the from seeing those words repeatly

I can't remember what the first sentence I read was. It might have been in the first book I read. I realized I read the first sentence and then I kept going. It was a book my parents had read to me a lot, so I knew the minuscule plot already.

Guess I'm not that speshul after all. It's not that unusual, I suppose. I could read at pretty high levels pretty quickly though. I think by the end of first grade I was reading at a sixth (twelfth?) grade level or something.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I learned to read before preschool- so about 3. Only very basic things, like "ball," "cat," "tree," etc. My dad really liked to read to us, & I have vague memories of following along, not always recognizing the letters, then trying to read more stories past bedtime/failing. Eventually the more complex words made sense. I sounded things out phonetically, & corrected myself when the sound didn't match up entirely. For example- a word like "knit," -if I pronounced the K, the word sounded "off" to me, & context clues within the sentences would help me to figure out what the word actually was, despite the confusing presence of a silent letter. No one else suggested looking for context- I kinda just looked everywhere around the problem word of my own accord. I was reading Little Golden Books myself by preschool (about 41/2), & short novels by 1st grade (age 6). Dabbling in Stephen King when I was in 3rd grade.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The first book I read was a Little Golden Book. Pokey Little Puppy.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I loved that book. I had the record that went with it.

I read pretty well when I went into Kindergarden. I was a problem student throughout my career. My mother always lamented teaching me to read before I went to school, she blames me being ahead and bored as the reason I had so much trouble.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rock:

I bet there are dozens of those Little Golden Books stashed somewhere in my parents' house.

Yeah, I passed mine off to my cousins (along with many a Seuss tale). Might as well have given them toilet paper, really.. they basically wiped their asses with 'em. Not the reading type.
As adults now, they're still not.

Hah, I think I remember that one..

One of my first was this:
cats, of course
four-little-kittens.jpg

It also came with an audio cassette that I used to listen to on a walkman on road trips/looking at the pictures (around the time I was learning to read). Reading in a vehicle triggers severe motion sickness for me, so the audio helped in that regard. I think that, although I was looking at the pictures during extended journeys, perhaps some part of my brain was also processing the words in front of my eyes in tandem with the voice in my ear- the tapes were likely a useful/indirect training aid.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I was more into running, playing, fighting, than reading. My motor skills developed faster than my intellectual.