• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Assertive vs. Aggressive Leaders

ygolo

My termites win
A person who does PR, Social Media, and Marketing wrote the following on her blog:
http://bookboon.com/blog/2012/12/whats-the-difference-between-an-assertive-and-aggressive-leader/

an excerpt:
Assertive leader

• We can all win’
  • Ideas, opinions and feelings are expressed in an open honest manner
  • Both positive and negative elements can be discussed
  • They work on facts not opinions and emotions
  • They work to find a compromise or solution
  • They respect the rights of everyone else

Aggressive leader
  • I win-you lose’
  • No debate
  • Threats, manipulation and blame are evident
  • They want to get their own way
  • Cold, hard and sarcastic tone of voice
  • Leadership position feelings of superiority. This may be maintained by putting other people down

Any thoughts on this?

Any preferences for a type of leader you would prefer to follow?

Any preferences for the type of leader you would like to be?

Any thoughts on a more general distinction between assertiveness and aggressiveness?

Alea_iacta_est

Any preferences for a type of leader you would prefer to follow? Gee.. this is a really hard decision XD, and the same goes for the other question.

Any thoughts on a more general distinction between assertiveness and aggressiveness? Assertive leaders will put down emotional arguments that are deemed illogical and perhaps irrational. They are also much more careful than aggressive leaders IMO.

ygolo

My termites win
Any preferences for a type of leader you would prefer to follow? Gee.. this is a really hard decision XD, and the same goes for the other question.
Just wanted to make sure the assumptions I had in mind were valid :D

Any thoughts on a more general distinction between assertiveness and aggressiveness? Assertive leaders will put down emotional arguments that are deemed illogical and perhaps irrational. They are also much more careful than aggressive leaders IMO.

Does this statement also imply aggressive leaders will not (tend to) put down emotional arguments that are deemed illogical and perhaps irrational?

Alea_iacta_est

Just wanted to make sure the assumptions I had in mind were valid :D

Does this statement also imply aggressive leaders will not (tend to) put down emotional arguments that are deemed illogical and perhaps irrational?

I think aggressive leaders would actually go overboard in taking down someone's emotional argument and become emotional themselves, while assertive leaders will put down emotional arguments, explain why, and give a counter-offer/poll the group.

ygolo

My termites win
Just how I am.

Surely, some of your natural inclinations fall under assertive rather than aggressive, no?

Which of the contrasting descriptors of aggressive vs. assertive leaders would you say come naturally to you?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I would agree in some parts and disagree in others.

A good leader is assertive. s/he respects his subordinates, and seeks collective working towards team goals.

the latter is a dope, in his or her personal/professional lives haha.. A person who can never accept they are wrong is a non-human, IMO. :)

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Surely, some of your natural inclinations fall under assertive rather than aggressive, no?

Which of the contrasting descriptors of aggressive vs. assertive leaders would you say come naturally to you?

All aggressive.