• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Real Life Help

rav3n

This is more a sociology topic but here goes. If there's a better subforum for it, then mods please move. It's a serious topic since I'm curious about this.

Do strangers offer unsolicited help to you very often in real life? If so, do you perceive any pattern as to why? If not, any idea why not?

Please include the following self-descriptions:
  • Friendly demeanor or not
  • Do you live in an urban or rural setting?

Please also include any descriptions of the type of people who offer help.

rav3n

Does this mean that no one ever experiences unsolicited help from strangers?

Then let's examine this from the opposite perspective. Why do you offer or give unsolicited help to strangers in real life?

G

garbage

I rarely ever have strangers offer unsolicited advice. Though, those that do I see as pushy and controlling across the board, not just with the 'advice' thing. I try to analyze what they say and pick apart what's applicable and what's colored by their perspective.

No other patterns that I can see.

I don't offer unsolicited advice, because (a) I often know little about a stranger's situation and, for that reason or others, it seems disrespectful to do so; and (b) I expect them to think more about me ("what an asshole" or perhaps "what a thoughtful young man") than about the advice itself. (Not that I mind their judgments about me, but it's a waste of airspace for me to offer advice if someone isn't listening or looking for it.)

..unless it affects me, that is. I'm more prone to give advice when it affects me, and only from my perspective.

I'll say, though, that I abide by "Don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer." I'm direct and honest when asked questions outright, and I expect the same when I ask questions.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
- Female
- Medium/medium
- Friendly when approached; otherwise I have a determined/serious resting face
- Urban setting

I cannot think of a single time when someone has offered me unsolicited help, and I hadn't at least had one or two conversations with them. Maybe someone who thought I needed Jesus, handing out pamphlets on a street corner or in a park. Besides that, people usually wait to hear more about me, before telling me what they think needs to be fixed.

I never give unsolicited advice to strangers irl, because
1) that's rude, and
2) I don't know them.
I reserve my unsolicited advice for people I care about/people I've gained a soft spot for. :)

rav3n

To clarify, help can be construed as advice or more concrete manifestations such as helping a lost small child find their mother or helping someone lift/carry an item that's obviously too heavy for them.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No.

Not sure why. I'm confident and self-assured? :shrug:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To clarify, help can be construed as advice or more concrete manifestations such as helping a lost small child find their mother or helping someone lift/carry an item that's obviously too heavy for them.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. If someone seems like they're REALLY struggling to accomplish something, and I feel capable/qualified, then I'll help. But they have to be struggling and failing to the point that I see them fail two or three times, or more. If it were me, that's when I would want help. Would rather get it done on my own, but if I can't do it, then... well, it has to get done somehow.

gromit

likes this
A guy helped me off the road after a bike accident and helped me get my bike out of traffic too. That was unsolicited but I'm glad he did it. Average size female in a fairly urban setting.

The other time, in a more urban setting I was on foot carrying a huge ass spice rack (wedding shower gift) half a mile back from Crate and Barrel or some store like that and another guy asked me if I needed help.

Those are the two I can think of.

Both times I was having a HORRIBLE day and I'm guessing it showed clearly on my face... :laugh:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
A complete stranger paid for my gas, paid to have my car filled up. When I tried to say thank you he told me to go out and unanimously do something kind for somebody else.

G

garbage

Oh. Yeah, I help people lift things and find mothers and stuff.

I only very reluctantly accept help. Once, my car's battery ran out of juice, and a passerby happened to know that one could push a car that had a manual transmission and turn the key to get it started. Guy saved my ass, and I'll never forget it.

If someone's struggling with something, and it'd take me significantly less effort for me to do it myself or to help them out--that is, if I have skills or knowledge that they don't--I may as well. If nothing else, I view it as an efficient allocation of collective resources if, on the whole, we can expect it all to get paid forward.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do strangers offer unsolicited help to you very often in real life? If so, do you perceive any pattern as to why? If not, any idea why not?

No, not often. The only time I have consistently received offers for help was when I was putting my small people up or down from my back.

http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/backwrapcrosscarry.htm

People would freak out, run over trying to help me. It was weird. I guess they thought I was going to drop the kid. I do admit the first time I saw the maneuver performed on a small baby, I was a bit horrified. It just really surprised me. I had times when I was heavily pregnant, struggling with groceries, packages, etc., but no one offered any help. So I guess it wasn't for me but for the poor baby! ;)

I would say I don't receive offers of help because I don't "look" like I need it. "She can take care of herself." Even when I was a young woman, I almost never received offers for help.

Female
Tall and not small.
Hmm...Can vary depending on what I have on my mind.
It's fairly rural-like where I live but I frequently go into an urban setting.

I don't remember anything specific beyond middle-aged white people, usually a couple, running over to offer assistance. To my credit, I never dropped a single baby...well, at least not while getting them up and down off my back.