• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do narcisists know they are narcisistic?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can be vain because I care about how I appear to others, but that doesn't mean I'm a narcissist.

If you care about how you appear to others and thus act unlike yourself in order to present yourself as more or better than you really are, you're narcissistic. Assigning some biased values to your opinion about narcissism and thinking it's not narcissism is only going to work in your own mind. That said it doesn't mean it is a problem.

I think narcissism isn't neccesarily bad, it all depends on how you put it in perspective and how you deal with it. But then, that also may just me being all narcissistic. :D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you care about how you appear to others and thus act unlike yourself in order to present yourself as more or better than you really are, you're narcissistic. Assigning some biased values to your opinion about narcissism and thinking it's not narcissism is only going to work in your own mind. That said it doesn't mean it is a problem.

I think narcissism isn't necessarily bad, it all depends on how you put it in perspective and how you deal with it. But then, that also may just me being all narcissistic. :D

Since I know I am putting on an appearance, that is just being vain. :D Most people, in their day to day activities, do not act like one's self or present one's self as is just because he/she is narcissistic.

Or well, ok it's narcissistic, but it isn't NPD.

But in this case, I'd rather call it being vain instead of narcissistic. It's subtle.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I know I am putting on an appearance, that is just being vain. :D Most people, in their day to day activities, do not act like one's self or present one's self as is just because he/she is narcissistic.

Or well, ok it's narcissistic, but it isn't NPD.

But in this case, I'd rather call it being vain instead of narcissistic. It's subtle.

I wonder if NPD is just narcissism with underlying problems. I still think narcissism by itself isn't neccesarily a negative thing.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder if NPD is just narcissism with underlying problems. I still think narcissism by itself isn't neccesarily a negative thing.

NPD is the extreme form of narcissism. Most people with NPD more than likely do not know they are being overly obnoxious because it is so engrained into their personalities.

Narcissism isn't negative. In fact, a healthy level is good for self-esteem.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think they may have a vague idea of their own sense of entitlement or imagined superiority, and also clues about how they don't seem to care about a lot of people. BUT to define themselves with NPD, I don't know.

Because most of them don't want to bear the brunt of their own self congratulations and lack of empathy. Like a sort of emotional bully, they seem to take for granted that they should be allowed to say horrible things, just really vapid self absorbed things, for example say things right to people or in front of them attempting to put them down overtly or subtly for their appearance, popularity, or achievement (things narcissistic people tend to define themselves by) but react very badly to the slightest suggestion that they themselves may be *gasp* AVERAGE...they will often even take neutral words like being average as an insult. They must always be enabled and reassured of their own extraordinary specialness.

Their perception of other things can be deluded and bizarre aside from their grandiose external validation schema, having histrionic or borderline features (also cluster B personality disorders).

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A narcissist hearing they are one is like kryptonite is to Superman. They will do anything to shut you down if they hear themselves being called on it.

I told a girl she was one one time and she started to make threats and accusations..just smoke really.

They're the hyenas of people. And the jackass. So like a double-headed asshole. If you come into contact with one (by mistake of course) be sure and wash your hands.

Thing is, most people have tendencies but some will take theirs past a point and take others for pawns in their diabolical schemes.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes.

How can they not?

I personally others are as they are, and avoid those one disapproves/doesn't like.

Alea_iacta_est

Narcissism is actually healthy for you, self-esteem wise.

NPD on the other hand, is extreme Narcissism in the sense that instead of someone loving themselves for who they are, they begin to love a fantasy self that isn't real and they suppress any signs of weakness or their true self. It's literally just making a personality out of the good parts of your personality and throwing away and hiding the dark parts and self-doubt.

Narcissism is the love of yourself
NPD is the love of your ideal self.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you are what you are. If you happen to be sensitive, don't dish out what you don't want to take.

It, to me, has to do with your valuation of others in comparison to yourself and an expectation of reciprocity. I would think a narcissist would have a skewed perception of their own value and the value of their contributions.
Awesome post, cafe.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I feel like they are aware but in denial.

Many people naturally run away from what they are, thinking they can change or convince everyone otherwise, when they actually can't.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So if narcissists know they are that means a rock knows it's a rock.