• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lucid dreaming

clueless

Permabanned
How do you awaken from them? I've been lucid dreaming for a while now and even though I am able to do certain things because of the awareness I have that I'm dreaming, I can't seem to wake up at will. Any other lucid dreamers with advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Is that kind of like that sleep paralysis thing?

clueless

Permabanned
Is that kind of like that sleep paralysis thing?

No, it's when you're dreaming and you're aware that you're dreaming and because you're aware, you can guide yourself through the dream, create any kind of (dream)world that you want to, rather than just lying there dreaming with no control over what happens. But at some point you might want to wake up.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, it's when you're dreaming and you're aware that you're dreaming and because you're aware, you can guide yourself through the dream, create any kind of (dream)world that you want to, rather than just lying there dreaming with no control over what happens. But at some point you might want to wake up.

Wow I have never had that before. I've heard people tell me about having this sort of thing, though. I imagine that it would be fairly difficult to force yourself to wake up in that circumstance.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have very vivid, lifelike dreams with some frequency (almost any time I get more than 8 hours of sleep or so). As to lucidity, it's more rare, but there are times when I know I am dreaming while in the dream state, and it seems that I behave in ways that I cannot/will not while awake. Interesting, to say the least.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Giving myself motivation to wake up usually works. I tell myself waking up will allow a good dream to become reality.

This is somewhat true actually, because I perceive it as reality while dreaming, and if I wake up, I will have that memory.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've had some pretty vivid dreams where I've had some control. The control was more in forcing sense into things, though, rather than a whole lot of control...

and I couldn't wake myself up. It's pretty scary. *watches thread for advice*

Didums

Advice: Make yourself do something that will startle you into waking up, basically convert your lucid dream to a nightmare at will lol, sounds bad but i'm sure it will work.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know somebody who can wake up from any dream at will because, in his dream, he goes to a wall and turns on the lights.

I've had a total of one lucid dream, so after a while I closed my eyes. Seems odd, but the purpose of a dream is to see what's being shown to you, so I figured that if I couldn't see anything, I would have no reason for being there. Not sure if it'd work twice, but it's not like it could hurt anything.

clueless

Permabanned
As to lucidity, it's more rare, but there are times when I know I am dreaming while in the dream state, and it seems that I behave in ways that I cannot/will not while awake. Interesting, to say the least.

Yeah, been there, done that. I've learned to control those sorts of things, though.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm the opposite of the OP. I get so excited that I'm lucid that I will myself to stay asleep; and thus, it rarely works.

I've only had a few substantial lucid dreams in my lifetime.

clueless

Permabanned
Why do you want to wake up?
Because at the moment I can't and I would like to know that I can. If, while dreaming, I can alter the course of the dream, I should also be able to will myself to wake from it.

This is somewhat true actually, because I perceive it as reality while dreaming, and if I wake up, I will have that memory.
I too perceive it as reality while dreaming, but I'm also aware that I'm dreaming and it's not reality.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Because at the moment I can't and I would like to know that I can.
Understood. Why do you want to know that you can?

If, while dreaming, I can alter the course of the dream, I should also be able to will myself to wake from it.
Seems like that would be true doesn't it?

No. I don't think there's any real reason to believe we can deliberately wake ourselves. I don't see how being able to alter a course of thoughts equates to being able to end it entirely, and cause enough mental ruckus to stop the entire process.

clueless

Permabanned
Understood. Why do you want to know that you can?

My dreams - lucid dreams - are like games that involve strategy. I'm not the only one dreaming either. There are others who are much more skilled than I am. So we are all dreaming together and each of us is able to manipulate the "reality" of the dreamscape. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the challenges I am asked to face and just want to know that when that happens I can remove myself (wake up) from the dream game, even for a little while.

clueless

Permabanned
Seems odd, but the purpose of a dream is to see what's being shown to you, so I figured that if I couldn't see anything, I would have no reason for being there. Not sure if it'd work twice, but it's not like it could hurt anything.

No, it doesn't seem odd. The purpose probably is to see what's being shown to you, and I do see many of the inherent possibilities, but I would like to know I have some choice about whether or not I want to continue dreaming and if not, know that I can awaken from the course that the dream is taking. As I mentioned in another post, there are others dreaming with me, more skilled than I at manipulating the events of the dream. Sometimes it seems like I'm unable to alter the course of the dreamscape because they are more adept at doing so than I.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
When I'm lucid dreaming I always look at my hands (in the dream) to make sure that I'm lucid dreaming. (This is something someone else recommended on a lucid dreaming forum 5+ years ago when I got interested in this.) Whenever I lucid dream, I always signal the same cue (look at hands). You could probably start the same sort of signal for yourself to tell yourself to wake up.

O

Oberon

I have had dreams in which I suspected that I was dreaming, but everything in the dream was so incredibly vivid and concrete that I could not be certain. Later I'd wake up, remember it, and say "Ah HAH! So I WAS dreaming! I KNEW it!"

I mean, assuming that I'm not actually dreaming this now.

I'm such a geek...

clueless

Permabanned
When I'm lucid dreaming I always look at my hands (in the dream) to make sure that I'm lucid dreaming. (This is something someone else recommended on a lucid dreaming forum 5+ years ago when I got interested in this.) Whenever I lucid dream, I always signal the same cue (look at hands). You could probably start the same sort of signal for yourself to tell yourself to wake up.

And did you learn that from Don Juan?

I have had dreams in which I suspected that I was dreaming, but everything in the dream was so incredibly vivid and concrete that I could not be certain.
Yes, they do seem very real. But there are things you can look for to discern whether or not you're dreaming.