• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lucid dreaming

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always have dreams with in dreams.

I have a question and no I haven't read the whole thread. But anyways what is it called when you don't know your dreaming and you have control over your actions, but you think you're awake the whole time because you don't remember falling asleep and then you realize later that their is no way that could have happened, and I wasn't drunk or on drugs either.

and I can sometimes feel things in my dreams and also taste things as well. Ooh and sometimes smells, so I don't think not being able to feel is true. Pain is less intense but it's still their, though I have woken with scratches and bruises on me from when I dream of being attacked even bite marks. So maybe I beat myself up in my sleep.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. :shock: I stand corrected.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I had another cinematic dream last night, in which I had to go to England to stop a pack of English rock stars who were also terrorists/murderers. It was very vivid; I had intensely-detailed renderings of streets, woods, even a train station. In fact, it was the Marple railway station in Greater Manchester. Best part: I've never been to Manchester, and had never seen a photo of the place until now:

Marple railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is pretty damn close to what I saw (it was autumn in my dream, nice color on the trees). Isn't that awesome and frightening at the same time? Also, this combination of letters figured prominently: BHOSC. Do you think that there may be some extrasensory elements to this? I get deja vu regularly, and sometimes, things that happen in my dreams end up happening in real life.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I had a dream which can only be described as the end of the (dream) world. I dreamed I had gotten to know this girl. We apparently had already been going out a while and were familiar in our relationship together.

SUDDENLY! I started to think "she looks an awful lot like my ex". Nah it's just my imagination. But the thought kept growing and it became impressed upon me that she was JUST LIKE my ex.

I was soooo glad to wake up from that nightmare.

On the topic of dreaming lucidly. I wish I could do it. I'd go flying over mountains every night....

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I managed to wake myself from a dream. I dreamt that me and my family were in the car and my mom was smoking a cigarette and I noticed the cigarette not getting shorter and their was no smoked, but it was lit [deduced it was a dream]. then I go my mom is allergic to tobacco she wouldn't be smoking! [woke up because I realized how ridiculous the dream was, and if it's going to be that preposterous I'd want something more interesting then my mom smoking.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Let's go lucid dreaming!

I have been trying to lucid dream for years, but the problem is the effort it takes. It is so hard to wake up right after a dream and write it in a journal. That's always stopped me. Today I found out perhaps a better way. Every time you open a door or cross a threshold, ask yourself if you are dreaming, and confirm it. I've been doing this all day... the first many times, I forgot to, but now I am beginning to remember. All that needs to happen is for you to cross a threshold in your dream, do a reality check, and you will wake up in the dream.

I will update this thread with any progress I make... let's have us some lucid dreams.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
This is interesting. i can wake up after a nightmare pretty easy. It's usualy that one where one is trying to run really fast but is getting absolutely nowhere in ones effort. I think it even sucks more to not get anywhere more than it is scary, even at the time it was all taking place. Which brings up another wierdy. Most of the time i can't remember why i was trying to run.

Is it that you can absolutely not remember any of the cool ones?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Huh. Sounds like it might work. I'll try it too.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
This is interesting. i can wake up after a nightmare pretty easy. It's usualy that one where one is trying to run really fast but is getting absolutely nowhere in ones effort. I think it even sucks more to not get anywhere more than it is scary, even at the time it was all taking place. Which brings up another wierdy. Most of the time i can't remember why i was trying to run.

Is it that you can absolutely not remember any of the cool ones?

It's not that I can't wake up after a dream, it's that I can't get myself to write it down. You see, you're supposed to write down everything you remember about a dream as soon as you have it. This enhances your dream recall enormously. I've been able to sustain it for a few days, and dreams get fucking crazy even after 1 night of doing it. You'll be amazed.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It's not that I can't wake up after a dream, it's that I can't get myself to write it down. You see, you're supposed to write down everything you remember about a dream as soon as you have it. This enhances your dream recall enormously. I've been able to sustain it for a few days, and dreams get fucking crazy even after 1 night of doing it. You'll be amazed.

I've heard this before, it's wicked cool.

I dream every night and usually have pretty stellar dreams.

I really listen to my dreams, I think they predict or foreshadow something.

I kind of think of myself as my own seer or sage. It's kind of cool.

I often have dreams that foreshadow significant events in my life, and always have. I think it's apart of my Intuition.

I'll try to do this, it sounds really cool.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
techniques only help with the last bit. lucidity is for the most part a reflection or symptom of a general attitude towards life and self. not towards dreams. you cant put that in a box. this kind of attitude is usually ebbing and flowing a bit. but it's also a structural good, so sudden brain damage or intoxication might take it away. it's hard to have an influence on this attitude. there is no quick fix. it's very personal.

T

ThatGirl

I am very good at lucid dreaming actually. It seems to start where at some point in my dream I realize that something is off in a logical sense. From the second I realize that I am dreaming I have loads of fun. My favorite are to be continued dreams.

LucrativeSid

That seems like a good idea in theory. It's probably worth trying. However, there's some other good ones.

1. When you go to bed, tell yourself that you want to have a lucid dream in the night. After all, this is your brain! You can control it!

2. Listen to audio. Have something loop so that every once in a while you'll hear something that is loud enough for your brain to register but not loud enough to wake you up completely. Then, while awake, familiarize yourself with that sound so you know it's your que to become lucid. They probably make audio for this too.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
I used to be a lucid dreamer when I was younger (this was due to necessity though), I could remember my dreams when I woke up, I could control what I was dreaming about, and it took no effort at all.

Currently, I don't get enough sleep to be a lucid dreamer.

I've heard you could buy special blindfolds that shine a small light keeping your mind active enough to recall dreams.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Unfortunately I don't think I got good enough sleep last night to go lucid. I went to bed around 11 and woke up at 3:15. I was starting to have dreams at the time I woke up. My dad and I were in the car listening to cassette tapes, and I put in Chumbawamba's Tubthumper, but the song that came out at first was a song called "Cruel" by Enon. Eventually "Tubthumping" came on, but I don't think either of us were pleased to hear it. I know there was a little more, but that's all I can remember right now.

Snow Turtle

How long does it usually take to move into dream states? I'm honestly quite surprised that four hours is not long enough as it's supposedly the amount of time really needed by the brain to recover, everything else is just extra.

I've wanted to Lucid dream for a while now but suffered the same problem of not wanting to wake up in the middle of the night to improve memory recollection, I find that my recollection has improved tremedously when I accepted the fact that I dreamed plenty of times in a night.

It really is a case of "believing is seeing" which goes against current logic "seeing is believing" - This is for those people who don't think they dream.

You might as well apply that theory to all checks.

- Look at your hands since they appear funny in the dream world.
- Mirrors are distorted
- Lightswitches don't work.

Any other illogical things in the world? It'd be really useful to find all the ones that don't reflect reality.

Snow Turtle

On that note: I've got two questions about Lucid dreaming that I'd love to hear answers to... It's caused me to avoid them.

a) Don't you fear that you are detracting away from the message of your dream? Especially when it reflects emotional/daily occurances within your life.

b) I found myself waking up later after remembering dreams - there's also mention that you are more tired when you lucid dream as opposed to just letting the mind rest. What say people here?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Kai, you dream most frequently in your REM sleep- Rapid Eye Movement, right after you fall asleep, and right before you awake. It's more uncommon to dream in deep sleep, as the brain waves are longer and unconscious thought patterns almost stop. That's why if you wake up at like 5:30, and fall back asleep, you can usually recall a dream you had if you were to wake up against at around 6:30 or 7:00 am.

Not everyone has the power to control dreams, so what you said about looking at your hands, mirrors, and lightswitches is rare if it comes up in a lucid dream.

I have the ability to think, sometimes, in my dreams. I remember the first time this happened, I was talking to someone in my dream, and consciously trying to type them..it was really weird.

Anyways, know that most lucid dreams happen right after you fall asleep or before you wake, and you usually have numerous dreams, but we just can't recall most of them.

Happy dreaming!

Snow Turtle

Kai, you dream most frequently in your REM sleep- Rapid Eye Movement, right after you fall asleep, and right before you awake. It's more uncommon to dream in deep sleep, as the brain waves are longer and unconscious thought patterns almost stop. That's why if you wake up at like 5:30, and fall back asleep, you can usually recall a dream you had if you were to wake up against at around 6:30 or 7:00 am.

How would this work in regards to having multiple dreams (More than 2)? Would this indicate that all the dreams occur in these two phases? Cheers.

Not everyone has the power to control dreams, so what you said about looking at your hands, mirrors, and lightswitches is rare if it comes up in a lucid dream.

I have the ability to think, sometimes, in my dreams. I remember the first time this happened, I was talking to someone in my dream, and consciously trying to type them..it was really weird.

Anyways, know that most lucid dreams happen right after you fall asleep or before you wake, and you usually have numerous dreams, but we just can't recall most of them.

Happy dreaming!

Haha... Aww this is true. I don't really have the ability to think unless it was blatantly obvious. Usually I'm just a third person observer feelings the effects as if I were first person. Weird.

The only time I did consciously realise that I was dreaming when I saw someone that I hadn't seen in years. It was obvious in that moment that I was dreaming, that was an awesome moment. Sucks that I only started to levitate for a few seconds before waking up!! But it did feel unreal trying to fly - I could literally feel the physical effect.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
read about the dream cycles. it already includes little waking phases, naturally. that's where dreams must be anchored into long term memory, as long term memory is deactivated during dream ad dreamless deep-sleep (says science, which has monitored average people ...) we just have the "knock yourself out" attitude, so we don't use the waking phase for being wakeful ie reflective. we have no intentions that are integrated into our live. just "not now, please". listening some weird hemi sync audio program is likely to awaken our intentions, when we are already awake in a technical (eeg) sense. until we get used to it.

R

Riva

I LOVE LUCID DREAMING. not because of lucid dreaming itself which i stopped doing once i managed to do it successfully but because i heard about lucid dreaming on star trek. i love star trek..................... and i managed to practice something which was taught in it.

if you have watched star trek you would know how hard it is to practice any of the other things. can't practice WARD DRIVE with your car could you?

anyway that being said i did manage to successfully lucid dream 2 3 times. then AS USUAL i lost interest. not because lucid dreaming is boring but because i managed to do it by which understand it.