• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lucid dreaming

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...which correlates to MBTI. J = left brain; P = right brain

different people have different theories on this, some thing
1) J = Left Brained; P = Right Brained
2) T = Left Brained; F = Right Brained
3) S = Left Brained; N = Right Brained

either way, as NFPs, we're right brained as hell :hifive:

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know. Feeling is usually a "core-brained" (the limbic system) thing, and thinking is usually a "front-brained" (frontal lobe) thing. As for N and S, I know the motor cortex is located in the lateral middle of the cerebral cortex across both hemispheres and the occipital lobe is located at the back of the cerebral cortex across both hemispheres as well, and S's probably have more connection to those. And I'm not exactly sure where iNtuition comes from, but I'm pretty sure it is more developed process, so it probably originates somewhere in the cerebral cortex.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I generally know that I am dreaming. However, being able to control a dream is a different matter. If anything, I'm just following a story my subconscious makes up.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I generally know that I am dreaming. However, being able to control a dream is a different matter. If anything, I'm just following a story my subconscious makes up.

I think I do this sometimes. However, whenever I start trying to control it, I wake up. :/

G

Ginkgo

It irks me when people act like there's some locus for one kind of super-general brain activity or another.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It irks me when people act like there's some locus for one kind of super-general brain activity or another.

Is it scientifically wrong? To be honest, this is only what I have been taught with no self-research.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, I do consider this a general "phenomena" where it either happens, or it just doesn't no matter what the person.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I do this sometimes. However, whenever I start trying to control it, I wake up. :/
I can't do very much in my dreams. To get anything, I have to picture them in drawers, and to get anywhere I have to use elevators, and to get anyone I have to call them on a phone. If I want anything badly enough I usually can't have it because my fear of not getting it results in various dream-forces stopping me from getting it. I'm wondering if views on the "controllability" of the dream world have to do with type. I'm also guessing it has to do with loci of control (possibly somewhat related to type). Also optimism/pessimism--the latter definitely is a large factor in my dreams.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find myself doing this, too. I'll wake up during the night because of a disturbing dream. It's like I always know in the back of my mind that I'm lucid dreaming, and I'll be prepared to do things like wake myself up or fly if something scary happens. I wonder why it works like this.

It's interesting, for myself I haven't had an actual 'nightmare' since I was a kid... and even as a kid, I can only think of one or two true nightmares. These days, dreams that I think 'normal' people would consider a nightmare/scary, I don't... I sometimes think it's because I'm aware it's a dream. So I'm honestly curious to see what will happen. I was even killed in one of my dreams a year or so ago, which was unusual/new, but I wasn't scared/didn't think it was a nightmare, because I knew it was a dream and again, I was curious... it was like..hmm, I've never died in a dream before, this is weird... what will happen? [and I presumably died, but I awoke shortly thereafter, or viewed my death from above (can't remember anymore)...sometimes I'm viewing things as if I'm behind a camera] In another dream it was implied something rather violent was going to occur to me, but I didn't actually experience it /didn't consider it a nightmare... again, I knew it was a dream, so wasn't as impacted by it I guess?

[Note: these more negative themes are few and far between in my dreams..not a common occurrence]

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's interesting, for myself I haven't had an actual 'nightmare' since I was a kid... and even as a kid, I can only think of one or two true nightmares. These days, dreams that I think 'normal' people would consider a nightmare/scary, I don't... I sometimes think it's because I'm aware it's a dream. So I'm honestly curious to see what will happen. I was even killed in one of my dreams a year or so ago, which was unusual/new, but I wasn't scared/didn't think it was a nightmare, because I knew it was a dream and again, I was curious... it was like..hmm, I've never died in a dream before, this is weird... what will happen? [and I presumably died, but I awoke shortly thereafter, or viewed my death from above (can't remember anymore)...sometimes I'm viewing things as if I'm behind a camera] In another dream it was implied something rather violent was going to occur to me, but I didn't actually experience it /didn't consider it a nightmare... again, I knew it was a dream, so wasn't as impacted by it I guess?

[Note: these more negative themes are few and far between in my dreams..not a common occurrence]

(in response to the bolded): Actually, I have quite a few friends who claim that they see their dreams in 3rd person. I wonder if there's anything significant behind that.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(in response to the bolded): Actually, I have quite a few friends who claim that they see their dreams in 3rd person. I wonder if there's anything significant behind that.

I've had a few dreams like that. Mostly I'm just really dissociated in my dreams. Dissociative drugs also induce out-of-body experiences. I wonder if they're related--if that feeling of surreality causes some people to just see the dream from third person.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

ENFPs are using one area on left side more than other types(mirroring others), Fi is on the right side, Te and Si on left. Intuition(i and e) uses all cerebral cortex regions and seems to be controlled by other regions, however its not this simple and Ni types are concentrating more on different regions than Ne types, but this is really just so complex and not fully understood yet

Snow Turtle

I can't do very much in my dreams. To get anything, I have to picture them in drawers, and to get anywhere I have to use elevators, and to get anyone I have to call them on a phone. If I want anything badly enough I usually can't have it because my fear of not getting it results in various dream-forces stopping me from getting it. I'm wondering if views on the "controllability" of the dream world have to do with type. I'm also guessing it has to do with loci of control (possibly somewhat related to type). Also optimism/pessimism--the latter definitely is a large factor in my dreams.

I looked into the optimism/pessimism.
There doesn't seem to be much difference, it's just that we're more aware of experiencing negative rather than positive feelings (same as real life I guess...). The standard idea is that negative feelings are there for protective purposes, it's just that it becomes counter productive after a certain point.

Loci of control sounds interesting though. I can definitely see that being true. As to your specific situation, I think that's just a personal barrier than something type specific.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I looked into the optimism/pessimism.
There doesn't seem to be much difference, it's just that we're more aware of experiencing negative rather than positive feelings (same as real life I guess...). The standard idea is that negative feelings are there for protective purposes, it's just that it becomes counter productive after a certain point.

Loci of control sounds interesting though. I can definitely see that being true. As to your specific situation, I think that's just a personal barrier than something type specific.

The thing is, it's all interpretation, even loci of control. But if we're more aware of negative events, we tend to interpret negative events in our lives as being more likely. And if we have an external locus of control, we tend to think of these negative events as the result of our being in a crappy situation. And I think this would translate into our dreamworld as situations going against how you intended them to go.

Maybe NPs are overrepresented here, but I wonder if Ne types with their lack of Si tend to see the world as a place that is very hard to manipulate practicality wise. Wow, I phrased that terribly. I know for a fact that I see the world as this kind of place.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i have very vivid dreams, i dream a lot, the details are not super important but there are always a lot of adventures, the plot is super intricate and well constructed. it's weird, honestly. and the weirdest thing is that often there are quotes from famous people that i didn't know (or didn't know i know) or new pieces of information that i don't understand how my brain can fabricate (since i'm not supposed to know). oh, and i0m an enfp.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I can dream music and I wake up having the song in my head for the rest of the day.

However I haven't had a lucid dream in a while. I just get too excited as soon as I realise it's a dream...

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I used to have fantastic lucid dreams when I was younger, but unfortunately as I got older this became less and less common until they stopped altogether. Now I just get those 'gone in a blink of an eye and remembered in bits' dreams.

Shame, as I used to go to a lovely place in my lucid one which was also recurring for me.