• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who don't know how to be bored

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People who can't handle boredom. What is their deal?

I'm not saying boredom is great or anything, but for just a little bit of it drive them crazy???? :huh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't tolerate it well. It feels like my skin is going to vibrate off my body and crawl away.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I know no misery like sitting and having to listen to a boring presentation. Last time I had to was church on Christmas eve 2012. Let's see... first I tried to listen, then I tried not to listen, then I started thinking about how much I resented life and society for being as it is, then I spent the rest of the service wishing I was dead, literally, which made it really odd to lip sing Silent Night with the congregation at the end while holding a candle and half-heartedly pretending I wasn't in a state of near-catatonic despair.

Then again, maybe it was more recent. I went to some quantified self meetup, and some bastard did a presentation on urban tree population that made me feel like a terrible person, because god damn by the end I didn't give a fuck. Stood there for 30 minutes talking about trees downtown. And other people were like, asking questions and stuff, as if they cared?? Did they??? Like what the fuck is wrong with me?

That's just where boredom tends to steer me.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You guys are amateurs.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Oh no, I'm a pro.

I've spent lots of time in church and chapel services, school meetings, school holiday programs, band and choir performances. I can do it if I have to, but I've never gained much of a tolerance for it and I have to have a pretty good reason for enduring it now.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Boredom are for people who don't want to do anything. :D

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get bored. If I'm not interested in what is happening, my eyes will glaze over and I'll just do something more interesting in my head. ;)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I once sat for 4 and a half hours in order to receive a 1 minute x-ray of a tooth and a 30 second review by the dentist at the hospital I went to.

I was patient the entire time.

I once sat for 30 seconds during a viewing of Songs Of Praise with my grandmother...

...and wen't insane.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Let me read my paperback and I'll wait patiently for hours. Make me politely pay attention to your thingamabob for fifteen minutes and there's a 75% chance I'm chewing my leg off in my head.

G

garbage

I lack the patience to pay attention to things that I 'have' to if they are themselves boring. Though, things are.. more interesting if I see value in them (e.g. better pay some damn attention to this lecture if you want an A in this class, son).

If there's nothing specifically that I 'have' to pay attention to--that is, talking about general boredom (waiting around in a doctor's office or a party that wasn't quite what I thought it was)..
I don't get bored. If I'm not interested in what is happening, my eyes will glaze over and I'll just do something more interesting in my head. ;)
Pretty much this.

When there's some very distracting external stimuli, though, it's hard for me to tune it out and concentrate on doing something more interesting in my head. Then I get bored :irked:

I also have way too acute eyesight and hearing, so even a lil' but of external stimuli can be very distracting. :irked:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how do you not know how to be bored? sometimes being not bored isn't an option.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty much this.

When there's some very distracting external stimuli, though, it's hard for me to tune it out and concentrate on doing something more interesting in my head. Then I get bored :irked:

I also have way too acute eyesight and hearing, so even a lil' but of external stimuli can be very distracting. :irked:

I am the master of tuning everything out and becoming wholly absorbed in my thoughts while externally displaying resting bitchface. Years of practice. :D

G

garbage

I am the master of tuning everything out and becoming wholly absorbed in my thoughts while externally displaying resting bitchface. Years of practice. :D
I'm overwhelmed with jealousy

Although, I sometimes carry earplugs around. I have a pair sitting at my desk right now. They are a godsend.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once bored, it won't take long before I seek and find something to put my mind to.

However, sometimes I also enjoy a little daydreaming. In which case not much is going to be done.

Still, whatever the case, I am rarily bored for very long. :D

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
People who can't handle boredom. What is their deal?

I'm not saying boredom is great or anything, but for just a little bit of it drive them crazy???? :huh:

This is why my purse weighs so much.

Yeah, I can't handle boredom. It makes me want to cry and throw tantrums. Sometimes, it actually makes me cry and throw tantrums.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

But what if you have to pay attention to the boring stimulus? Let's say a boring lecture/textbook.

During class, I've resorted to rudely using my phone to browse the interwebs while half listening to the lecture in order to stay awake. However, I'm sure that doesn't put me in a great relationship with the professors.

On another random note, I've nicknamed one of my boring professors "Noodles."

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But what if you have to pay attention to the boring stimulus? Let's say a boring lecture/textbook.

During class, I've resorted to rudely using my phone to browse the interwebs while half listening to the lecture in order to stay awake. However, I'm sure that doesn't put me in a great relationship with the professors.

On another random note, I've nicknamed one of my boring professors "Noodles."

Aha, noodles. :happy2:

I do what you do. I half-listen. It's common to use a laptop in class, so I fart around on the internet or do work for other classes if the teacher is covering something I already know or don't find useful. For example, my medical communications class has been covering grammar. Snore. Medical terminology homework instead.

If I miss anything from the half-listening, the classmates I sit next to fill me in. I do the same for them.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've recently realized this "fear" of being bored is behind most of my anger issues. i mean...not that i have anger issues haha but when i get mad for seemingly no reason. it's usually because something occurred that ended up making me be really bored.

i'm not bored when i'm at home doing nothing. i'm not usually bored eating alone somewhere public...but get me alone somewhere with no way to entertain myself...like my phone dies or something...or i'm waiting for someone or something..oh dear god....i hate to wait. maybe it's not the boredom factor as much as it is the being stuck factor...i need to be able to escape the boringness.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
i've recently realized this "fear" of being bored is behind most of my anger issues. i mean...not that i have anger issues haha but when i get mad for seemingly no reason. it's usually because something occurred that ended up making me be really bored.

i'm not bored when i'm at home doing nothing. i'm not usually bored eating alone somewhere public...but get me alone somewhere with no way to entertain myself...like my phone dies or something...or i'm waiting for someone or something..oh dear god....i hate to wait. maybe it's not the boredom factor as much as it is the being stuck factor...i need to be able to escape the boringness.
This is an interesting phenomenon that I've never heard of before. Is it common for people to become angry when bored?