• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Psychology of Obsession

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Anyone understand the psychology behind obsession? Why it happens, etc?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One aspect can come from facing an unsolvable problem on one level, and re-contextualizing it in an attempt to control it. People who lack control over some aspect of self may take it to the social level of self and attempt to control others because it is easier and more possible to achieve.

If a person feels rejected socially and does not possess the tools to correct the problem, they may internalize the rejection and take it upon some aspect of self they feel they can control.

There is a drive to resolve something that feels beyond the control of the individual. This can result in the person re-contextualizing the problem in some other way that they feel more ability to resolve on a surface level because it serves as a proxy. Because this cannot solve the original problem, it can turn into an obsession.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are we talking about obsession with people, or obession with ideas, or both?

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, as an INFP, I believe my functions are tied into obsessive/addictive behaviour..
Fi- Attaching positive emotional significance to the obsession, desiring that feeling again, connecting it to my values, etc.
Ne- Looking forward to the obsession/putting my hope in when it will happen again/daydreaming about new possibilities in the realm of my obsession
Si- Remembering the experience intensely (self-explanatory)

And then there's being sx (all or nothing) which is essentially the definition of obsessive

Do you find yourself obsessing over things?

aletis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you find yourself obsessing over things?

Yes, I do.

Obssesion to me is the "little scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you would stop tonguing it, but you can't."

To me, it's about the lack of fulfillment I sometimes feel in my life that lets me wonder to these useless train of thoughts and I find myself obsessing over people, things, subjects, etc. It's both entertaining and annoying. And exhausting.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have been caught in an obsessive type mind loop when I have something unresolved- particularly a conflict with another person, people, work or close loved one. Until I resolve this people conflict- it stays stuck in my head. I do have a relative that I believe suffers from some level of OCD. It's annoying- but I guess we all have it a little bit.

I know thinker types that obsess and OVER THINK and OVER ANALYZE stuff to the point that I'm exhausted just thinking about how much they are thinking.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to be obsessed with this funny kid's Let's Plays 3 years ago:

Solar Plexus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, as an INFP, I believe my functions are tied into obsessive/addictive behaviour..
Fi- Attaching positive emotional significance to the obsession, desiring that feeling again, connecting it to my values, etc.
Ne- Looking forward to the obsession/putting my hope in when it will happen again/daydreaming about new possibilities in the realm of my obsession
Si- Remembering the experience intensely (self-explanatory)

And then there's being sx (all or nothing) which is essentially the definition of obsessive

I have to agree with you here. Throughout my life, I have dealt with obsessions to varying degrees involving ideas, philosophies, different forms of cultural art and professional/educational or personal pursuits. Even my interest in psychology, to some people, would be considered obsessive. Though I'm not sure the extent of my obsessions is really that different from more socially acceptable interests, like sports. Certainly, the amount of energy, money and emotion that many sports fans invest in their teams would constitute an obsession, even to an unhealthy degree.