User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Emotional Blindspots

Are there certain emotions you have trouble experiencing yourself or perceiving in others?

I have been discovering that I tend to be oblivious to anger. Lots of time i miss it when someone is angry - i just think they are anxious, deep in thought, or maybe joking. I don't often feel anger, so i don't expect it in others. This actually gets me into a little bit of trouble occasionally. I've just had people surprise me that they are actually angry, or apologize to me for being angry when i never noticed.

It's a peculiar feeling to come to this realization, and i was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences something like it?
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

For me it's the negative emotions that I have trouble with, anger and anxiety are the most difficult. Expressing sadness is not a problem for me.

Senior Membrane
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Sexual ambition, for lack of a better term. Some friends of mine can spot it in others, I am almost blind as a bat in the presence of it.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think the depth of anger is a problem for many NFJs. I want to believe that all of my motives are altruistic and that other people are that way too, so I tend to (or used to) tamp down my anger until I exploded. THEN I'd become aware of how angry I was.

I don't acknowledge emotional cruelty either. I tend to sweep it under the rug because I don't want people to think I'm a crybaby.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can perceive what emotions people have and what(when I have one. Often time I simply ignore the person.)my responding emotion is fairly easily. The difficulty I have the most problems with is finding out what emotion they want me to have as a reaction ie the emotion that will solve the dispute so I can get back to whatever the hell I was doing before they interrupted me with their petty opinions and emotions.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

Senior Membrane
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I don't acknowledge emotional cruelty either. I tend to sweep it under the rug because I don't want people to think I'm a crybaby.
    Sometimes cruelty doesn't register on my radar at all, unless it's in a more extreme or obvious manner. Passive aggression often misses the radar (or barely makes a blip) for similar reasons.
    The degree of obliviousness for those two depend mostly on how "numb" or stupid I feel at that time.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Are there certain emotions you have trouble experiencing yourself or perceiving in others?

I have been discovering that I tend to be oblivious to anger. Lots of time i miss it when someone is angry - i just think they are anxious, deep in thought, or maybe joking. I don't often feel anger, so i don't expect it in others. This actually gets me into a little bit of trouble occasionally. I've just had people surprise me that they are actually angry, or apologize to me for being angry when i never noticed.

It's a peculiar feeling to come to this realization, and i was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences something like it?
    I don't experience most emotions very often. I rarely get angry, sad, or excited. Most of the time I'm just optimistic and moderately happy. I probably come across as fake to a lot of people who can't relate to that.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sadness for me. I can recognize it somewhat in other people, but in me I wouldn't be able to tell. Either I don't feel it, or it doesn't translate well. Even in a depressive state, I couldn't ever categorize myself as being sad, as I tend to become too emotionally apathetic to recognize that it exists.

Also, even though I do recognize it in other people, I am bad at responding to it. My friends have already learned this and have back-up plans if they actually need to talk about that sort of thing, heh. It sounds terrible, but I honestly have no way of responding without unintentionally making it worse.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My "people radar" had to be so hypersensitive growing up, I think I probably tend to read in too much rather than not notice a particular emotion at all.

I also find that my thinking could ruin my emotion perception: There are lots of things I actually pick up on but when i think about them too much (overanalyze), I confuse myself.

As far as my own emotions, the last few years have been a revelation for me in regards to a few emotions:

- Deep-seated desire (I had trouble knowing what I really wanted)
    - Anger (I didn't realize how mad I was over something = hurt over something)
    - Disappointment in others or a situation.

All emotions I had learned to ignore/neglect as a child, to survive my life. But you can tear down the blocks and "regain" them, I think.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm a disallower of disappointment too.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic