• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shying away from private messaging...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I typically shy away from PMs from strangers or people i don't know well at all, but will occasionally respond. I am overall shy and a little anxious of strangers - especially if they are prone to misunderstanding.

I prefer PMs with the posters I know or who's posts and humor i understand. :party2:

MBTI Type
INTJ
What are rep comments??

They're a quick way to send a note to another member regarding a particular post. If you look under the avatar, each post has a little white symbol of a scale. Click it and you can write a short note to the person that made that post.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I like getting PMs, especially if there's something to PM about. It would be kind of weird to get a random one, just because someone wanted to say hi, if we'd never interacted before. I would probably not know what to do. But if I've interacted with you on the boards or we've sent each other rep, or whatever, I'm totally cool with PMs.

I really love the rep system, now that it's just a comment system and not point-related. I like being able to shoot a sentence to someone without having to compose something longwinded.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for answering my question. I'm so going to go leave a million rep comments now...teeheehee....

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I enjoy PMs.

Some of you are very brilliant thinkers.

I enjoy learning from you. I hope to absorb more.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I receive an unsolicited PM, and I'm likely to return it. I'm reluctant to send one myself, though. The exception is usually when I want to respond to a rep comment without the confusion of repping a post unrelated to the topic.
Essentially the same here.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I should add that once I know someone reasonably well I welcome PMs.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
This is pure speculation on my part but I think that extroverts would be more inclined to utilize PM.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I usually don't pm as much as I just post in public. I think I get a bikt more personal inPM's, but thats about it.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I like PMing far more then posting 'out in the open'. I like it because it is personal and you get to see what people are really like rather then the show they are putting on.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
That's very perceptive. Not to contradict you, but I've noticed a lot of consistency between public and private persona's.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I find that surprising, actually.
Please take a look at my post count and join-date, seeing how I have at least some semblance of an actual life, where and when would I find the time to PM while on here?!?!?

There is only one member that I pm on a frequent/consistent basis, other than that, I rarely pm.

I do, too.
Jesus Christ, I would *absolutely love* to hear your crackpot theories as to why.

:rolli:

This is pure speculation on my part but I think that extroverts would be more inclined to utilize PM.
Lol, an internet forum is soooooooooo the ultimate haven for introverts to "act" out, or exhibit, or manifest their latent extroverted sides.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like PMing far more then posting 'out in the open'. I like it because it is personal and you get to see what people are really like rather then the show they are putting on.
This idea/concept frightens me a bit.

I am a relatively new user of the internet and to foruming.

I have met/spoke and hung out with people from this and my old forum.

My persona here, and my personality in real life are fairly consistent.

Are people just playing out weird fantasy roles here?!?!?

Me no likey!

:cry:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Not to be a contrarian but I'm actually the opposite. IRL I'm very outgoing, effusive, etc however online I am very reserved.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

So, what am I really like? :D